Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
FX45, 2008
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I was lying down in my driveway the other day and I noticed what I thought was an odd looking rock stuck inbetween my tread. - Turns out, its a fwackin' nail! - My tires are in really good condition, under 1k on them...

My driving habbits are not abusive since I dont really have the power, and ocassionally I will take it trailing through mud and dirt roads...

My question is, would it be smarter to replace the tire?? Or just get it patched? - I have heard that patching causing balls, and lumps and such...

It is not losing air, and the nail is only about an inch long or less (I havent taken it out, I just know exactly where the nail came from)

·
Registered
99 impreza rs 2.5 black
870 Posts
Getting it patched from the inside is the recomended method Im pretty sure.
The nail will wear down and then youll have a leak or a blowout.

edit unless its in a tread block and didnt go all the way through

·
Registered
FX45, 2008
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am sure it went through, it might be BARELY poking through, but I am sure it is through.

So getting it patched wont really be any harm down the road? - I am just hoping to change my tires out all at once, but I guess that is wishful thinking

Thanks guys!

·
who's poppin tec?
01 AW RS 4dr
328 Posts
Take it in and tell where ever you take i that you ant a seperated pull stem and patch to repair the tire. Thats if it went all the way through, like the previous poster said it may just be stuck in a tread block. But get it fix ASAP before you drive on it more and actually push the nail though. Or you could just take off th wheel, pull out the nail and spray it with some soapy water and see if it bubbles, if it does then theres a leak if not, then your all set. And if it does leak through on the spare and take it in to get fixed. But since the tire has 1k on it seems like a waste to just replace the tire. But I should as is the nail in the main tread area of is it near the sidewall? If its near the sidewall then yeah the tire it probably shot.

·
Registered
2000 EJ257 Swapped RS
548 Posts
Just buy one of the patch kits and do it yourself....its not too tough. Ive had patches hold for a long time doin it that way. But, its up to you

·
Registered
2000 2.5 RS Impreza 4 door
3,408 Posts
I got a big nail in my tire about 2 weeks after I got them installed. :mad: Get it patched (not plugged), to do that youll have to get a shop to remove the tire, put on the patch, burn the patch to melt it on, then balance the tire again.

·
I ❤ BOOBIES
99 Coupe
17,046 Posts
Patch, if its a low-pro tire the plug will back out, i see it all the time, take it to a stealership or tire center and tell them to "Patch" it, make sure they dont plug it cause some of those kids changing your tires are fresh out of 9th grade, lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts