Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
2010 Forester
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
AHWWWWW YEAAAHHHHHHHHH BOYEEEEEEEEE!!!!!

"I'm just a love machine and I won't work for nobody but you
I'm just a love machine, yeah, baby"

So this is my childhood motorcycle. A 1981 Honda Mini Trail 70 that I got back in the late 90s or early 2000s. This is the first bike I rode as the first bike I dumped too. Since about 2005 it has sat in the garage collecting dust and wanting to be repaired and brought back to it's former glory.

Because I have wanted to do this for years, I made up my mind to pull it out and start the restore. The goals for this are pretty straightforward:

-Make it run right
-Make it fun to ride
-Make it legal
-Blow off panties as I ride by on the Love Machine
-Paint and all around clean up

This sticker also...

The reason for the last one is because my dad and I are also re-painting our Wrangler. It will be Hugger Orange, and by God, the Love Machine will match it. I know we will have some extra left over, and I will have it prepped LONG before we are ready to paint the Wrangler.

Things that I know need work right off the bat:
-Clean carb out & jetted for high elevation
-Rusty gas tank either needs to be replaced or restored (whichever is cheaper)
-Rear tail needs replacement
-Turn signals need to be installed for street legalness (not really, but it's a fact of the matter)
-Tranny has some issues sticking in between gears (all 3 of them and its an auto, might just buy the 4 speed manual it's only 350 for a brand spankin new motor and trans.)
-General tuneup associated with any old bike that hasn't ran for a decade.

Now on to the sex appeal, cause that's all I know 99.99999% of you came here for.

Table of Contents:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2010 Forester
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I started the tear down pretty well right away. I wanted to get the carb apart and see the damage on the inside from all the gas left in there over the years...

Found this off the bat

So I now REALLY know that I need to fix the tank situation. A local shop said they could clean it out and epoxy the inside. It's my wifes co-workers shop so I think I can get a hookups.

Hooked up a tube to the reserve line and saw how much I could naturally drain out, and got almost 90%

After that I started the work of taking off the carb. Pretty easy overall. Few bolts, airbox, intake manifold or whatever you wanna call the elbow, and taking off the throttle cable insert.

BAM! Easy as pie.

Now it's a bench job to disassemble... :)

And that is as far as I will be tearing down the carb. I obviously put everything in baggies labeled and in a bin until I clean each part and put it back together.

I started taking off some of the body stuff now.

Ugly battery that will be replaced with a sealed one (only like 15 bucks so I would rather be safe and deal with sealed vs. older ones

2 bolts and the seat is off, 2 more and the gas tank can come out! Gotta make sure to document correct fuel lines and where they go, otherwise on will be reserve and reserve will be off on the petcock.

Ugly innards I will be taking out soon enough!

And that was as far as I got tonight. Have a pile of parts organized and how the Love Machine sits as of now.

UPDATE 5/19/14

Got to do some more work today because I am on break and wife was at work. More teardown happened, and I found out a lot about these thingys.

No more rear wheel!

The rear brakes look in decent shape. Still replacing the pads though. Worst thing that could happen is deez could like implode on themselves cause they are so old.

And apparently there is gear oil that is used for the rear shocks. Found that out after it got all over me :( So more stuff to replace.

UPDATE 5/28/14

Did some more teardown today. Kickstand, rear end is all off, and front tire is now off!

As she sits today:

Excuse the cell phone pics, I am mad at my DSLR... Well, not at my DSLR, but morons that I took pictures of a few days ago. I don't wanna touch it for a while.

·
Premium Member
2010 Forester
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
UPDATE 5/19/14

Got started early with this...

Yes, that is boiling simple green. Apparently it helps loosen up the nasty stuffs in there. So I put in each set of parts for about 10 mins and the main carb body for 30. You tell me how they look now... I think pretty freakin good!

The Petcock needed some brake parts cleaner as well after but it turned out noice!

But the carb is 110% cleaned out now and I ordered new jets to help with the elevation change. Once they are in then I can put it back together and then be on to other parts!

UPDATE 5/28/14

Decided that out of sheer cheepness, I am going to try to clean out the gastank first. So I picked up some rust remover solution for like 20 bucks. Plugged the outlets to the petcock, and dumped it all in there. Says I can leave it in there for a while.... I am just gonna shake it up every once in a while and by tomorrow night we shall see what happened!

