2005 Legacy GT, 1977 Jeep CJ7
1,222 Posts
I see your "very bumpy" Texas roads and raise you Pennsylvania roads

Seriously tho that looks sweet and might get one for my 04 RS for autox

·
Registered
2001 2.5RS SRP Coupe
253 Posts
+1 for a great car, journal and killer write-ups. that camera is pretty slick. your suspension set up is ideal. and i guess i'll add myself to the list of people anxiously awaiting the steering rack bushing install/write up.

·
Registered
05 STi WannaBE
6,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #265
I see your "very bumpy" Texas roads and raise you Pennsylvania roads

Seriously tho that looks sweet and might get one for my 04 RS for autox
:mamoru: OK, you've got me beat in the "trenches" in the road department. I would hate to get my wheel stuck in one of those.

+1 for a great car, journal and killer write-ups. that camera is pretty slick. your suspension set up is ideal. and i guess i'll add myself to the list of people anxiously awaiting the steering rack bushing install/write up.
Yeah, as soon as the weather gets warmer the steering rack bushings will be the first to go on. Im getting tired of the horrible steering memory Ive got and I hope that the bushings will noticably tighten things up a bit.

This is HOT! Thanks for sharing. I'm so doing this. It's all with that kodack camera? Wow!
The Kodak Zi8 is a pretty bad ass little video camera. Its got the video editing software preloaded onto the unit so all you have to do is hook it up via the built in USB connector. I also like it because its got an external MIC hookup. Once Im done editing the videos the program automatically loads them to whatever website I choose (youtube for me).

·
Premium Member
2015 WRX STI WRB
8,381 Posts
OK, so alot of people know about how troublesome the Borla-Reps header may be with installing or removing your oil filter. Well, Ive done this mod along time ago and Ive never really did a correct DIY write-up for it. Sadly enough I didnt take pictures of the install but below are some afterwards that might help explain how it looks. I only did this modification after I wrapped my header. I didnt have a problem getting the OEM size filter on or off before that.

Parts you’re going to need:

Perma-Cool Oil Filter Relocation Kit or equivalent

K&N Performance Gold Oil Filter (K&N HP-3001)

A couple of feet of adequate oil/fuel grade hose (3/8") note: the filter relocation kit comes with some hose already but I chose to use a better premium type that has an extra protective outside layer. This hose doesn’t kink up when running bends while the one from the kit does.

Perma-Cool Hose Barb Fittings (90 degree bend)

Reel of heat tape, Teflon tape, 4 wide 3/8" hose clamps, zip ties

Heres what the kit should look like

This is the filter sandwich adapter with the two fitting attached. You want to attach the fittings first and then rotate the whole unit to the filter housing on the motor.

Then run your lines and make sure they go to the correct IN/OUT ports.

I also custom made a bracket out of 16ga steel to hold the filter relocator. I first made a template using thick cardboard to fine tune the fitment before I cut into the metal sheet. I then coated it with high heat wrinkle paint.

Here is a comparison on the two filters. Left is the Fram Subaru filter and on the right is the K&N Mustang filter. You’re going to be adding extra oil to your system and always make sure you fill your filter up before installing it onto your system.

Here is what it looks like when you install a sending unit plate.

I will add more to this as soon as I see something is missing but you get the idea.
i'm gonna do this. this is awesome.

·
Premium Member
2005 Legacy GT, 1977 Jeep CJ7
1,222 Posts
Picking my 04 RS up soon. Has a full AEM Intake into the fender. Thinking about sourcing a torque box. What did the butt dyno feel between the two

·
Registered
05 STi WannaBE
6,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #268
Picking my 04 RS up soon. Has a full AEM Intake into the fender. Thinking about sourcing a torque box. What did the butt dyno feel between the two
Theres so much thats interchangable between the 04-05 RS model years WRX and STi of the same years (mainly suspension). Just remember that the 04RS is MAP and the 05RS uses MAF and Cobb doesnt make an AP for that year either which sucks big time on their part.

