Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
95 GC 371hp/355tq ej25 1.5xtr
4,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
heres my short story. i wanted to get cams... like 6 months ago, i didnt have the spare cams nor the money. at this time i had my 00 legacy SOHC, i found SOHC cams from a 01 legacy SOHC for 60 bucks, for that cheap i figured why not. so they have big sitting in my room for like 4 months. i wanted more, so i sold the legacy and got a 00 RS. did all the bolt ones i had on my legacy, just swaped everything over pretty much. i said to my self, once i sell my springs from the legacy i would send the cams in. shipping the springs out tomorrow, i got 170 for them. so i have to spend another 30 bucks, big deal right....w/e. but now im like jesus that came fast, its not that im worried, but i need the car to still be reliable. like going back and forth from college.

sorry for the story...lol. but for all of you that has/had cams.

1. do you regret it?
2. any problems with the car after the cam install?
3. will the car still be just as reliable if i do everything right? (like timing belt,valve lash)

i have done all the homework i can (i think) i will do more though, so i know about the misfire CEL's. oh one last thing, should i get any other CEL? like i heard of IAC maybe?

·
Registered
12,196 Posts
i have done all the homework i can (i think) i will do more though, so i know about the misfire CEL's. oh one last thing, should i get any other CEL? like i heard of IAC maybe?[/QUOTE]

1. No.
2. No.
3. Yes.

The only CELs you *might* get are the misfire codes, but that's mostly for the 2000 (spicy) grind. I got them in the beginning but it was mostly do to a failing front o2 sensor. I replaced it and haven't had anything but the normal P0420 because of my exhaust.

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
anyone local near PA? PCT in williamsport. i would feel so much more comfortable with someone else who has done them. i am going to be doing it while in the car. if i take off the rad hoses, how much can i jack the motor up before getting into trouble? i have done like 1/2" above the studs on the motor mounts, then the lower hose starts to drip a little

anyone have any comments that would help me?

·
Registered
12,196 Posts
anyone local near PA? PCT in williamsport. i would feel so much more comfortable with someone else who has done them. i am going to be doing it while in the car. if i take off the rad hoses, how much can i jack the motor up before getting into trouble? i have done like 1/2" above the studs on the motor mounts, then the lower hose starts to drip a little
You're in Danbury, correct? Isn't that where you'll be? I'm in Yorktown, only about 35 minutes from the Danbury Mall. Make sure you get the FSM, you'll need it. Got tools too?

·
Registered
STi swapped SF5, WTF?
2,933 Posts
I wouldn't mind stopping by and lending a hand if I can. I would like to do these on my car so seeing them done first might help a little.

Which cams are you going to get tnice? I am assuming Deltas but which grind?

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I wouldn't mind stopping by and lending a hand if I can. I would like to do these on my car so seeing them done first might help a little.

Which cams are you going to get tnice? I am assuming Deltas but which grind?
yea im going to get the 2000 grind cams from delta.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts