Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
12,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
This thread is for all those people out there looking to buy new tires and don't know which ones to choose. With hundreds of options to choose from, it can be confusing.

Please post up tires that you have purchased and what you thought of them. Please include the following information:

Name of tire
Type of tire
Tread life expectancy
Noise level
Level of performance (grip, responsiveness)
Likelihood of purchasing again
Cost
Other pertinent information

I'll start.

Fuzion HRi
High performance all season
225/45/17
Decent life, 40k?
I hated these tires. I bought my 5x100 STi BBSs and these tires came on them. They were terrible in the rain, they were "eh" on dry pavement and utter crap in the snow. They were very hard, the ride was harsh and they were noisy. The only positive thing I could say is that the tread life was decent (what you DON'T want on a tire you hate) and they were responsive to steering input. However, I would not recommend any Fusion tires to anyone.

Dunlop Graspic DS-3
Snow
225/45/17
Decent life, one season so far and no drastic signs of wear
Meh. I spent $400 for all 4. The first thing I noticed was that they have a very squishy feel to them. I feel disconnected from the road and they're slow to respond to steering demands. They do alright in the wet weather, I'm fairly comfortable with them although I did find myself starting to hydroplane on the highway a couple of times. In the snow, they do their job. They got me through some pretty deep snow this winter. I was confident behind the wheel, even in the white-out blizzards we had this year. They are definitely not Blizzaks, but they are certainly better than an all season tire in the snow. I would probably not buy them again, I think I'd rather spend a few extra bucks and go for the blizzaks.

Blizzak WS50
Snow
205/55/16
Decent life, one season and no drastic signs of wear
I had these on some steelies a couple of years back, I bought them used but almost new. I think I spent $400 for everything, and it was well worth it. They were Godlike in the snow. I had complete control no matter how much or how deep the snow was. I remember feeling very confident driving around town or even on the highway with these. They were noisy, but not unusually so. They were less responsive, but nothing out of the ordinary for a snow tire. All in all, they were a great buy and I would recommend these or the WS60 / 70 to anyone.

·
Registered
'04 PSM WRX Premium
8,339 Posts
Note: I live in Pittsburgh. Our roads suck. Our tires last about half as long as most people's will.

Name of tire: Kuhmo Ecsta ASX
Type of tire: All season
Tread life expectancy: I got about 10K out of these, half city, half highway. One day of autocrossing. They're nearly toast. And yes.. they have a tread rating of 400. Our roads will eat your tires.
Noise level: Not real problems. My exhaust powers over it.
Level of performance (grip, responsiveness): Good for dry and rain daily driving. I drove one season in snow on them and they're typical all season tires. I felt they were pretty good for spirited driving too, but I don't exactly have a high performance car.
Likelihood of purchasing again: They're cheap. I'm going to go with summer tires next time, so I won't be buying all seasons again. If you want cheap all seasons, I'd say they're alright.
Cost: $300 total with RS six spokes, 3K on the tires. They were from a local friend, hence the price (Thanks Josh!). They normally go for about $75.
Other pertinent information: I run these at 50PSI. Yes, 50. The sidewalls are apparently very soft. This helps the outsides no wear out as quickly. I do this with all my tires.

Name of tire: Firestone Winterforce
Type of tire: Winter (M&S)
Tread life expectancy: I've put about 3-4K on them. No real signs of wear really. I bought them used with an unknown amount of miles on them. I'd expect to get about 3-4 seasons out of them (20k ish miles in total, highway mostly).
Noise level: Not real problems. My exhaust powers over it.
Level of performance (grip, responsiveness): Great in the winter on snow! Great in slush! I've never had a real snow tire, but these are amazing. The rear will come out in pushed to the limit in damp conditions though.
Likelihood of purchasing again: Honestly, for the price, I really would. Great for winter. Buy these!
Cost: $450 total with WRX wheels. So I'd say I paid about $250 for the tires, used of course. They were almost brand new. I think they go for around $70 on TireRack.
Other pertinent information: I run these at 44PSI (max). Again, I do this will all my tires as the outsides wear out quickly with stock alignment specs.

Hope this helps you guys! :clap:

·
Registered
99WhiteMock22B/10TeslaRoadster
6,661 Posts
I do enjoy that 3 out of the 5 posts in this thread are Matt...but I do enjoy that 2 of the posts are of himself commenting on himself. Flattery usually gets you no where, but your flattery might get yourself laid! :lol:

·
Premium Member
02 WRB WRX Wagon, '00 STM RS
1,569 Posts
Tire: Bridgestone Potenza S-03 Pole Position (215/45/17)
Type: High Performance Summer
Tread life expectancy: No clue, used it for about 15k miles so far
Noise level: moderate
Level of performance (grip, responsiveness): High grip, specially on the rain
Likelihood of purchasing again: for the price, i doubt it, but if i had the money/deal i'll jump on another set
Cost: ~220 each..