The torquebox on the butt dyno seems to have more get up and go in stop and go traffic but once I installed the Injen intake and I utilized the rallitek tune with the AccessPort I really cant feel the difference. The Injen intake and the tune really shine when full throttle on the hwy because it has a direct shot into the intake manifold Vs. the torque box with its turbulance at high rpms. The next step for me would be to get some CAMS and help the engine breath better.

·
Registered
05 STi WannaBE
6,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #269
God I love Progressive Insurance!

Just recieved this email today about my full coverage insurance dropping, :projectsti.com:. It went from $89.94 down to this:

:naughty:

·
Registered
05 STi WannaBE
6,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #271 (Edited)
Installed the oem intake back on minus the snorkus plus the MoTo GP elbow and WRX intake section.

Here is what the previous intake looks like:

Im just going to do some data logs and butt dyno tests to see which one I prefer.

·
Registered
05 STi WannaBE
6,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #274
Really interested to see what happens here. All the testimony out there says there's slim to no difference and therefore no reason to delete the torquebox!
You know what! I cant stand the torque box OEM setup. I basically had the OEM intake on the car for about 2 days and I couldnt stand the shitty higher rpm power. With the Injen intake/K&N Apollo filter plus the throttle body spacer Im using and the Rallitek AP tune, the engine seems to run stronger EVEN in lower rpm. The torque box just doesnt provide a nice and smooth passage to the intake manifold and at higher rpms that air box makes the engine suffer. I think that the T-box was only put there by Subaru to keep the intake noises down. The Injen intake as a short ram setup is super loud but if you use it as the full CAI the noise levels go down a bunch. After I installed the K&N filter the intake noises just disappeared altogether and actually made the engine sound alot more agressive.

PS - that's 2'' DEI wrap you used on your HFC correct? How's the wrap holding up as of now?
Yes its the 2" DEI wrap. I just changed my oil today and had a look to see how its holding up and it looks better than ever. Remember to take your time and wrap it very tight so that it doesnt become loose over time.

·
Registered
05 STi WannaBE
6,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #275
Today I did the oil change and I switched from Mobil 1 to the Castrol Full Synthetic. Ive been using Mobil 1 since day one and for some reason Ive had to refill the oil on a regular bases. I hope the Castrol will work a little better since alot of people have recommended it to me.

·
Registered
'02 Impreza RS
154 Posts
You know what! I cant stand the torque box OEM setup. I basically had the OEM intake on the car for about 2 days and I couldnt stand the shitty higher rpm power. With the Injen intake/K&N Apollo filter plus the throttle body spacer Im using and the Rallitek AP tune, the engine seems to run stronger EVEN in lower rpm. The torque box just doesnt provide a nice and smooth passage to the intake manifold and at higher rpms that air box makes the engine suffer. I think that the T-box was only put there by Subaru to keep the intake noises down. The Injen intake as a short ram setup is super loud but if you use it as the full CAI the noise levels go down a bunch. After I installed the K&N filter the intake noises just disappeared altogether and actually made the engine sound alot more agressive.

Hmm... interesting. Plan on doing any datalogging? I'd like to see the figs

·
Registered
05 STi WannaBE
6,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #277
Hmm... interesting. Plan on doing any datalogging? I'd like to see the figs
I only live about 5minutes from work so I will do some datalogging as soon as I plan to go somewhere far. ;) Hell, my engine doesnt even warm up all the way by the time I get to work.

·
Registered
'02 Impreza RS
154 Posts
I only live about 5minutes from work so I will do some datalogging as soon as I plan to go somewhere far. ;) Hell, my engine doesnt even warm up all the way by the time I get to work.
Good stuff man. Another thing I just noticed as I went to place an order... did you use the 50' wrap length or the 25'?

·
Registered
05 STi WannaBE
6,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #279 (Edited)
Good stuff man. Another thing I just noticed as I went to place an order... did you use the 50' wrap length or the 25'?
50' is the size I used and it was just enough to do the entire header. Good stuff right there :burnout:

·
Registered
05 STi WannaBE
6,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #280
70 Degree weather baby! So I cleaned her up a bit, inside and out plus the engine. Did some clay bar on the back bumper as well.

261 - 280 of 3756 Posts