Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
2015 WRX
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've resisted long enough, so here we go.

Car: 1995 Impreza LX Coupe, Brilliant Red

Post 1. Index and Mod List

Post 2. Background - How the Madness Began

Post 3. Tear Down Phase 1 - The Cleansing

Post 5. Tear Down Phase 2 - The Rebuild

Post 6. Rebuild Part 2

Post 7. Let the Modding Really Begin - Upgrading the EJ20G

Post 8. Updated Interior/Exterior Pics

Post 9 + 10. Next Round of Mods - Time for Some REAL Power

Post 11. More goodies on the way!

Post 12. Goods installed!

- Current Mod List

Drivetrain:
- Version 1 STi RA EJ20G - closed deck 2.0L
- 5 Speed 3.9 RA gearbox with functioning DCCD
- A'pexi RHF5 VF22 turbo (VF22 compressor housing, larger A'pexi designed impeller)
- A'pexi intake
- Ebay FMIC
- Cobb catted downpipe
- Borla Hush cat back
- LGT stock recirc. bpv
- Generic dual catch cans
- Walbro 255 lph fuel pump
- Aeromotive adjustable fuel pressure regulator
- Carl Davey fuel rail adapter

To be installed:
- Deatchwerks 650 cc side feed injectors
- STi recirculating bypass valve
- EJ25D fuel rails

Suspension/Brakes:
- STi V5/6 struts
- P1 springs
- Group N strut mounts
- STi CF front strut bar
- Whiteline rear strut bar
- Whiteline front HD endlinks
- Whiteline rear HD endlinks
- Cusco rear sway bar
- Legacy SS front swaybar
- Whiteline steering rack bushings
- 04 WRX calipers
- Brembo blanks
- Hawk HPS pads

Wheels/tires:
Summer setup
- UK WRX 17" gunmetal wheels
- Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Spec 215/45-17 tires

Winter setup
- 99 RS 5 spokes
- Nokian Hakka' RSi

Interior:
- V3 STi seats front/rear
- GD STi floor mats
- WRX shift knob/ebrake handle
- STi pedals
- GC WRX cluster
- WRX shift boot
- armrest extension
- reapolstered headliner, door cards, and center console
- Autometer z series boost / oil pressure gauge
- AEM UEGO wideband

Exterior:
- OEM STi fog covers
- RS hood
- 98+ Headlights
- Depo clear corners
- JDM tails
- V1-4 front bumper
- RS wiper arm with blade
- 98 RS Coupe wing
- Trunk with tons of holes

·
Registered
2015 WRX
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Background - How the Madness Began

I picked up the car a little over two years ago from a fellow member. When I bought it the car had an EJ22T swap that needed alot of TLC to get up back on the road. Up-pipe gasket needed to be replaced, all four struts were blown, fubar'd shift linkage, worn out clutch, grinding transmission, bald tires, random faulty wiring, no 02 sensor (no idea how it even ran), and an all around lack of respect for the car.

The car also came with:

Enkei wheels
RS hood
98+ Headlights
RS Grill
V6 wing, paint matched

How it looked the day I picked it up:

Immediately I replaced the stock seats with those from an 02 WRX. A friend gave me a great deal and even helped install them.

·
Registered
2015 WRX
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Tear Down Phase 1 - The Cleansing

Since I initially bought the car to run at the track, I decided to strip it down and remove any unnecessary parts.

I added a roof vent to help move air through the car since I had taken out the dash and all hvac related items.

·
Registered
2006 Impreza WRX Limited
2,603 Posts
fail.

·
Registered
2015 WRX
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Tear Down Phase 2 - The Rebuild

I went back to school for my senior year and realized it was not financially feasible to keep my 00 RS and my L, so I decided to sell the RS and focus on finishing this car. I only had one set of seats for the two cars, so the WRX stockers went with the RS and the L got a Sparco fixed back seat.

I upgraded the terrible stock brakes with bits from an 04 WRX that I picked up for a good price.

-Brembo blanks
-Hawk HPS pads

At this point I had the car pretty much put back together after many hours tracking down the stock replacement parts that I sold off the previous spring.

The EJ22T really didn't offer the performance I was looking for, needed to be rebuilt, needed the harness rebuilt, and all around was not reliable for a daily driver. I started looking around deciding on a different swap. I looked at JDM and USDM 2.0 liter motors and decided JDM was the route I wanted to take. I spent a few months looking around and decided to pick up a Version 1 STi RA swap from Garage Tuning. I basically picked up a front clip removed from the shell. Motor, trans, rear diff, axles, rhd dash, all the engine bits, IC spray radiator, full wiring harness, RA ECU, dccd controller... the works. I also decided to spice up my interior with a set of V3 seats since my current setup left alot to be desired and Kevin gave me a good deal on the seats.

The donor car:

What showed up in the mail many months later:

My apartment at school for a few months til the swap started:

·
Registered
2015 WRX
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Rebuild Part 2

When I got back to school spring semester senior year I started the rebuild:

Tearing down again:

Rebuilding:

·
Registered
2015 WRX
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Let the Modding Really Begin - Upgrading the EJ20G

The stock bumper really wasn't cutting it, time for a new one:

At the time I didn't realize how well the stock RA intercooler flows, so I upgraded to a generic FMIC to help keep intake temps down:

At this point, I spent most of my time just driving the car and mods really halted for about a year. I graduated school, got a real job, started my life and finally started modding again this past spring.

Superleggeras were sold and I picked up a CLEAN set of 99 RS wheels with S-03 pole positions from a friend:

·
Registered
2015 WRX
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Current State

My S-03's really started to show their age and were deafening to drive on, so I started looking around for something different. I found a set of UK WRX wheels for a price I couldn't pass up and bought them.

Add in these:

And you get:

·
Registered
2015 WRX
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Now that I'm relatively happy with the car, it's time to tear it apart again and make some real power.

Over the past six months or so I've managed to accumulate everything I need to finally make some real power.
-A'pexi Power FC with Commander
-Walbro 255 lph fuel pump
-Aeromotive adjustable FPR
-EJ25D fuel rails
-Deatchwerks 650 cc side feed injectors
-Turbosmart fuel rail adapter
-Misc plumbing and fittings
-Hallman MBC

My goal for now is ~300 whp, nothing crazy, just enough to really have fun. I'm in the process of finishing the install and going for a tune in a couple weeks. I will update the thread with dyno plots when I'm finished.

Preview of some parts going on next weekend. The rest are at my buddy's house.

·
Registered
2015 WRX
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
8/25/08. More progress made this weekend, I spent a few days plumbing my aeromotive fuel pressure regulator, heat wrapping my intercooler piping, finishing my catch cans, and replacing all pre/post turbo exhaust gaskets.

A few pics with the car torn apart:

All put back together:

·
Registered
2015 WRX
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
More goodies are on the way. I picked up a WRX shifter console with knob, boot, and plastic trim. I'll be fitting the leather boot in place of the stock rubber accordian bit. I also snagged a coupe wing of an RS in brilliant red this afternoon. The plan is to have two trunks, one wingless (have but needs paint) and one with the coupe wing. As mentioned below, I also picked up a V1 DCCD cluster, which I'm waiting for to show up. I'll post updated pics once Everything has been installed.

09/08/2008: More parts! Apexi Boost Control Kit (415-A001) showed up. This includes Apexi boost control solenoid, 3 bar map sensor and various tubing and wiring. Also, Deatchwerks 650 cc side feed injectors.

Might as well throw in a couple after I washed up both cars yesterday. There's another members journal on the white L, it's got a few goodies, JDM WRX seats and misc trim bits. It's the daily driver for the household so nothing too fancy.

·
Registered
2015 WRX
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
09/09/2008: I received the WRX shift boot I ordered last week and fitted it to the stock L shifter trim. The quite pleased with the results, it was cheap and easy to install. Details on the install can be found here: http://www.rs25.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87061

09/10.2008: Coupe wing showed up today, so I installed it when I got home from work.

·
Registered
2015 WRX
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
09/13/2008: Installed DCCD cluster - 7.5k rpm redline (correct for STi RA motor) and DCCD readout. I figured I'd snap a few more pics of the new wing since it was nice out today.

·
Registered
2006 Impreza WRX Limited
2,603 Posts
I owned your MOAR replies, sorry i thought you just failed with PICS. :lol:

·
Registered
2015 WRX
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You guys are so impatient!!! :lol:

Updated with pics!

I have A LOT more, but this is the synopsis of my car.

·
Premium Member
12,694 Posts
Derek did you keep your top mount?

·
Registered
2015 WRX
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Derek did you keep your top mount?
Unfortunately, no. I did not realize at the time that it was one of the best flowing intercoolers Subaru made. I gave it to a friend who promptly sold the car he put it on. :mad:

Now that I finally started my journal, you have no excuse for not taking pics of your finished swap!

1 - 20 of 87 Posts