This was my summer tires, had them on my RS and WRXwag and they performed very well, I specially love them on rainy days as I've never even got any hydroplaning or skips over large puddles of water. They also saved my life (and the car) from serious damage from a collision, as i was able to pull a ridiculous swerve and back on the road without skidding and never lost control of the car at 45-50mph while it was pouring rain. With the setup on i feel that the car is just planted on the ground. Summer time and dry it performs fantastic, tight turns and all the high speed crap i do on the way to work, it enables me to do so. NEVER USE THIS ON THE WINTER TIME (or any summer tires for that matter) Otherwise if you have the $$$ i say get a set or two.

Tire: Firestone Firehawk GT (205/55/16)
Type: High Performance All Season
Tread life expectancy: Total of about 20K miles on the RS and it's still meaty.
Noise level: N/A, can't hear anything besides my exhaust and stereo
Level of performance (grip, responsiveness): good grip overall, not bad for winter
Likelihood of purchasing again: very likely, maybe for my next set.
Cost: ~100 each..

I used these tire extensively on the RS, it performs great even for all seasons. Cornering and accelerating with them is great, but not so great on deceleration. They tend to get loose when stomping on the brakes from speed limit, (which i do a lot so i notice it often) unlike the potenza's S-03 which stays on the ground like it was velcro'd. This is great for casual driving and some spirited one, but not for tail gating or auto-x. I'd recommend it but will not push it as amazing tires.

Tire: Bridgestone Potenza RE-92(225/45/17)
Type: High Performance All Season
Tread life expectancy: Maybe 25K?
Noise level: Loud tires.
Level of performance (grip, responsiveness): Mediocre, specially for "High Performance All Season"
Likelihood of purchasing again: very UNlikely, I hate em.
Cost: ~230 each..

Got these with BBS that i purchased and i certainly hate them. with passion. They skid, loose control easily, skip so much on rain covered road, you name it. I didn't expect it to pass subaru standards for tires but it is oem for STI's but i highly recommend to replace them. they're good for granny driving and cruising with train tracks beneath you otherwise stay away.

·
Registered
2013 FR-S
2,116 Posts
Falken FK452
Type: Ultra High Performance Summer
Tread Life Expectancy: Don't expect much more than 25k or so with normal driving.
Noise Level: medium-loud.
Level of Performance (Grip, Responsiveness): Great grip, in 225/50-16 they feel a bit sluggish at turn in. Ultimate grip was more than enough for anything I could dish out.
Likelihood of Purchasing Again: Would purchase again if the right deal came up.
Cost: I got my last set for $470 out the door.

As a budget performance tire, I really like these. They have a ton of grip, last decently, and handle well at the limit. Good performance in the wet, didn't bother ever trying them in the snow because I'm not retarded. I got mine to 15k and nuked them with a bad alignment and an emergency stop that flat spotted two of them extremely badly. They would have made another 5-10k easily. Didn't buy them again mostly because I wanted to try something different. They are relatively loud, and are not the most refined tire over bumps but those are forgivable faults for a tire with it's grip and handling characteristics and price.

Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sport
Type: Ultra High Performance Summer
Tread Life Expectancy: So far they seem to be wearing better than the Falkens. Hoping to get 25k even with my driving. UPDATE: Pushing 30k but just got a screw in the sidewall. Damn. Better than the Falkens for sure.
Noise Level: For performance tires, quiet.
Level of Performance (Grip, Responsiveness): Similar all out grip to the Falkens, better responsiveness and road manners. Turn in is great for a 225/50-16 tire on WRX rims, surprisingly so.
Likelihood of Purchasing Again: Would purchase again.
Cost: Expect around $600 from brick and mortar at best.

I really like these tires. Road and steering feel is great and they have great all out grip. I have driven them extensively in the wet and they felt very solid. Grip in the dry is excellent and very predictable. They seem to be wearing very evenly and I personally love the asymmetric tread pattern. Being able to rotate a summer tire normally is definitely a plus. For a summer performance tire, I can't believe how quiet these tires are compared to the Falkens and to the Federals my brother has on his WRX, it's night and day. I would definitely buy these again. For a daily driven summer tire, I haven't found much better. I like the looks of the tread and sidewall on these as well, it's clean and understated. Definitely a good bet.

Nathan

·
Registered
1999 10th AE MX-5/ Scion Xb
1,063 Posts
Name of tire: Kuhmo Ecsta XS
Type of tire: Extreme Performance Summer
Tread life expectancy: See tire rack
Level of performance (grip, responsiveness): Super good grip in the dry(so far the best gripping tire i owned) but not good in the rain. Responsiveness is about average.
Likelihood of purchasing again: Grip in the wet is important to me so no.
Cost: $97 a tire for 215/45 16 +$50-$60 for shipping
Other pertinent information: I had the on my old Nissan Pulsar GTI-R which I took out sprinting on the japanese mountain passes. Normal dry days they were amazing. I cured the front heavy AWD understeer problem with these tires. But as seen above, the tires weakness is its wet grip and on the mountains in Japan, rain fall could happend out of nowere. The wet grip kinda dropped to a level as if you were driving regular tires..

Name of tire: Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec
Type of tire: Extreme Performance Summer
Tread life expectancy: See tire rack
Level of performance (grip, responsiveness): Very good grip in both the dry and the wet. Very good responce and steering input.
Likelihood of purchasing again: I love there tires....so yes
Cost: $119 for 205/50R16 + $50-$60 for shipping.
Other pertinent information: I am currently using these tires on my 98 GC8 STI type R. These tires were the first upgrade I did on my car and by far the best too. They transform my car from fun to drive to extreme fun to drive through the japanese mountain roads. The grip in close behind the XS. But to me it is a better tire because it is more well rounded(steering and wet grip) that the XS.

·
Registered
12,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
^ It'll be my first stickied thread!

Don't be afraid to write a review for a tire that was already mentioned!

·
Hoopty King
2000 BRP 2.5RS/1994 Legacy SS
876 Posts
I went to post a few reviews the other day, then I accidentally went back and lost my post. :unamused:

I'm a bit of a self-pronounced tire geek, and I have a wide variety to review, so I'll probably break it up into a few different posts. I'll be going through them in the order that I've used them.

Name of tire - Federal Super Steel 595 (SS595)
Type of tire - UHP Summer
Tread life expectancy - I used 1 set across two cars, I can't remember how many miles I had on them precisely, probably 20 - 25k. I sold the wheels they were on to a friend with some tread left still. I'd say they were good for 30k under moderate to aggressive use.
Noise level - I don't usually make note of road noise. I'd say the noise was about average for a summer tire.
Level of performance (grip, responsiveness) - For the price, these tires were great. They aren't the best performance tires around, but they're consistent, and capable. I never managed to break them loose on dry or wet roads, nor autocross events.
Likelihood of purchasing again - Very high. Actually thinking of getting a set for my Legacy.
Cost - Sizing for RS wheels is right around $65/70 a tire.

Name of tire - Firestone Winterforce
Type of tire - Winter/Snow tire.
Tread life expectancy - If you limit their use to the colder winter months you can get a good amount of use out of them. I had a set (used) which came with my RS, and they're still in use on my sister's car after four winters of use in my family's possession.
Noise level - Like most snow tires, they are loud.
Level of performance (grip, responsiveness) - On dry or wet roads? Horrendous. It's the price paid for winter weather performance.
In snow? Fantastic. These are the best winter tires I've driven or ridden on in regards to snow, light or deep.
On Ice? The Altimax Arctics I'm using now feel a bit more planted on ice, but the Winterforces weren't dangerous or terrible by any means. I don't have studs in either tire, which would probably help their ice traction.
Likelihood of purchasing again - Fairly high, but in the meantime I'm enjoy trying out the other options available.
Cost - Around $80/tire for RS sizing.

Name of tire - Nexen N3000
Type of tire - "Performance" Summer
Tread life expectancy - No idea, given the lack of traction, probably quite high.
Noise level - I'd say right around average.
Level of performance (grip, responsiveness) - These were the widest tires I've used, in 225/45/17 on a set 17x7 wheels. Despite this, where other tires I've used would take a given corner at a given speed with no drama, these would squeal away under the same conditions. The response was mediocre as well, but that could also be due to the slight bubbling effect of the 225s on a 7-inch wheel.
Likelihood of purchasing again - Yeah, no. There are better options for equal or lesser money.
Cost - These came on a used set of wheels I purchased, a quick Google search shows right around $85/tire in RS sizes.

More to come.

·
EZ GF w/Curves!
97'OBS/94'SVX LSi/00'OBS/01&#8
8,801 Posts
Mr.Bean has my trusted opinion when it comes to tires. Many other things I'll debate preferences but he knows his tires! FO SHO!

·
Hoopty King
2000 BRP 2.5RS/1994 Legacy SS
876 Posts
Why thank you, Gaddis.

Name of tire - General Exclaim UHP
Type of tire - Ultra High Performance Summer
Tread life expectancy - Probably somewhere between 20k and 30k miles/set. I traded the wheels they were on from my Impreza with some good life left, and my Legacy's bad alignment ruined a set that I ran on that car.
Noise level - As I said in my earlier post, I'm poor at gauging noise, because I don't usually care about it. I'd place these at average.
Level of performance (grip, responsiveness) - Good, but not amazing. On a tight autocross course, they were quite squishy on my Impreza, and I had a fair bit of understeer (also likely caused by the technical course, and my driving,) and they didn't transmit much in the way of feel or feedback. On the road in average driving they're good.
Wet weather traction is quite good. I did manage to break them loose and pull off a nice slide in my Legacy on some wet roads once on these tires. It required some good speed and impressive footwork, however. The fact I was running some quite undersized tires for the car (195/55/15) probably played a role as well. Generally speaking, however, they're very competent in wet weather.
Likelihood of purchasing again - Fairly high. I did use two separate sets on my cars after all.
Cost - Since I was looking it up for someone else, I can say that they're currently $87/tire in 225/50/16, but they are on sale right now.

Name of tire - Dunlop Z1 Star Spec
Type of tire - Extreme Performance Summer
Tread life expectancy - I haven't used these enough to say from experience, but I've read people getting 15-20k out of them over a variety of conditions. The performance is well worth that life.
Noise level - A little higher than average, especially given that they will pick up dust and small gravel especially if it's warm out.
Level of performance (grip, responsiveness) - Fantastic. They stick well, and are very easy to read. The response and sidewall feel is great, and made a noticeable difference on the feel and weight of the wheel even before I did my suspension upgrades.
In wet weather, they are pretty good as well. Haven't had any drama in rain or the like.
Likelihood of purchasing again - Very high.
Cost - 225/50/16 is $129/tire at the moment (Tirerack pricing. Again, have the tab open looking for someone else -- very convenient.)

·
Registered
2001 Impreza L
731 Posts
Name of tire: Goodyear Eagle GT
Type of tire: Ultra-High Performance All-Season
Tread life expectancy: 50,000 miles as advertised. However, even after 10,000 miles, they're wearing prematurely. Normal driving with a little bit of spirited driving around turns.
Noise level: Moderate-High. Windows up, radio off, tire noise is definitely noticeable.
Level of performance (grip, responsiveness): Veeeeery grippy for all-seasons. Tons of grip on dry pavement. Good traction on wet roads. Like all tires, hydroplanes at highway speeds. However, still relatively stable around 70mph in pouring rain. Good response throughout.
Likelihood of purchasing again: I got these tires with a discount (around $85/tire), but I would probably try others such as Star Specs, etc.
Cost: Around $90/tire for 205/55/16

I've had these tires for around 10,000 miles, and they've been great so far. At first, they squeal a lot, even through non-aggressive turns.

One thing I dislike about these is that they seem to tramline on the freeway. I have my alignment at stock specs with stock suspension, but still.

·
Registered
12,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just got my Dunlop Star Spec Z1s on. HOLY. SHIT! These tires are really sticky. Probably the stickiest tires I've ever driven on. Very responsive, very good handling, I feel so much more connected to the road. They even have good grip in the rain. I'm very happy with my purchase.

·
Premium Member
'97 Impreza L
2,531 Posts
I'm still a fan of the Yokohama S-drives I use on my summer tires. Grip well and, without driving like an idiot, don't feel like I'm losing control at any point.

·
Registered
2012 Audi S4
1,954 Posts
Name of tire - Toyo Proxes T1R
Type of tire - Ultra High Performance Summer
Tread life expectancy - Probably somewhere between 30K and 40K kms/set. Currently there are 30,000kms+ on them, which include 2 track days and 2 autoX events.
Noise level - Nothing out of the ordinary.
Level of performance (grip, responsiveness) - Amazing at the start, pulled some pretty impossible corners during the first 50% of the tread. Wet weather the tire is simply amazing, there is no such thing as hydroplaning with these tires and a subaru, its just not gonna happen. even at the wear bars the tire handle quite well
Likelihood of purchasing again - Good chance yes, however tires like the StarSpecs are very tempting
Cost - payed 240/tire, 4 years ago.

·
Registered
2001 obp RS
492 Posts
Bumping this up. Need to replace my uniroyals this season before the winter hits and looking for a replacement all season set with light snow traction.

·
Safety fast!
2003 2.5TS
142 Posts
I agree with everything Supers said about the Fuzion HRi, those tires are junk. I replaced mine with Bridgestone RE760 sports. SubieNate already did a good review of those, which are excellent tires. The only other tires I have used were Falken Rt-215s which were great in dry weather but pretty much useless when wet. No point in reviewing them as they have been discontinued for years.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts