Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

481 - 500 of 526 Posts

·
Registered
The subaru of many acronyms
1,918 Posts
When you push it towards the firewall, remove the slave cylinder so you can get it as far as you can. then try, if its not grabbing after that you may have popped the retaining ring off of the clutch.

·
Registered
97 Imp OBS
270 Posts
So I removed the slave cylinder and pushed the fork back as far as possible. Still popping out. I turned the crankshaft and listened for any odd noises or binding but its smooth. I also pulled the dust boot and tried to look down inside but couldnt really see anything. So what are my options now?

·
Registered
97 Imp OBS
270 Posts
Ok so I pulled the engine.....again. The throwout bearing was definitely snapped into the pressure plate cause I had to remove the clutch fork. Once apart I snapped the bearing into the pressure plate and I pulled on it and its in there tight. Its a little wobbly but its snapped in there for sure. Cant get it out unless I pry apart with a screwdriver. So when it was together why couldnt I get the fork far enough towards the firewall to sit against the slave cylinder? I mean the slave was fully extended with the fork as far back as possible and it barely touched. This sucks! Car has been down since Early December.

·
2001 A.W. L
13,249 Posts
Do you have some pics of everything? Sometimes its the little things we see in the pictures.

Is everything new? clutch and TOB?

What 6 speed?

[edit, I see your earlier posts now, reading them]

·
Registered
97 Imp OBS
270 Posts
Do you have some pics of everything? Sometimes its the little things we see in the pictures.

Is everything new? clutch and TOB?

What 6 speed?

[edit, I see your earlier posts now, reading them]
Jdm 02 6spd. Everything is new. I can get some pics and post when I get back home.

·
Registered
1999 2.5RS
672 Posts
It doesn't look like the tob is being held to the pp securely by the bearing cage/retaining ring. What brand are all the parts you're using? Dumb question but I'm assuming during the install you have the tob installed on the trans w/fork and the retaining ring installed on the pp right?

If you weren't so far away I'd come by and take a look!

·
Registered
97 Imp OBS
270 Posts
It doesn't look like the tob is being held to the pp securely by the bearing cage/retaining ring. What brand are all the parts you're using? Dumb question but I'm assuming during the install you have the tob installed on the trans w/fork and the retaining ring installed on the pp right?

If you weren't so far away I'd come by and take a look!
Yes the tob was installed on the fork and the retaining ring was installed on the pp. Is the tob supposed to sit flat against the pp when its snapped into place? The clutch kit was an ebay brand. I know, I should have went with an Exedy.

·
Registered
1999 2.5RS
672 Posts
Is the tob supposed to sit flat against the pp when its snapped into place?
Afaik, yes. When I mated my trans to the motor (input shaft all the way in) and pushed backwards (towards firewall) firmly on the clutch fork to snap the tob into the bearing cage, I don't remember there being any give when I tested pushing backwards a bit more. Of course it was impossible for me to actually see the tob but it felt like it was resting flat against the bearing cage/retaining ring whatever you wanna call it.

·
Registered
97 Imp OBS
270 Posts
The only reason the tob doesnt sit flat to the pp is because the flat spring piece that sits on the back (pp side) of the retaining ring.

·
Registered
1999 2.5RS
672 Posts
Got it, yea I wish I took more pics when i did mine to help compare. I actually can't remember mine having the spring piece on the retaining ring, hm.

Did you happen to get any pics while the motor & trans were together to see how far back the clutch fork would go?

Still trying to rack my brain why this didn't all fall into place for you.

edit: also if it helps you can pm me your# and we can facetime, I'd probably get a better look at everything that way.

·
Registered
2001 AW Coupe
223 Posts
I had this same thing happen to me when I changed my first clutch on the RSTi and I cannot for the life of me remember what the problem was. What I do remember was we pulled the engine at least three times and removed the slave cylinder a couple of times because it just didn't want to budge. If I remember what it was I'll chime back in.. sorry for not being a help.

·
Registered
97 Imp OBS
270 Posts
What clutch fork are you using, 5 or 6 speed?
As far as I know its the 6spd fork. Its what came with the transmission. I did think of that since the previous owner had it swapped into an 02 wrx. I compared pics on ebay and it looks identical to other listed 6spd forks.

·
Registered
2001 AW Coupe
223 Posts
Check through this thread and make sure the 6 speed for is what you should use for you're whole setup. Im using a WRX clutch and I don't remember which slave cylinder but I wanna say we had an issue with the fork a d swapping g it around to the other fixed it. I know I'm being vague but I'm trying g to job the memory, it's been a while.

·
Registered
97 Imp OBS
270 Posts
Great news we got it working. Pulled the pressure plate off the engine and installed the tob and the retainer ring and notice that the retainer was catching on the edge of the pressure plate. We reinstalled the pressure plate with the tob already in and slid the fork in the tob once the trans and engine were together. Everything came together great and we were able to bleed the clutch and everything works!! Thanks for the advice and help.

·
Registered
'99 RBP RSTi Coupe
203 Posts
I am going from an 4EAT straight to a 6 speed. What transmission cross member should i use? the 6 speed trans mount does not bolt into the 4EAT tranny cross member. thanks!

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.5RS BRP
3,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #499
You can use either manual cross member, 5 or 6 speed. You need to use the 6 speed trans mount in it though.

·
Registered
'99 RBP RSTi Coupe
203 Posts
You can use either manual cross member, 5 or 6 speed. You need to use the 6 speed trans mount in it though.

5 speed from a GC? Or GD wrx or sti? Is there even a difference between the GD wrx and sti trans x member? Tons of GD sti trans cross members on eBay so that would be easy to grab if it works.

Thanks!

481 - 500 of 526 Posts