Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A two door Impreza STI has always been my dream car. Sadly, I can’t afford the crazy prices the Type RA coupes are selling for out here in Alberta (around $15K-$20K). So, I’ve done the next best thing. I bought a parts car that’s hiding something special and a nearly rust free coupe.

(Above: Parts car, a 1998 Impreza 2.5 RS coupe that’s rusted to the core)

(Above: Project car/daily. A 1998 Impreza 2.5 RS coupe that’s riced, abused but almost completely rust free.)

Sadly the seller was not an honest fellow so the car is probably hiding many issues plus the list of things I already have to do to it like fixing a misfire and exhaust leak.

For my first night with the car I replaced all the mismatched body parts with those from my parts car. Also discovered the previous owner was halfway through an LED swap when he realized he’s and idiot and should just sell the car. I replaced the melted LED signal relay with one from the parts car, replaced the headlights and side lights with brand new ones and fixed the signal lights in the front. Sadly no fog lights for now as the bumper support is aftermarket and missing the mounts I need and the air intake has been moved behind the passenger side fog light by the previous owner.

More to come soon! Including some more information about the parts car’s true value to this project.

Update 1:
Hello! I’ll just be posting updates as edits rather than as replies under this post until I run out of space for photos. Should make it easier to follow later on. Since my last post I’ve checked off a few boxes and fixed a few more things.

The misfire has been fixed. It ended up being a bad ignition coil. Strangely both Subaru’s I’ve owned I bought with bad distributers. Even stranger the only other vehicle I’ve bought, a Chevy, also had a bad distributer upon purchase. Is this a common issue with older Subaru’s/ cars in general?

The coil overs have been raised back to factory height and there are some new to me summer tires mounted on it. (bye bye studded, bubbling side wall winters. You won’t be missed).

I’ve also been working on getting the factory RS ground effects mounted to the car. So far I’ve gotten everything mounted except for one of the side skirts. Anyone know where to get the factory hardware in Canada for a decent price? A local Subaru dealer has quoted me $70 for the lot of plastic clips and bolts I need to mount the skirt.

(I hate that fake exhaust tip with a passion. Sadly it’s stuck on to the exhaust from years of rust and a lot of hammering)

Lastly, I bought an engine stand. A crane and all the tools I need have been generously offered to me to borrow by another local Subaru enthusiast. He’ll help me pull an engine, in exchange for my parts car and some RS parts. This part I’m excited about:

A Ver6 STI Type RA EJ207 that has been partially swapped into the parts car. I plan on pulling it, rebuilding it and swapping it into my other RS for a classic RSTI swap. It’s got an STI trans, full drivetrain, DCCD and lots of other STI goodies mounted to the car and packed away in storage boxes. Sadly $$$ is a big factor for me as a student and this rebuild I want to do will probably take me the course of a year or so to do properly with new parts and professional work done to it. But, I’m excited and hope to learn a lot from this.

More updates to come!

Attachments

·
Registered
1995 1.8L Impreza Coupe
115 Posts
Almost exactly on queue, I was just looking last night for pictures of our cars with the larger hood scoop on them. lol Looking forward to more information on the build!

·
Registered
2001 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Any idea what the scoops are worth? I want to sell the massive one that I replaced with a stock one. I have no idea where to even look for a fair asking price.

·
Super Moderator
2000 RSTi
1,322 Posts
You can see them for sale on ebay. Look for "gc8 from scoop" for example. A company out of Taiwan makes them in both that style and the bugeye style. I bought the latter but have been waiting till I get my car resprayed to mount it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts