Registered
06 imp white wagon
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
chassis strengthening:

picture1

picture2

picture3

the fender braces were easy to install once i got one side done. turns out i didnt need to remove fenders or remove the wheels even! here's what i did:

1) raise car up on jack
2) remove fender lining
3) remove any aux equipment to side bumper eg. flaps
4) start unbolting the fender from chassis
5) start bending the fender away from body (keeping it on the chassis by the headlights) look at picture 2
6) remove old crap brace and replace with new one
7) now put everything back together. simple. and i didnt need to take off the fender or even the wheel! :)

whiteline rear strut bar: (self explanatory)

·
Registered
06 imp white wagon
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
H6 rear brake upgrade: very easy to do as well thanks to the forums!

this mod was very iffy for me. as in i really liked the increase in braking, but on the other hand i also lost a bit of pep in the acceleration.

i had to switch back to stock after a while (noticed my mpg getting worse and also i couldn't handle how slow the car got.)

·
Registered
06 imp white wagon
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
misc:

waxed my wheels, dropped on sti takeoffs, and put on some mcgard spline wheel lock and lugs, not much wheel gap anymore and the rides perfect.

·
Registered
06 imp white wagon
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
snow pics section! i might as well since i have a whole bunch of them. subarus in their natural element ftw.

block heaters and leaving your car parked outside does not mix well

greetings from canadaland (taken some winters ago)

sensei's dojo

·
mix and match..:)
MY99 GF4 Ver6 Re-creation
840 Posts
cool...looks like you have a great starting platform...you've got some tasteful mods going on...:)....Keep it going...

Bill

·
Registered
06 imp white wagon
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
^ thanks for all the comments!

just an update for 09, i have adding a lot of suspension stuff lately, and have been thinking about brakes and power upgrades.

i am thinking about keeping my stock calipers and doing a budget build on this setup. maybe some powerslot rotors, hawk pads, SS lines, 5.1 brake fluid for a start. maybe just finish it up by painting the calipers silver or something, do you guys think this is alright? (i have long given up hope of owning subaru 4/2pots because i want to keep my rotational mass down, i tried H6 rotors in the rear before but they bogged my car down so badly that i switched back to stock)

as for power, my plans are: custom weld sti midpipe and then a stromung dual tip or prodrive ovaltip axleback. (but i'll prob end up with a whole sti catback system)

i'm iffy about getting power gains from a UEL and problably most likely will not go that route. as for engine work, maybe a lightweight pulley, and pitch-stop mount is in my thinking. is there something that guys would most heartily recommend to adding on my list?

·
Registered
536 Posts
Did the rear wheels turn freely after the H6 upgrade? I'm thinking the parking brake drum might have been dragging or something.

-Cybin

·
Registered
06 imp white wagon
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
the rear wheels turned just fine, no squealing and the e-brake isn't the culprit, had no problems there. i think it was just the rotational mass, it really changed the whole dynamics of the car.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts