Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed an audible sound emitting from the front end of my vehicle yesterday. Its tearing me apart b/c I dont know what it is. I also dont know who to take it to for this kind of thing.

Noise description:
Similar to the sound of screw that is bouncing around within a thread cylinder that is stripped.
Very very quiet, only audible in the cabin, coming from drivers side I think. Seems as if it is coming out of the guages or out of one of the vents?? I tried switching climate controls, noise still comes.
Only starts being audible once above 25MPH, in 3rd gear. It is a speed sensitive noise, if speed drops below 25-30mph then it goes away.
Sounds like a "plasticy rattle". At first I was worried it was my CV axle but I dont think so anymore. No noise when turning (at low speeds). When on highway it is very audible - medium level plasticy rattling sound. I tried pushing in and securing different parts of the interior to see if something was loose to no avail. Frequency of rattle increases with speed. Begins to sound like a bee buzzing once reaching highway speeds. I have a suspicion it may be coming from the steering column, but again, I really cant tell, since its only audible when at high speeds, and comes from the drivers side.

If anyone has any suggestions on what to do or check or where to go for such a problem, it would be much obliged.
car is 96 Impreza
-C.D.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XTi
1,005 Posts
Sounds like something is loose. Did you check the front end for anything that may be hitting against something else? Sorry, I know nothing more. :p

·
Registered
26,087 Posts
wheel bearings?

·
Registered
286 Posts
Install a new stereo? May be some sort of EMI. Happened to me when I stuck a bunch of heavy amps and crap in my car.

Also, have someone else drive, and listen from the passanger seat and back seat. You would be amazed at how much that effects your perception.

Um......if it sounds plasticy, it may also just be one of those lovely subaru rattles that comes with age. I rally-x my car and I have tons of rattles.

·
13 Years of RS
2005 Toyota Corolla :(
5,532 Posts
Does it go away if you turn your fan off? My fan make a sound that think sounds similar, and it changes it's pitch with speed differences, but goes away as soon as I turn the fan off. I know, it makes no sense, but that's what my car does.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think this one qualifies under one of those lovely Subaru rattles after a day of RallyX.

Which bothers me as well, b/c I am thinking of dumping a "small" amount of "big" cash into this "little" car. :confused:

·
Registered
28 Posts
steering column plastic

I had the same sound you describe and found that it was the steering column plastic. When you here the sound hold down on the plastic and see if it goes away.

Luke

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I tried that very thing, but it seems that the sound is either eminating from INSIDE the steering column plastic and doesnt stop when i touch the column, or it is coming from one of the two vents located left of the driver.

Is there some possibility of wires inside the steering column vibrating or other plastic shit vibrating??

Damn this is frustrating, because you dont know whether or not the problem is major or it could be trivial.

Is it worth going to the dealer to have them look at something like this? Especially when I have a road trip this weekend down to the Subaru meet in Milwaukee?

Frustrated,
-C.D.

·
Registered
28 Posts
remove and re-install anyways

I would say remove and reinstall it anyways. What you describe is exactly what I heard. Sounded like it was coming from the vents even like you say. And like a previous poster said, where the rattle sounds like it is coming from can be deceptive. If the piece itself is not loose, there may be something inside it that is. Mine was actually loose, when I pushed sideways on it with my left hand the rattle would stop.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The noise seems to have disappeared. A few days ago it was still present, then all of a sudden at 35mph i heard a loud shrill of plastic on plastic and then silence of that noise. Since then it has not reoccured. I touched nothing on the steering column, and did not dissassemble anything either. It just went away. Huh.:confused:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts