Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
2001, Subaru, Impreza 2.5 RS,
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '01 RS and in about a year I am going to get some kind of forced induction. I do not drive my car very hard, usually around 2.5-4 RPM, I do not do a whole lot of racing. I do want to destroy anyone with a WRX (POS). Now time for the ultimate question: Turbo or Supercharger? Which is less expensive (I am not on a tight buget, but nice to know)? Which one last longer? Which is less damaging to my car? And which one do I have to do the fewest mods to make it work? Your input will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Brett.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
First, I would drive the car harder. Shifting at 4000 rpm in an NA, SC, or Turbo'd car won't get you anywhere :)

Second, when do you want to do this? If you want to do it now, you're only option is a Turbo. Ifyou want to wait a few months then you might have more options.

Third, if you just want to be in the area of stock WRX, you could also do an NA buildup. Cobb's Stage3 should get you there for roughly the same price and no having to worry about some of the boosting headaches.

Fourth, drive your car harder :D

·
Registered
2000 Blue Ridge Pearl Subaru I
294 Posts
You forgot to mention......Drive the car harder!
j/k :D

·
Registered
21 Posts
Shifting at 4k, a minivan will probably beat you in the 1/4.
Peak power stock isnt until 5200 rpm. And near redline is your shift point in every gear.

·
13 Years of RS
2005 Toyota Corolla :(
5,532 Posts
I'm suprised noone else has mentioned this yet: drive your car harder:p Actually, it sounds like we drive our cars a lot alike, and are looking for the same thing. I do run to redline when I really want to move, but for normal driving, I'm usually around 3k RPM. I would love to SC my car, since you get boost right away, ad it's a little easier to install. But since there aren't currently any SC kits for the RS (at least until Templar finishes his), turbo is about the ony way to go right now. I'm building a turbo setup for my 00 RS using a stock WRX turbo, Saab intercooler, subachads up and down pipes, and all the other stuff I'll need to finish it off. I don't think one does more damage to an engine than the other, since the engine sees boost, not where it comes from. Just make sure you can get enough fuel to the cylinder and I guess an aftermarket knock sensor is a good idea, too, and a light-pressure turbo (5-PSI) will have you runing with WRX's.

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah when i want to race or go fast i will drive my car harder, but when i am just around town or going to work or school, i just easy. I drive 100+ miles a day when school is in and so that is why i drive my car easy. I do not plan to do any mods until next summer at the SOONEST, so if the supercharger kit is not ready now thats fine. What will last longer the SC or turbo?

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Theoretically, both should last just as well. It's more important to worry about engine management, fuel, and the amount of boost your engine is dealing with.

I like the SC better since it's a little simpler and seemingly a little harder to screw up the boost levels but we'll see once some good SC kits come out and people start using them.

Turbos definately seem to have more advantages as far as tuning options go and there's tons of turbo kits out there already.

·
It's not a GC
07 WRX Wag0nz
9,387 Posts
but still the age ol question stands is turbo reliable???

Oh yeah drive your car harder!!!

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Turbos are as reliable as someone's will power :)

Put a nice little 4psi turbo kit without skimping money on import not-so-fun but necessary parts like a good ic and good fuel/engine management and not dumping your clutch you should be alright.

But how much fun is that? ;)

·
It's not a GC
07 WRX Wag0nz
9,387 Posts
Well I was thinking somewhere along 6 or 7 PSI...or I might be pushing it?

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I've heard 8psi is when you need to start worrying about internals.

If you don't want to worry about anything other than kit type stuff I'd do around 4-5 and maybe pushing 6 but that's getting close. Of course, knowing how you drive, you could probably run 6 alright ;)

Btw... I thought you were gonna go NA beast? Just get some cams and head work done and you should be at WRX class power.

·
It's not a GC
07 WRX Wag0nz
9,387 Posts
I haven't decided yet! I'd love to have that Pull that the turbo has...but then again the Cams and the reworked heads are good too...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Just to clarify...

i have a 2002... so I should be taking it to just before redline before shifting????

I only do that coming out of the tollbooths :) but always wondered if that was bad for the car...

Maybe I just dont know enough about driving a stick... but I normally don't go that high in 1st gear... I only take it to 4 grand..

someone give me some pointers about "driving hard" in regards to rpms and such..

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well i know that I can get either a turbo or a SC, but now the question is will it pass SMOG in Cali? That is a major issue esp. in Cali. So has anyone with either a SC or turbo 2.5 passed SMOG in Cali?

·
It's not a GC
07 WRX Wag0nz
9,387 Posts
you should research the turbo kits or the Sc kit that you are intersted on I think most of them are Carb certified....

·
Registered
2001 Magic Mobile
938 Posts
FRAKK's2.5 said:
you should research the turbo kits or the Sc kit that you are intersted on I think most of them are Carb certified....
Really? I thought none of them were carb certified.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts