Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

101 - 120 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
99'RS w/EJ205, 16'340i 13'Volt
966 Posts
whats the issue now? Used car with problems is still a used car with problems haha sorry for your trouble man. i can say the same with a used Subaru.

·
Registered
'00 RS / V5 STI
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #103 (Edited)
whats the issue now? Used car with problems is still a used car with problems haha sorry for your trouble man. i can say the same with a used Subaru.
**knock on wood** I think I may have resolved it...

I bought the 135i with a dead passenger headlight. There's an oil cooler that sits behind it which blew on the previous owner, covering that side of the engine bay with oil. Upon initial inspection, I found a dead ballast - makes sense if oil caused a short and it took out the ballast.

I threw in a new ballast, which worked fine for a week, and then I lost the light again. I popped out this new ballast and also found it fried. From there I took apart most of the headlight, and used another that came with the car (the "adaptive" portion is dead) to determine what was the fault.

Ultimately the ballast blew and arc'd over the line that feeds the bulb. This charred the connection. Adding to this, (1) of the (2) mounts that hold the ballast in place was stripped, causing the ballast to not be held as tightly as needed.

So a new ballast, a new cable from ballast to bulb, and a larger self-tapping screw later, and it appears to be fine! I just had to remove the front bumper, wheels, and half the damn bumper guard to get the assembly out...

I did fix the spherical bearings on the camber plates first try, and I have the front ride height up to a reasonable level now - pretty happy about that.

Remaining on 135i:
  1. Check frame for straightness
  2. Alignment
  3. Fix dead airbags (wiring, mostly)
  4. New wheels and tires. 500 treadwear nowhere near what I need for grip.
  5. Continue dialing in suspension
  6. Trackday
Then I get to return focus to the GC. I think I said I was going to paint it like 2 years ago, I should probably get on that.

-TC

·
Registered
'00 RS / V5 STI
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #104 (Edited)
Looks like I forgot to mention that I've found the following upgrades on the 135i as I go through it:

• Upgraded FMIC
  • Upgraded charge pipes
  • TC Kline 3-way adjustable coilovers with camber plates
  • Rear strut tower bar
  • E92 M3 rear control arms
  • Adjustable rear trailing arms
With the FMIC and chargepipes, I'm able to push it to 400whp. This thing rips - you can spin tire shifting into 3rd without issue.

-TC

·
Registered
'00 RS / V5 STI
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
Signed up for a motorcycle track day at Thunderhill on October 30th.

Sorry Subaru, you gotta wait a little bit longer... :facepalm:

-TC

·
Registered
'00 RS / V5 STI
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #106 (Edited)
Signed up for a car track day at Thunderhill on December 10th. Will be taking the 135i.

Sorry Subaru, you gotta wait a little bit longer... :facepalm:

-TC

·
Registered
'00 RS / V5 STI
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
Turns out I'm about 6 seconds a lap faster in the GC8 than the 2013 CBR600RR around Thunderhill.

-TC

·
Registered
'00 RS / V5 STI
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #110 (Edited)
Good news - I passed the standard 2-year SMOG on my first try.

This may not seem like much since it's been BAR'd, but the following has changed since I got that sticker:

- JDM Up pipe (no cat)
- JDM Turbo (VF28)
- JDM Down pipe (1 cat)
- JDM Mid pipe (no cat, 2 resonators)
- JDM Muffler (doesn't matter, just connects to the mid pipe where the USDM model wouldn't)
- ID 725cc injectors
- COBB boost control solenoid
- Tune
- Boost gauge (not applicable for 2002 WRX, only 2003+)
- JDM dash still reading KM with "wrong" ODO

Now, typically any of these should fail you out on visual. I'm not positive on the dash being a dealbreaker, but obviously the exhaust, injectors, tune, etc. should immediately nuke your SMOG approval.

Read back through my previous posts to see what I did if your intention is to have a CA legal swap that you can squeeze more power out of. I'm particularly happy with the exhaust - he even showed me the second "cat," which is just a resonator. It totally did what I wanted it to do.

There is, naturally, one caveat - he commented that I only have (2) cats where as the BAR approval lists (3). He didn't think the up pipe would have one, and figured the second resonator is a resonator and not a cat (correctly). Thus, there is a small chance that when I go to re-reg in 2019 or 2020, they could flag my vin and force me to go back to the Ref. If that happens, I'll have everything ready to swap back, but it'll suck. Time will tell.

Also ran the numbers and I'm showing 11k miles on the swap after the dash change, so probably nearer to 12k. I'm super happy that it's lasted this long, especially as I'm not super nice to it. Oddly, I'm itching to build another motor.

-TC

·
Registered
'00 RS / V5 STI
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #111 (Edited)
Fixed the 135i's airbag issue - combination of soldering connections, dielectric grease, and fixing a bent pin got the whole system sorted. Now I just need to take care of the Takata airbag recall.

Also got new tires on it, Bridgestone Potenza S007a, as it continually over-powered the Michelin Pilot Sports. Hawk HPS+ pads are in the mail, along with new rotors, stoptech rear pads, oil, and filters. I don't think it'll need much more for the trackday (Dec 10).

I plan on swapping in some E82/E90 sport seats and an AKG short shifter at some point. These "comfort" trim seats suck so much. The short shifter is just candy, I want it raised like the GC, and there aren't many BMW shifter extenions.

Oh - I'm also working pit crew for the 25 hour endurance race that's going on at Thunderhill on November 30th - December 1st. I'm excited to be a part of a 16 person team who are helping drive an E46 home. Last year they got 3rd in their class (E1).

-TC

·
Registered
'00 RS / V5 STI
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #112 (Edited)
I've been working on a side project, too. A drift-kart.

It still needs a hyrdro e-brake and a 3 pedal box, but it does get sideways.

I've also made a new friend - Gary. He's going to help keep us safe.

More to come.

-TC

·
Registered
'00 RS / V5 STI
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #113 (Edited)
For the 25 hours of Thunderhill, we won first for the E1 run group and 10th overall. Some highlights:

- ~225gal of gas consumed
- 22 tires (toyo proxy RR)
- 681 laps completed
- Only won by 2 laps
- Clean driving the entire race - no rubbing, bumping, etc.
- No penalties the whole race (big deal considering we had 20 crew members and 5 drivers). Even 1 drop of spilled gas will cost you a 5 minute penalty
- Average pit stop was 1:30 and included (1) tire and (10) gallons of gas being dumped in

So that was fun. It was also interesting going to bed at 3am to cars driving at full speed around a track, and then waking up at 6am to the same sounds. Quite the experience!

The next weekend I took the E82 (135i) out to the same track to see how I manage. My lines are getting better, and the E82 was a beast - I passed everything from 911s to a Lamborghini (crap driver), to decked out Caymans. I ultimately found my rabbit in a Cayman S and a Shelby GT350, both with solid drivers.

I will say that the stupid traction control on the E82 sucks major ass. You have 3 options - full on, half on, and full off. Full on and half on will overheat your brakes in less than 3 laps. This resulted in my going off at 5 as I just couldn't slow enough for the crows nest. Once you go full off, you have a traction issue as there's no limited slip diff, which caused me to go off at 6 once the tail started to break free. I eventually found the sweet spot with traction control off, but for the majority of the day I was fighting the car.

This marks the first year that I've gone to the track, and have taken every vehicle I own to it, too. I finally accomplished one of my primary goals!

Next up is back to focusing on the Subaru, though I need to give my girlfriend's 09 hatchback some love first. A shop we had rotate the tires due to lack of time used an impact driver to set the lug nuts, cross threading one in the process. Guess I get to remove a hub and fix it over my winter shutdown. Yippee....

-TC

·
Registered
Miatamiatamiata
2,707 Posts
Next up is back to focusing on the Subaru, though I need to give my girlfriend's 09 hatchback some love first. A shop was had rotate the tires due to lack of time used an impact driver to set the lug nuts, cross threading one in the process. Guess I get to remove a hub and fix it over my winter shutdown. Yippee....

-TC
I have had it happen so many times, I don't see the point of discussing it with anyone anymore, and insist that they don't tighten them at all and let me do it myself.

·
Registered
sold it to Susie the Subie
3,233 Posts
incredible and well done. Your attempts to create a smog legal (CA smog at that!) warrant a nobel peace prize of the car world. If I ever cross your path, I'm buying you a beer. CHEERS!

·
Registered
'00 RS / V5 STI
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #116
I have had it happen so many times, I don't see the point of discussing it with anyone anymore, and insist that they don't tighten them at all and let me do it myself.

Ended up hammering them out and using a lug nut to set the new studs - I didn't remove the hub or even e-brake shoes. It was actually way simpler than I originally expected. Now I'm tempted to swap them all out on the RSTI...

-TC

·
Registered
'00 RS / V5 STI
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #117
Finally snagged a stock RS driver seat to rip apart and pull the seat rails. It only took 8.5 months... It's really nice to finally get the correct seats installed!

You'll notice that the JDM seat base sits about an inch higher than the stock RS seat base. You'll also notice that the RS is, indeed, a "gen 1" as I would call them, utilizing (1) mount on the non-reclining side. This is a good thing.

A bad thing though is that I forgot the stock RS driver seat doesn't allow for butt-height adjustment. Guess I'll have to keep my eyes open for a 2002 WRX driver seat as this should be included. I really care about my butt-height.

I'm also continuing to work on the drift-kart. It's getting quite a bit better! Just a shame that my roommate slid the rear end into a curb, breaking a wheel and bending the solid rear axle. Nothing we can't fix, and it's high time we cut and re-weld the frame for more length, so this was more of a blessing in disguise.

-TC

·
Registered
'00 RS / V5 STI
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #119 (Edited)
Dude you should have told me you were looking for stock RS seats. My two sets are still sitting at the shop...
Well I want your passenger side, since mine has a cut mount, but I kind of want a JDM driver base more for it so it retains butt-height adjustment... I may just weld up a mount and call it good.

For the driver I'm looking at 2002/2003 USDM WRX seats since the driver side chair retains all butt-height adjustment.

Also, looks like my starter is starting to fail - it's seizing up in the cold until I turn the motor over a bit. It came from the V5 shell, so I'm not too surprised.

-TC

·
Registered
'00 RS / V5 STI
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #120 (Edited)
Ever since the trackday my center diff has been making more noise than usual. Grinds pretty bad entering a driveway when one wheel is lifted in the front. Same grind going downhill and decelerating.

I'm not surprised, it's been noisy since I put it in. Now I'm toying with picking up a JDM Forester 4.44 trans. I think the 5th gear is a tad taller than the V5.

-TC

101 - 120 of 131 Posts