Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

· needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
12,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the official thread for those who've killed an ej20k engine or still have a living one. Its not really for technical discussion, that is for the tech section. Please let us know what year ej20k you had/have, mods if any, and whether or not it is still kicking. Approximate mileage would be cool too.
I'll start with mine having 43k on the clock and in the process of being freshened up. I've replaced the main and rod bearings and the shortblock has been cleaned and resealed. I'm currently in the process of cleaning the valves and will be reattaching the heads in the near future. Not sure when the engine will be in the car because I've decided to go house hunting (need a place to do the swap and stay dry, its been raining for hours this morning and its basically flooded / aka this place is literally a swamp during the summer)

· Registered
BRP ver5 RSTi, Beater Leggy
439 Posts
I killed my ver5 ej207 last january - that's close enough to an ej20k isn't it?

Getting rebuilt and should be back in the car ready for break in by early august if all goes to plan.

· Registered
01 STM RS EJ257, 6MT, Brembos
2,509 Posts
Good thread. I love the '20K but I have issues with its reliability. I would like to hear what others have to say. The other EJ20K thread was very informative.

· needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
12,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
BigWig711 and 00imprezars haven't posted and they both have running 20k's as of now.

· needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
12,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

· Premium Member
RSTI
8,182 Posts
I still wouldn't recommend buying a used EJ20K engine to anyone expecting it to last more than 5k miles. EJ20G people don't have nearly the same failure rate. I primed the shit out of mine and ran nothing but 100 octane post swap. There is IMO nothing I could have done to prevent engine failure if it had not failed prior to my receiving it.

cheers

poorman

I'm beginning to think its more user error than a design flaw.

· needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
12,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I still wouldn't recommend buying a used EJ20K engine to anyone expecting it to last more than 5k miles. EJ20G people don't have nearly the same failure rate. I primed the shit out of mine and ran nothing but 100 octane post swap. There is IMO nothing I could have done to prevent engine failure if it had not failed prior to my receiving it.

cheers

poorman

That makes 3 that I know of, including Braden's a while back
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bMFI52Uq4g
Of course now I'm trying to remember if his was even a k...

· needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
12,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

cheers

poorman

Yeah, you have to of course count in the possibility of prior abuse. Did you split your block to check the bearings before getting it running?

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.