UPDATE 7/7/14

I let the gastank rust stuff sit in forever. And holy crapballs it cleaned the bajeesus out of the tank! I will post up pics and what I used later, but I am very happy with the end product to say the least. 20 bucks vs. 100 bucks... I'll take that!

UPDATE 9/26

Got the new motor, she fits!!!!

But that's besides the point. Got some good work done today, started in on the small prep pieces that need to be done before media blasting, like cleaning up the rims, some threads, etc. pictures to follow.

Welded on new thread metal

BAM! Fixed threads

Pulled apart the rims, found rust, started grinding those down and ran outta time!

In 2 weeks itll be blasted, then painted, then back together slowly!!!!!

·
Premium Member
2010 Forester
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
UPDATE 9/26/14

Started on some paint work today, mall stuff really, but it's still progress in the right direction.

Got the Kickstand and the Rear Brake painted, sorry no pics. :(

·
Premium Member
2010 Forester
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
SHE BE DONE!!!!!!

It took a long time and a lot of paperwork but thankfully it's all operating and puts a smile on my face every time I get on it.

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,282 Posts
Those are badass! An aunt had one and let me ride it every time I went to visit. Being so close to the ground makes it way more crazy of a ride

·
Premium Member
2010 Forester
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Those are badass! An aunt had one and let me ride it every time I went to visit. Being so close to the ground makes it way more crazy of a ride
I missed it honestly, and now that I am back home I can do all these things that I wanted to while I was traveling. So, this is one of them!

I think I am going to end up making a removable basket for the back so I can take it to the grocery store and more importantly for beer runs!

·
Premium Member
2010 Forester
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dont forget me! Tomorrow I can shoot you some products to help!

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
I just need to tear down and see all what I need first. I can already see the o-rings and a lot of the other rubber being shot. I tugged on the float bowl drain hose and it broke off the carb.

We will talk anyways.

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,282 Posts
I've been wanting one for years, just don't have a place to stash it and someone would throw it in their truck bed and take it. :( So far I've been lucky with the R6, takes a little more effort to steal and has an alarm. When I have a garage a honda trail will be my next toy. So easy to carry on a small trailer, I already have a hitch on my suby! Subscribed for motivation :)

·
Premium Member
2010 Forester
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've been wanting one for years, just don't have a place to stash it and someone would throw it in their truck bed and take it. :( So far I've been lucky with the R6, takes a little more effort to steal and has an alarm. When I have a garage a honda trail will be my next toy. So easy to carry on a small trailer, I already have a hitch on my suby! Subscribed for motivation :)
I'll keep posting to keep you motivated!

Reference for myself: Auto to Manual Kit

·
Premium Member
2010 Forester
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Did some work today on it, look above for the updates.

I guess that the rear shock was so loose from its housing that it fell apart while i was taking it apart. Like literally i had the shock main column in my hand and the spring, body, and everything else on the floor. I did a pure WTF moment. Debating if i should repair or just get new ones altogether.

Also found out to get the tank cleaned was like 250 bucks. I can buy a 110% new one for 96 bucks... I'll just buy a new one.

Found a Clymer manual for it too. Definitely going to pick that up to help with wiring and all the smaller bits.

Also really debating if I should tear down the engine. It ran good way back in the day, just needed some jet work. I think I am going to pull it to paint everything, but that is as far as I will go.

·
Premium Member
2010 Forester
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It's a baby awesomeness filter.

I kinda wanna do it + adding on MOLLE Saddlebags.

Go straight bug out mini trail 70.

·
Premium Member
2010 Forester
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Update from today's little bit of work. Got the tank started on cleaning, and more torn apart.

·
Premium Member
2010 Forester
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Quick update. No pictures sorry!

Started wet sanding down parts and painting as I go along. Simple black fenders and red body.

I ordered a set of rear shocks because they were a no-go. 100 bucks later and here we go! But, that I knew would be the most expensive thing. Hopefully over the next week or two I can finish the sanding and painting and start to re-assemble.

Then begins the illustrious tuning of a carb with new jets and adjusting the clutch to work the way it is supposed to.

·
Premium Member
2010 Forester
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Small and subtle update.

Started painting, really don't like the Plastidip I had going, so I thinks I am going to strip it and see about getting a powdercoating done for a deal.

Taking with my dad too, he now wants to help (go figure) and he is wanting to put a 125cc motor in this for sh!ts and grins. I agree.

We shall see what the future beholds.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts