Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
2013 FR-S
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The Life of Nathan's 99 GF4 "Sofi" Begins

Well, I went last Sunday to look at a 1999 Impreza L Wagon in Merced. After looking the car over [well] and driving it, I decided I wanted to buy it. No, it wasn't in as good condition as I'd hoped, but I've been looking for MONTHS for a reasonably priced OBS/Impreza wagon, and it seems these things are relatively scarce here in California! I decided that being a college student, not having a car wasn't an option, and besides, those are just more things to lower the purchase price which = more fun money :D

The previous Saturday night I had sold my [horrendously huge] 1994 Volvo 960 for $3700, exactly $1000 more than the purchace price only 5 months ago :D It was definitely a lucky sale, the markey is absolutely AWFUL right now. Living right next to the forclosure capital of the state, people aren't buying luxury cars in this area so much. It seems the stars aligned for me to get a Subaru for Christmas :cool:

Went on Tuesday to get a cashier's check, but the check hadn't officially cleared yet, so I had to wait until after vacation :( Last night I went in, was able to get the check, and after calling my contact (the owner was out of the country) I immediatel left to pick it up.

An hour and a half later, she was mine :clap:

Finally got some pics today!

It's dirty, but I have to start my journal at the beginning right? :D

Name explanation in post #47 :)

Nathan

Attachments

·
Registered
2013 FR-S
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
UPDATED December 16, 2010

Known issues:
Mechanically, it seems sound. For 157,000, I was amazed to see no leaks of any kind or any visible issues. It runs great and starts fast.

Body:
-5 or so dings in various places. Going to call a paintless dent repair guy I know and get an estimate this week.
-The bumper covers are pretty beat up. I wasn't too worried about this because I plan to get the RS bumper this summer. Hopefully JDM rear eventually.

Future Plans:
-Fix issues with body
-RS Bumpers
-STi Roof and Waist spoilers
-2003 WRX Wagon rear seat conversion
-Black out interior, haven't decided on a technique yet
-Suspension
-Poly bushings all around
-Solid Endlinks
-Possibly bigger rear sway (WRX 20mm currently)​
-WRX Swap :D I plan to do everything else first. I believe that a person who can drive a slow car fast is a much better driver than someone who uses power to make up for their driving skill, so I plan to go as far as I can competition wise in Rally X, Auto X, track, whatever on the stock motor, and then upgrade. I also believe that upgrading the suspension, etc. to handle the power and still drive correctly is very very important.

Completed Mods:
-WRX Wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Tires , 225/50-16
-RS Front brakes
-Legacy rear knuckles and rotors with Ver. 3 STi Type RA calipers.
-Stainless brake lines in the rear
-DOT 4 brake fluid
-Leather Shift Boot
-Killer-B Sphere brushed black delrin shift knob
-Kartboy Front and Rear Shifter Bushings
-Ebay Ganzflow style intake
-Tint, 35% front/5% rear
-2003 WRX Front Seats
-Suspension
-WRX 20mm sway bar
-Tribeca Front Swaybar
-2004 STi Struts and Springs, revalved by FEAL​
-3 way active stereo system with sub
-Peerless 2" Wideband Drivers On Dash playing 1000 Hz and up
-Aurasound 6.5" NRT Drivers in the door playing 1000 Hz down to 80 Hz
-Creative Sound Solutions SDX10 10" XBL^2 Subwoofer in .7 cu-ft polyfill stuffed box
-Cadence Flash series 5 channel amplifier, 100x4 + 300x1 running everything
-Clarion DXZ-785USB running everything​

Nathan

·
Premium Member
98 OBS, Black/Grey
2,724 Posts
Nice car. Seems like you have a good plan for your future mods. I look forward to seeing this car progress! How much did you end up paying for it?

·
Registered
2013 FR-S
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I paid $3000. Seemed fair to me, Blue Book in "good" condition was $3200 and fair $2700ish and I'd call it above fair as the interior is in great shape and most of the exterior problems are easy to fix.

I plan to get the basic looks of the car fixed first (Fix the bumpers, tint, maybe rims) as I want to learn the car a bit better driving wise before I decide exactly what to do, and it's already the best handling car I've owned, so that tells you something about my experience :D

I think after I get the body/tint stuff figured out my next move is a short shifter, either Gimmick or Kartboy I'm not sure yet.

Nathan

·
Premium Member
2001, Outback Sport
288 Posts
I picked my 01 OBS up for $3200 off of ebay. had the timing belt replaced by the dealer, and havent had any issues since. i am in need of a front cv joint, and some back brakes though. good luck with yours. hope you dont have issues pop up.

·
Registered
'04 PSM WRX Premium
8,339 Posts
I picked my 01 OBS up for $3200 off of ebay. had the timing belt replaced by the dealer, and havent had any issues since. i am in need of a front cv joint, and some back brakes though. good luck with yours. hope you dont have issues pop up.
Your lucky! I just looked at a 99 OBS and I really liked the whole wagon thing. They wanted $7500 for it! It did have 'low' miles of 90K, but I don't think that justifies the price.

OP, nice snag with the silver wagon there. Should be a great car!

·
Registered
1999, 2.5 RSTi, RBP
2,239 Posts
+1!!! I love beating guys at autocross that put down 300 whp when I am not even over 100 whp. I love it!!
I know you crush the hell out of me during the events. I just started though and you have a better build on suspension and everything than I do but still you kick ass man and I still want an OBS.

I can't wait to see how this project goes.

·
Registered
2013 FR-S
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Alright! Got it cleaned up and I feel even better about the purchase. This thing is CLEAN.

There were a couple spots on the hood where someone took a scotch-brite or some other abrasive to the paint, only God knows why. :cry: Bought some rubbing and polishing compounds and set to work. Ended up liking the results so much I ended up doing the entire car with the polishing compound. I did the hood with a buffer but the rest by hand. After that I washed it twice to get all the residue off, and then waxed it with Mother's California Gold Cleaner Wax. Love this stuff!

Vacuumed and shampooed the carpets where needed, and used Turtle Wax ICE to do the interior. This stuff is GOLD, never used it before but it's great. Leaves a nice, clean look, not too shiny, not too dull. HIGHLY recommended.

Anyways, on to the pics!

In progress

Mom said it looked like a hurricane hit our yard. I told her a hurricane did it. A cleaning hurricane :cool:

The work crew:

My dad and little brother wanted to help, so I put them to work :D

Engine prewashed. Pretty darn dusty!

Used some Purple Power and toothbrushes, much better!

It's not my car if it has a front license plate. My first mod on every car :D

Looking much better! At this point I'm not so sure about spending my first money on it on the dents haha. The car looks so much better clean that Im thinking maybe tint, short shifter/leather boot/knob, or rear sway. Any ideas?

Nathan

·
Registered
2013 FR-S
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Don't have enough money for more than a rear sway. The most money I'll have available is around $500. And that's if I choose to work more on my vacation :D Right now I have about $310 to work with.

Nathan

·
Registered
'04 PSM WRX Premium
8,339 Posts
Rear sway off a WRX for sure. Maybe some clear or amber corners?

For the time being... why not just take off the wheel covers? I's save for wheels with what you have left. They make a big difference in appearance.

·
Registered
2013 FR-S
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Found some 02 WRX wheels + usable tires on NASIOC near to me. Will see what happens. If I get them for a good price and work a couple more days I might be able to swing that + a rear sway :D

1 - 20 of 132 Posts