Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

81 - 98 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
Turbo, LS swapped Impreza RS
5,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
I have considered it, one of our customers is a patent lawyer so it wouldn't be that difficult I think.

On the other hand, I still don't have a product to mass produce/sell yet so the idea of starting a business is not currently in the forefront of my thoughts.

·
I ❤ BOOBIES
99 Coupe
17,025 Posts
Heres that under guard i made

Mocked up the under guard, going to cut it tomorrow and try to bend it in a siding brake so i hope its thin enough. Ill try the lift arm dimple die too. FYI a 4' by 3' sheet fits wheel to wheel, rad support to cross member with a little extra.

So i tried the lift arm method, wasnt enough weight so i stood on it. That wasnt enough weight, so i threw all the heavy things in the garage on top. That wasnt enough, so i decided just to lower the whole car onto it, which worked like a charm.

Trimmed some corners a bit, bent the sides and front up, all thats left is some rivnuts for the rad support and a few dimple dies around the thing and its just about done.

Theres about 5-6mm of gap from the pan, a little more at the crossmember. Should be enough space to keep it from rattling if it vibrates a bit.

I finished up the guard last night, it'd be really cool to have one water/laser cut for clean edges as this looks ok but not having even edges/corners bothers me. I threw a STI sticker on it to distract from one of the bends not being even. It works and doesnt rattle.

·
Premium Member
2001 SRP 2.5RS/RA/SOHC Monster
2,795 Posts
Who's gonna see it? Looks great. Now make one for the trans.

My goal is to have the entire under body skinned.

·
I ❤ BOOBIES
99 Coupe
17,025 Posts
I told the guy i got it from i wanted to do a whole flat bottom and he said i was crazy. This stuff is fairly heavy though, id use alumalite or something like that which has a sandwhich core.

·
Premium Member
2001 SRP 2.5RS/RA/SOHC Monster
2,795 Posts
I would do a poly bottom. Maybe rivet lips in front to direct the flow like below, except the dash line would continue forward up to the \ and no gap. Limited characters lol

\_-----
I'm using Aluminum under the engine and trans then skinning the bottom with HDPE.

·
Registered
'00 White RS
222 Posts
interesting reads so far. I have a few welders that I inherited from my father in law. Don’t know anything about them but he used them for commercial stuff and also for welding farm equipment. He was a professional contractor but not a professional welder.
Will keep an eye on this thread and all your guys’ nice work.

·
Registered
5,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
interesting reads so far. I have a few welders that I inherited from my father in law. Don’t know anything about them but he used them for commercial stuff and also for welding farm equipment. He was a professional contractor but not a professional welder.
Will keep an eye on this thread and all your guys’ nice work.
Post up some pictures of your equipment if you want! Someone in here can likely shed some light on what you have to work with.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
'00 White RS
222 Posts
Ted, I know one is a Merlin 75 stick welder. One is a old Lincoln WeldandPower arc welder with generator built in. 190amp?

theres a third one too, that’s buried. Not sure what it is.
I’m whatever you would call a pre beginner. I have a lot of YouTube videos and tutorials and safety videos to watch/read

·
Registered
5,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
Ted, I know one is a Merlin 75 stick welder. One is a old Lincoln WeldandPower arc welder with generator built in. 190amp?

theres a third one too, that’s buried. Not sure what it is.
I’m whatever you would call a pre beginner. I have a lot of YouTube videos and tutorials and safety videos to watch/read
By the sounds you are working with some oldschool equipment. While you probably won't be doing precise sheet metal work with it I am sure it would come in handy. I did my first license plate bracket relocation with a 80s era tombstone!

Welding tips and tricks podcast by Jody Collier on Youtube is hands-down my favorite source of welding tips and tricks.

·
Registered
5,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
Still lacking a toy of my own I have been helping a few people out with fab work on there own vehicles. Sorry in advance for the picture quality, tapatalk no longer allows original sizing without a VIP membership.

I did this bandsaw jig for a fellow fabricator (thanks to Equinox92 for handling the printing)

Finished all the fab work on a car I restored at work.

And I have been developing a low profile filter housing for BW S475 housings

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1999/2017 RSTI
221 Posts
I don't know how this thread is suppose to help us weekend wrenchers get more confidence in doing our own Fab work....

This stuff is too beautiful! but since many of you "claim" to just learned from watching vids and doing it yourself, do you guys have any links good start off vids, like first steps, basics of voltage and how not to hurt yourself... I mean seriously, I have never welded ever before... I think I tacted my uppipe once at a friends house 12 years ago...

I mean common, one of you has an Autocad plasma cutter... ?

·
Registered
1999/2017 RSTI
221 Posts
YouTube: Weld.com! Awesome guys and a a metric f---ton of knowledge can be learnt from them!
Thjanks, been binge watching and also found 6061.com guy.... f n amazing... but it really seems like take a lot of years and significant individual talent...

Also is it rude to ask some on this thread for their templates... that underguard sure would make a great starting project for someone like me .. hint hint @Bansheeboy11 ... ?

81 - 98 of 98 Posts