Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

141 - 160 of 3756 Posts

·
Registered
2004, Subaru Impreza RS, Black
54 Posts
Hot car! Lovin all the tech pics! Nice to see something familiar. Is this an '04? Mine's not so clean. It's an '04 with 162K. Trying to give it some TLC before I do the fun stuff!

·
Registered
05 STi WannaBE
6,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #142
Hot car! Lovin all the tech pics! Nice to see something familiar. Is this an '04? Mine's not so clean. It's an '04 with 162K. Trying to give it some TLC before I do the fun stuff!
Thanks, Ive got an 05. The main differences is that you have a different intake design and possibly still have a throttle cable. Im not too sure on that though. Remember, the fun on these cars dont start happening until you do the suspension. I bought my car completely stock and it drove like a granny car until I slowly tightened up the suspension and now its like night and day.

·
Registered
2004, Subaru Impreza RS, Black
54 Posts
Ok...so tell me about suspension? Tell me what to look for on it, and what to look for as far as replacements or adjustments....It feels really tight driving it now, but maybe it could be better. Also, still trying to find out what the previous owner did. I got this without any mechanical history and learning about it at the same time so still kind of at beginning stages...but it's sooo much fun!

·
Registered
05 STi WannaBE
6,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #144 (Edited)
Ok...so tell me about suspension? Tell me what to look for on it, and what to look for as far as replacements or adjustments....It feels really tight driving it now, but maybe it could be better. Also, still trying to find out what the previous owner did. I got this without any mechanical history and learning about it at the same time so still kind of at beginning stages...but it's sooo much fun!
Heres what I did to improve the handling:

1st, I bought Cusco front and rear strut bars. (The rear one is a PITA to install because you have to remove the rear seats). This add on will help keep the body of your car rigid during cornering

2nd, I installed a much thicker rear sway bar from Cobb and Whiteline endlinks. They dont sell the Cobb sway bar anymore but you can buy a high quality one from here: Product Search This modification will make you ride handle tighter during cornering considering how small and pencil thin the stock bar is

3rd, I was able to find a super crazy deal on a set of Prodrive springs on 06 WRX struts on e bay. They were simple plug and play and once they were on, my car didnt bounce as much and it lowered very nicely (not too low or too stiff). Stiffer springs will give you car a better overal handling and stance

Thats as far as major suspension mods goes for now. I have alot of other smaller upgrades particularly my rear end bushings and if you check out my second blog entry, you can find everything Ive installed and where to buy.

http://www.rs25.com/forums/f145/t131790-thegoldenfists-05-aspen-white-impreza.html#post2052860

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
2017 STi
9,572 Posts
The car is coming along great! Soooo sexy!

I may have missed it, but do you have any soundclips of the exhaust setup

·
Registered
05 STi WannaBE
6,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #148
Are all the above statements evaluations of your own or theories based on other's reports? lol
Good question Deimus85, these modifications in particular I have felt a huge difference after installing them. I didnt install them all at once but little by little and I noticed a change in handling everytime. Now there are some modifications/upgrades that I performed on my car that I really didnt feel an improvement with. For example: solid aluminum propeller shaft mounts, throttle body spacer to name a few. Most of your bushing replacments are just gonna add more NVH than anything else.

·
Registered
'05 2.5RS Wagon
69 Posts
3rd, I was able to find a super crazy deal on a set of Prodrive springs on 06 WRX struts on e bay. They were simple plug and play and once they were on, my car didnt bounce as much and it lowered very nicely (not too low or too stiff). Stiffer springs will give you car a better overal handling and stance
I was looking at a similar setup (Eibach springs) before I found out I will rebuilding my engine. I really like the height. (for the price) would you have made any changes to it, how is the front clearance as well, I also have the corner splitters and lip on my 05 and scrape at times if i am not paying attention.

·
Registered
05 STi WannaBE
6,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #150
I was looking at a similar setup (Eibach springs) before I found out I will rebuilding my engine. I really like the height. (for the price) would you have made any changes to it, how is the front clearance as well, I also have the corner splitters and lip on my 05 and scrape at times if i am not paying attention.
I got really lucky with the price of the spring and strut combo. I bought them used off e bay and I think I paid maybe $350 shipped for everything. At the time I was looking to buy the Eibach ones but then found the Prodrive setup. I think the Prodrives are actually Eibach made but then Prodrive does something to them to make them stiffer. I would not change a thing on this setup. They remain stiff enough to reduce body roll in cornering and dont bounce like cut springs. I didnt want a total drop or the harsh stiffness like with coilovers. After adding the springs and struts I did seem to scrape here and there while coming out of parking lots to streets but now since I have the V-limited front lip, Im scraping alot more.

·
Registered
05 STi WannaBE
6,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #151 (Edited)
Today I did some maintenance before the cold weather starts creeping up.

Car mileage: 82283
Oil change
Filter Change
MAF cleaned
Air hosed out the air filter

Yeah its a mustang filter.

With a filter this big, its very wise to fill the filter with oil before installing.

I also made some race ramps out of some left over decking wood. Ever since I installed the front lip I couldn’t fit the jack under the front end. So instead of buying some name brand race ramps I made my own and they work like a charm. The car gets high enough that I don’t even need to use a jack to change the oil.

I also reinforced the K&N intake tube so that it doesnt rattle under full throttle.

Then I decided to zip tie the fog cover surround to the car.

Fixed the fender lining tear.

