Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
541 - 560 of 563 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.5RS BRP
3,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #542 ·
Honestly I wouldn't expect this to cause any toe issues that couldn't be aligned out with the stock hardware. While I haven't done it myself, many people run GD width lateral links without toe issues.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Honestly I wouldn't expect this to cause any toe issues that couldn't be aligned out with the stock hardware. While I haven't done it myself, many people run GD width lateral links without toe issues.
Ok. I will track down a set of GD trailing arms. Are the GC and GD trailing arms the same size?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Ok apologies for being a newb about this, because transmissions aren't my strongest area of knowledge, but from reading this thread it sounds like option 2 is my best bet?

I basically want to have a 6 speed dccd set up that will fit a non wide body coupe (I don't want to flare fenders or go wide body), and also have the flexibility to use the 4/2 calipers (my car is for spirited driving and daily driving, probably don't need brembos for that).

And it sounds like if I do the ej207 jdm swap, if I have a usdm transmission set up I should still be ok (unless I'm missing something).

So for me, I should start sourcing for option 2? So basically look at junk yards for 04 STIs with healthy undercarriages and raid them for the specific parts listed in this thread?

·
Registered
'99 RBP RSTi Coupe
205 Posts
Ok apologies for being a newb about this, because transmissions aren't my strongest area of knowledge, but from reading this thread it sounds like option 2 is my best bet?

I basically want to have a 6 speed dccd set up that will fit a non wide body coupe (I don't want to flare fenders or go wide body), and also have the flexibility to use the 4/2 calipers (my car is for spirited driving and daily driving, probably don't need brembos for that).

And it sounds like if I do the ej207 jdm swap, if I have a usdm transmission set up I should still be ok (unless I'm missing something).

So for me, I should start sourcing for option 2? So basically look at junk yards for 04 STIs with healthy undercarriages and raid them for the specific parts listed in this thread?
If you are doing the ej207 swap just get one that includes the matching 6 speed and I would get the brembos too. You quickly enter a gray area when you mix and match parts. It works, but information becomes questionable and repairs down the road get difficult when you are trying to remember what year and model a part came from.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
70 Posts
If you are doing the ej207 swap just get one that includes the matching 6 speed and I would get the brembos too. You quickly enter a gray area when you mix and match parts. It works, but information becomes questionable and repairs down the road get difficult when you are trying to remember what year and model a part came from.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
So basically just suck it up, and do the full jdm all the way through? Doesn't that also eventually send you down a similar rabbit hole though? Because when the jdm part breaks, now you need to either mix and match or find another jdm part?

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.5RS BRP
3,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #551 ·
For the transmission back, the JDM parts (outside of gear ratios) are interchangeable with the USDM equivalents.

As far as the track width of the car, that's determined by the suspension, not the drivetrain. Within a JDM kit, you could find a '01-03 5x100 set so that you got the Brembos and didn't have to worry about your struts bolting in. Newer than that would be 5x114.3.

The parts that determine your track width are:
Front: control arms
Rear: lateral links

People run wider axles from the GD in the GC track, and I'm doing it in the rear of one of my cars. I've not tried it in the front, but I've not had any issue with the rears for years.

·
Registered
V5 STi Type-R
26 Posts
They do not, they're different and incompatible.
Thanks for confirming, I know people have run the longer sti axles on narrow track width with no issues, just thought better safe than sorry if possible.

On another note, GD knuckles are getting way too $$ these days, just bought a set of front VA ones to try, couldn’t find any concrete evidence whether they’re the same as GD dimensionally, will find out soon.

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.5RS BRP
3,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #557 ·
VA knuckles are part of a totally different suspension design and I would not expect it to work easily, if at all. But good luck!

·
Registered
V5 STi Type-R
26 Posts
From what I read, GR coilovers are direct bolt on for VA, people had success using GR knuckles and said Subaru front suspension geometry remain largely unchanged. Got a good deal for the VA knuckles so we’ll see.
The rear is more straightforward, I’ll just be getting new 5x114 hubs to press into existing rear knuckles.

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.5RS BRP
3,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #559 ·
My mistake, I was thinking about the rear hubs as far as geometry. It would likely work, go ahead and post up your results!

As far as the rear, if you're running R160 rear knuckles, the 5x114 hubs won't simply press in. The entire knuckle is different.

·
Registered
V5 STi Type-R
26 Posts
You’re right, maybe R160 and R180 rear knuckles are different as far as hub fitment, I was thinking about how 04 sti guys just press 5x114 hubs into their rear knuckle. Fortunately my type R is R180 so it “should” work even though it’s GC R180??

541 - 560 of 563 Posts