Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

41 - 60 of 3756 Posts

·
Registered
05 STi WannaBE
6,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #41 (Edited)
thanks for the seafoaming help. I'm gonna do this and I'm glad you did because you have a 05' so you become my resource! LOL

After the smoke is gone, did you change your oil or call it good? have you noticed any difference? I need to change my oil soon, so I'm gonna do that but I need to know if I should seafoam before or after I change my oil. :)

Also with your CAI.. did you notice any difference? I'm kind of curious about getting one, but I don't really know if its worth it.
I did the Seafoam yesterday afternoon and just drove around untill the smoke cleared. Then this morning drove the car on the freeway and had the A/C on and it seemed to have a more smooth passing ability as before. Usually with the A/C on the car seems to struggle.

I didnt put any Seafoam in the engine oil at all. When you put the foam in through the intake manifold (as I did), it just loosens up all the oil and carbon build up to be blown out when you drive after the 5-10 minute wait. You can put the seafoam in the engine for a cleaning, but your gonna want to change the oil afterwards. Remember to have the engine at operating temps before you do the seafoam so everything is nice and warm and loose for the seafoam to penetrate into.

As for the Injen CAI setup Im running: On our models with the MAF sensor being really picky and stubbourn, your gonna want to make either a hybrid setup or get the Cobb Accessport to combate the intake resonator issues (Helmholtz resonator). Heres a link that might help you more than I can: A Problem with CAI/SRIs and an Alternative (yes, finally)

P.S. Read the entire thread, theres some good information there.

·
Registered
05 STi WannaBE
6,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Just installed the RED HAZARD SWITCH. I think it brings more POP to the otherwise bland interior.

Before

After

·
Registered
05 STi WannaBE
6,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
how tough was the hazard light switch?
Easy, Just remove the center console covers and unscrew three small phillips head screws and the vent peice comes out. Then just unhook the hazard switch plug and detach the switch from the face. Pop the new one in and presto, your in.

·
Registered
05 STi WannaBE
6,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #47 (Edited)
Got this used Supers track pipe yesterday in the mail from JavaSubie which is a very nice guy and trustworthy.

I knew I was gonna want to get all the rust off so heres my process. Sand as much of the dirt and rust off as possible. For tight turns use a drill sanding bit. I also hand sanded alot of parts that I could not get to with either tool. I used 40, 80 grit, and soft scrub papers with a orbital sander.

I then washed it off with Power Purple engine degreaser (full strength) and this is how it turned out after about 45min of work.

I then used this high heat rust stopper protectant to make sure no more rust was gonna happen. This one can be bought from Lowes or Home Depot. I bought the paint on version because it wont blow all over the place like a spray will. Apply this in thick coats.

Let it hang and dry for a day and then put another coat on to make sure you covered everything. Im probably gonna use DEI header wrap and then coat it one more time with the paint. I think the wrap will quiet down the inside cabin drone some people have mentioned.

·
Registered
05 STi WannaBE
6,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #50 (Edited)
I see how it is! you tell me no, not to do it... then you steal my idea and do it! meanie!
Schools out and we need to finish your car. Let me know when your not bussy doing anything.

In the end I might just add this hi-flow cat >> MagnaFlow Universal Spun Catalytic Converters. I had one of those on my 89 Isuzu Impulse and it did its job well and still let the exhaust breath.

·
Registered
05 STi WannaBE
6,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #53 (Edited)
^^ Thanks JWalker, I love your videos.

Heres something else I picked up from E bay very cheap. Its a mint condition WRX scoop and splitter (and it matches my hood). Im thinking of running an oil cooler up to that scoop but Im kinda digging my scoopless hood. Let me know what you guys think.

I also got this from an STi guy that didnt need it. Im gonna create a custom intake setup and put back together the Injen intake.

·
aka RoxyTheImpreza
SGM 2006 Impreza 2.5i
459 Posts
Schools out and we need to finish your car. Let me know when your not bussy doing anything.

In the end I might just add this hi-flow cat >> MagnaFlow Universal Spun Catalytic Converters. I had one of those on my 89 Isuzu Impulse and it did its job well and still let the exhaust breath.
yea definitely, so happy school is done... even more happy that I am leaving tomorrow to go on a 5 day cruise :D I'll figure out a time probably the end of May or the beginning of June (sot sure when summer classes start -I'm not taking summer classes). I need to order the thick gaskets from grimmspeed and header wrap to make it worth while.... also want to check my brake pads...maybe ... also (lol so many also's) I am interested in this sea foam thing.

·
Registered
05 STi WannaBE
6,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #56 (Edited)
During the week I put a total of 4 coats of the paint on and it turned out very nice

I then jacked the car up and took a look at how everything fits on. I then decided that I was going to utilize the transmission exhaust hanger to help hold up the track pipe. The reason is because the next hanger doesnt come in until further back and I dont want anything swaying my headers around.

Im also going to buy this: Subaru O2 Extension Harness because the rear sensor is moved back about 18-20 inches from the stock location. With weather was pretty shitty as well: 88F with 100% Humidity I decided to call it a day.

·
Registered
05 STi WannaBE
6,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #57 (Edited)
OK, so first is first. I’ve been up since 5am working on my car. I got the track pipe on and made myself an O2 extension for the rear plug. Then the moment of truth came when I started the engine up. Well! In my opinion, it’s too loud. When at idle it sounds very nice but once you mash the throttle it gets raspy. I think this has alot to do with my cat back having no resonators. The fit was spot on but due to previous exhaust work, my cat back pipe is hitting underneath somewhere. I’m going to be putting the stock cats back on due to the track pipe begin too loud.

Below are some pictures and videos of me running the track pipe.

41 - 60 of 3756 Posts