·
Registered
05 STi WannaBE
6,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #153
i love the fact that you have 06 tail lights
it just looks badass
Thanks. Alot of people dont like the chromed out version but I really like em too. I just love the way the 06-07 tails flow more smoothly with no circle indentation unlike the 04-05 ones.

·
Scooter Stunt Man
1999 2.5OBS
422 Posts
by far the best and most well put together journal. everything you do to your car, i can tell you take great pride in it and enjoy doing it the right way the first time. every time i look in here i get inspired to work on my car.

·
Registered
05 STi WannaBE
6,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #157
i hate the chrome in it so i ended up tinting the bottom half...works for me
now im considering getting 05 tails...
I think the chrome looks best on the white Imprezas but I Ive seen the bottom half tinted on other cars and it does look pretty nice.

by far the best and most well put together journal. everything you do to your car, i can tell you take great pride in it and enjoy doing it the right way the first time. every time i look in here i get inspired to work on my car.
Thanks Larlar, my car is my hobby and its what I do to keep my brain away from work when Im off. There is alot of thought/planning into the things I do to my RS but I dont get it always right the first time around. Sometimes it takes me 2-3 times to get it just the way I want it. Even if its something I cannot see, its still in the back of my mind bothering me until I fix it.

I've seen this car in person. Very clean. What all have you done to it since the Three Amogos Meet?
Thanks Abel. Ive done quite a few smaller things like bushing upgrades and exhaust work but the one upgrade I could have used the most at the meet/cruise was the slotted DBA rotors and hawk pads I just recently installed. I neglected my old worn out rotors and pads for too long and just recently after doing the brake upgrade there came a situation where I had to brake hard and the new upgrades saved my car and possibly my life - Literally.

I cant wait for next years meet.

BTW, your Stoptechs are calling for you. :lol: JK, there still safe and sound here for you.

·
Registered
'02 Impreza RS
154 Posts
Golden, excellent ride first off. Kudos mate

But interested in how you feel about the Transmission Cocktail Mix Grimmspeed offers. My Bugeyed RS has been notchy & rough creating for a very anti-fun shifting experience ever since I got her at 65k from first owner. I'm assuming it was his fault and that he didn't know wtf he was doing when shifting but my mechanic actually said the tranny's in the '02 are just like that. We used Lucas Gear Oil in my last fluid change of the diff's & tranny. It's not bad. But still not right. Get wedged between 1st to 2nd and after several attempts at popping hte clutch in and out, finally slide into second. Usually when it's cold.

Any feedback you know of to help REALLY make an impact on this notchy shifting? Was also thinking the smoother STi 5-speed manual short throw with linkage would also help it out?

·
Registered
05 STi WannaBE
6,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #159 (Edited)
Golden, excellent ride first off. Kudos mate

But interested in how you feel about the Transmission Cocktail Mix Grimmspeed offers. My Bugeyed RS has been notchy & rough creating for a very anti-fun shifting experience ever since I got her at 65k from first owner. I'm assuming it was his fault and that he didn't know wtf he was doing when shifting but my mechanic actually said the tranny's in the '02 are just like that. We used Lucas Gear Oil in my last fluid change of the diff's & tranny. It's not bad. But still not right. Get wedged between 1st to 2nd and after several attempts at popping hte clutch in and out, finally slide into second. Usually when it's cold.

Any feedback you know of to help REALLY make an impact on this notchy shifting? Was also thinking the smoother STi 5-speed manual short throw with linkage would also help it out?
Thanks!
Do you have a short shifter installed? If so, that might cause your knotchyness feeling when shifting. You might also want to check your clutch wear level or even bleed your clutch line.

Ive only used Lucas oil as an additive to my engine oil and I must say that its not a bad product. The Grimmspeed transmission cocktail is not for everyone. The first thing I noticed when I changed my transmission gear oil is that I could hear the gears more while driving. Sometimes it sounds like I have a dogbox from the inside of my car. I did notice that it shifts a little smoother as opposed to your standard gear oil. I live in a warm climate for 10 months out of the year, so that might change if you live up north. This cocktail mix may or may not fix your current tranny problems. My 5-Speed didnt have any issues when I first bought her so that why I said that. I hope that helps.

·
Registered
05 STi WannaBE
6,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #160 (Edited)
Probably in the next 2-3 weeks I will be ready to install some more exhaust goodies.

I currently have:

Borla-Reps (heat coated the pipe and wrapped and then coated the wrap)
Rallitek HFC Pipe
Stromung dual tip axle back with custom straight center pipe

As of right now my exhaust is super raspy when the system is cool but then tapers down to a very good low rumble. Its still has a hint of raspiness during WOT that I want to get rid of it. So heres the plan to install:

Moroso Spiral Flow racing muffler/resonator
Summit Racing Exhaust Cutout for drag day use
Quick Time Performance Electric Exhaust Cutout
Walker Exhaust Flange to have the catback removable

I really trust the Moroso Spiral Flow because I’ve had one installed on my 1989 Isuzu Impulse and it never failed me. The benefits of having this one is that it’s a free flowing baffled design with no fiber glass packing. It’s got a straight through center pipe that is surrounded by a spiral system. It’s also super light and it comes high heat painted. It will lower the db levels and get rid of the rasp but also not hinder the exhaust flow.

As I don’t have the actual electronic cutout yet I decided to make a template to mount on the cutout for my welder to figure out the correct clearance and positioning.

After all this is said and done I will coat the entire exhaust system with black high heat paint and then wrap the HFC pipe. It should be a fun project.

141 - 160 of 3756 Posts