Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
'99 gc8 project & '16 wrx
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I am going to pick up some new tires, that are more performance inspired then all season. I have a 2000 coupe, lowered on H&R's currently, and soon to be P1's in two weeks. I am debating what size to go with, I think that I will be rolling my fenders with either, but I'm not positive. So can I fit 225/45or50/16 (stock rims), or should I go with a 215/50/16? I would love to get the 225 on it, but I don't want to rub on the struts, I can handle rolling the fenders. So what is the better idea, I know I wont feel a huge difference in handling between the two, but I know the 225 would look awesome!

Open to all opinions!

·
Registered
2000 2.5 RS-T srp sedan
2,732 Posts
A lot depends on which suspension, sure you can fit 225 with rolled fenders and not a huge drop.

But soemtimes the stock struts are still big enough to get rubbed, unlike some coilovers.

Hope some people with the same set up can post

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I went to discount to get prices for tires.

the guy raved about the Yokahama AVS ES100, ant he will give me a great deal on them. The size is a 225/45/16, from waht we can see, it is about .91 shorter then my current 205/55/16, but is .79 wider. So it might be tight but it sounds like it would possible work. what do you think?

I looked for some 215/50/16, but there was nothing, which seems weird. So I dont know seems like a really nice tire and its gonna be close but I think it will fit.

How much does it cost to get your fenders rolled?

·
Premium Member
'08 DGM Legacy Spec. B
1,105 Posts
Fender rolling costs about $40 per fender in my area. I had my rears cut and the fronts rolled.

·
Registered
2017 WRB BRZ w/PP
1,739 Posts
I'm running KYB-AGX with SPT spings with 225-45-16 Hankook Ventus Z212 R2 on the stock 6 spokes and I have no rubbing issues at all.

·
Registered
'06 LGT
8,334 Posts
I have H&R with AGX and had no problems with running a 225 with the stock rims however when I switched to the new prova, I had some serious rubbing out back, but that was taken care of with some quick fender rolling.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
01rs25 said:
I have H&R with AGX and had no problems with running a 225 with the stock rims however when I switched to the new prova, I had some serious rubbing out back, but that was taken care of with some quick fender rolling.

what tires were you running? any pics of the car with the 225's on it?

·
Registered
'06 LGT
8,334 Posts
Potenza RE 960's

Only with the new wheels

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so you only changed the rims not the tires?

·
Registered
'06 LGT
8,334 Posts
Correct, tires were only about 2,000 miles old and cost a pretty penny less then 2 months ago. However a buddy of mine had a great deal on some awsome wheels.

Luckily the rims were almost identical 16x7 but they had a +47 offset instead of the stock 46.

So there was alittle rubbing with the new wheels however I never had a single problem with the stockers. Even with people in the backseat I never had a problem with rubbing.

I say go for the 225, the size gives you alot better grip and it fills out the wheel wells nicely. Plus it makes the car look alittle beefier.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
how do you like those tires?

·
Registered
'06 LGT
8,334 Posts
The RE960's are a great tire, they are an amazing dry tire and work great in the rain, I have yet to hydroplane, and I've driven through some pretty large puddles.

When deciding on tires, I read and read and read the reviews on tire rack, these seemed to be the best for what I wanted. However I think that they are alittle over rated for snowy conditions. They will get you around fairly confidently but I think I may be picking up some winters.

As for 235's maybe when the STI swap goes in, right now I don't think I could justify spending the extra money for something thats not going to give that much more benifit.

·
Registered
2000 Subaru Impreza Silver (1
271 Posts
here is stock 6 spokes with 225/50/16 hankook rs2's

this is with all stock bolts in the rear...no rubbing inside or out this is with agx and eibach springs...even if it was lower no worries....

BUT when i added rear camber bolts i rubbed at full negative so i had to back off a bit so i ended up with a little less then 1.75 in the rear with out rubbing

viola

·
Registered
2006 Impreza WRX Limited
2,603 Posts
maybe ill go with Hankook RS2's on my stock 6-spokes and stock suspension...im looking to upgrade to KYB's and Eibachs eventually anyways...

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
RallyOD said:

this is with all stock bolts in the rear...no rubbing inside or out this is with agx and eibach springs...even if it was lower no worries....

BUT when i added rear camber bolts i rubbed at full negative so i had to back off a bit so i ended up with a little less then 1.75 in the rear with out rubbing

viola
Wow, that is one tight fit! any pics of the tires from the side?

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
How did you like the Hankock RS2? How many miles did you get out of them?

·
Registered
2000 Subaru Impreza Silver (1
271 Posts
here are a pics from the side..(the tires are backwards i know, it was a test fit)

unfortunately i only use them as autox tires so i go 1-2 times a month and it last me just over a year....brought me to a 10th place overall regional finish with only civics ahead of me....maybe i should switch teams and drive a civic huh?

ride height is 13.5 (aka the golden height) in the rear

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
you said you have an eibach drop?

·
Registered
00' RS SRP, 00' Ver.8 RS swap
654 Posts
RallyOD said:

viola
Thats still some good camber. I wouldn't complain about it ever. I run AGXs with Ion Performance springs, rolled rears, 225s no rubbing unless with a fully packed trunk and rear seat, stiff springs. I have yet to do any camber work which I intend to do in a couple weeks. Got camber bolts for up front and i'm probably gonna have the rear stock bolts maxed out.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts