Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

161 - 180 of 3756 Posts

·
Registered
'02 Impreza RS
154 Posts
Thanks for the input. No, no short shifter but was thinking about an upgrade to the Short Throw 5-speed linkage that Subaru offers. Would like the more spirited drive if I've got to put up with a notchy shift either way

Cut out looks FULLY sick dood!!! Can't wait to see the progress on this!

One other thing, I'm running a very similiar exhaust setup to yours:
Borla UEL's
Stromung HFC
Magnaflow 18'' "Glasspack" Resonator &
A Magnaflow muffler for the time being until I upgrade to the Stromung Dual or XA

I temporarily made this switch to the Magna Muffler bc of the tin can I had on there with a baffled '07 WRX axleback. The tone is a dream, deep as can be but the rasp still kicks in at around a blipped throttle of 4k+. It's much more quieted and tamed but it's still there. Question being, your experience with this Moroso being a non-fiberglass pack... do you think the upgrade to one will settle my rasp? Aka, how much exactly do you stand by this piece? Bc my shop gave me the option to upgrade if I wasn't happy

·
Registered
1998 Subaru Impreza L
249 Posts
Does that High heat paint and HFC pipe reduce or get rid of rasppiness? Also, what exactly is your intake system and will it fit on a GC?

·
Registered
05 STi WannaBE
6,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #163
Thanks for the input. No, no short shifter but was thinking about an upgrade to the Short Throw 5-speed linkage that Subaru offers. Would like the more spirited drive if I've got to put up with a notchy shift either way

Cut out looks FULLY sick dood!!! Can't wait to see the progress on this!

One other thing, I'm running a very similiar exhaust setup to yours:
Borla UEL's
Stromung HFC
Magnaflow 18'' "Glasspack" Resonator &
A Magnaflow muffler for the time being until I upgrade to the Stromung Dual or XA

I temporarily made this switch to the Magna Muffler bc of the tin can I had on there with a baffled '07 WRX axleback. The tone is a dream, deep as can be but the rasp still kicks in at around a blipped throttle of 4k+. It's much more quieted and tamed but it's still there. Question being, your experience with this Moroso being a non-fiberglass pack... do you think the upgrade to one will settle my rasp? Aka, how much exactly do you stand by this piece? Bc my shop gave me the option to upgrade if I wasn't happy
Ive only had experience with the Moroso Spiral on my other car which had a side pipe (super short exhaust). It was basically headers>HFC>Moroso Spiral> Exhaust Tip right before the driver side tire. I drag raced the sh** out of that car and it never changed its low note on me once. Even though it was a short muffler it still muffled the tone compared to open headers. With that being said, Im not sure exactly how its gonna sound on our Subarus but I will do a before and after video with the sound change.

Does that High heat paint and HFC pipe reduce or get rid of rasppiness? Also, what exactly is your intake system and will it fit on a GC?
The high heat paint combined with the header wrap will keep some of the noise tone lower but more importantly it will keep the heat inside of the piping - were it belongs. As far as the intake system I have. Its a complete custom made design which consist of >oem torque box, cut Injen intake piping, K&N Apollo filter with added intake ram piping. It wouldnt be too hard to create your own it just depends if your intake system uses MAP or MAF.

·
Registered
1998 Subaru Impreza L
249 Posts
Mine uses MAF. I was just going to custom make my own, and I liked the way yours was set up, so I wanted to try to do something similar for MAF.

·
Registered
07 2.5i
1,189 Posts
This is an OLDER example of making a hybrid intake system. I used a cheaply bought Weapon R Secret Weapon intake system from an 06 and chopped it to fit as a hybrid system. More info on the different systems can be found at the link below.
A Problem with CAI/SRIs and an Alternative (yes, finally)

im just wondering how you liked this setup?
i was gonna try this with my 07
with a normal short ram my low end torque sucks @#@$ :(

·
Registered
05 STi WannaBE
6,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #167 (Edited)
im just wondering how you liked this setup?
i was gonna try this with my 07
with a normal short ram my low end torque sucks @#@$ :(
This setup AKA "hybrid", was nice on the highway and in higher RPMs but the low end torque still sucked. The stock torque box is what you want to keep if you crave for the low end torque. My current system gives me the best of both worlds: torque box for the low end and a high flow enclosed cone filter for higher RPMs. Plus with the short ram intake your sucking in all that hot engine air which in turn lowers your power output. The colder the air charge the denser the air the more power your engine will make.

Looking forward to the sound of the Moroso on the Suby. Again, gonna be a sight to see that cutout!

What kinda car was it you were dragging and had the Moroso strapped onto? Must be somethin mean cause that sounds pretty BAMF to just have a header and HFC to a hollow tip muffler!
My first car (1989 2.3 N/A Isuzu Impulse) is the one I used to drag race. The stock exhaust on that car had a horrible 90 degree bend on it to go around the rear axle so I needed something short and sweet. The car was only a 2.3L inline 4 to the rear wheels but it could handle like it was on rails with the Lotus tuned suspension.

·
Registered
05 STi WannaBE
6,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #169

·
Registered
1998 Subaru Impreza L
249 Posts
Damnnnnnn.

I have the same Struming exhaust, but mine hangs kind of lopsided. Do those Exhaust hangers help with that, or should I just try to realign the way it sits?

·
Registered
05 STi WannaBE
6,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #171
Damnnnnnn.

I have the same Struming exhaust, but mine hangs kind of lopsided. Do those Exhaust hangers help with that, or should I just try to realign the way it sits?
Lopsided how? Like the two tips arent perfectly horizontal? New tighter/stiffer hangers might fix that if your current ones are worn out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Great car you have there! I was starting to think no one got inspired about the 2004-2005 RS since there is so much interest in the older 2 door version. I have an 04 2.5 RS, and I'd love to have a lot of the modifications that you have done on my car!

·
Registered
05 STi WannaBE
6,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #175
Great car you have there! I was starting to think no one got inspired about the 2004-2005 RS since there is so much interest in the older 2 door version. I have an 04 2.5 RS, and I'd love to have a lot of the modifications that you have done on my car!
Thanks, cbrinega. Its funny because most of, if not all my local Suby buddies either own a WRX or STi the same year as mine. In the beginning they all used to ask me, "Why the hell did you get a non-turbo?" But now find out that my car stands out from the crowd and its not so plane jane. You can only go so fast on the public roads so therefore I chose a ride that can handle instead of go fast with the option of doing a swap later on.
"It's a lot more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow"

yea. I'm going to check it out on Wednesday when we are under the car installing my RSB and new front axles.
Thats going to be a fun project for you. Which RSB are you going with?

i actually have one of those apollo filters...
might try the same thing as you
The thing that got me into the Apollo filter is that its inclosed and it stays in the engine bay as opposed to a CAI where the filter sits in the fender and might get wet.

·
Registered
07 2.5i
1,189 Posts
The thing that got me into the Apollo filter is that its inclosed and it stays in the engine bay as opposed to a CAI where the filter sits in the fender and might get wet.
yeah but arent you still running a slight risk of taking in water...
or am i over estimating the force of the intake

·
Registered
05 STi WannaBE
6,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #177
yeah but arent you still running a slight risk of taking in water...
or am i over estimating the force of the intake
In heavy rain, you will take in water droplets but thats not going to stop your engine. Actually a little mist of water will add performance to your engine. Its been talked about before with us N/A guys trying to use the same water injection method the turbo people use to increase power output, but it never got anywhere. Now the chances that the engine will be able to suck in a huge amount of water up that entire intake tube is very slim. Youve got our friend gravity to thank for this. I woundnt worry about it. Besides, you can always disconnect the fender tube from the filter portion from the engine bay.

·
Registered
07 2.5i
1,189 Posts
In heavy rain, you will take in water droplets but thats not going to stop your engine. Actually a little mist of water will add performance to your engine. Its been talked about before with us N/A guys trying to use the same water injection method the turbo people use to increase power output, but it never got anywhere. Now the chances that the engine will be able to suck in a huge amount of water up that entire intake tube is very slim. Youve got our friend gravity to thank for this. I woundnt worry about it. Besides, you can always disconnect the fender tube from the filter portion from the engine bay.

yeah your right any rainy day you could disconnect the tube and run a short ram for the day....
only problem is i live in chicago where it snows for 4 months out of the year
i was gonna run it through the fog light like you did but i think ill just stick in in the fender by the wheel where a normal CAI resides and then everything would be dry :)
its a creative idea...i thought about doing it with the apollo months ago but never got around to it
looks like you beat me to it

·
Registered
05 STi WannaBE
6,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #179
yeah your right any rainy day you could disconnect the tube and run a short ram for the day....
only problem is i live in chicago where it snows for 4 months out of the year
i was gonna run it through the fog light like you did but i think ill just stick in in the fender by the wheel where a normal CAI resides and then everything would be dry :)
its a creative idea...i thought about doing it with the apollo months ago but never got around to it
looks like you beat me to it
Thats actually just as good. Its also the way the older Cobb CAI systems are designed - with an inclosed filter in the engine bay and a shorter tube into the fender but not all the way down.

·
Registered
07 2.5i
1,189 Posts
Thats actually just as good. Its also the way the older Cobb CAI systems are designed - with an inclosed filter in the engine bay and a shorter tube into the fender but not all the way down.
honestly it sounds like the perfect intake
you get the colder air
and no chance of water crawling in your engine
now i have something to do this weekend

161 - 180 of 3756 Posts