Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

41 - 60 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
'00 RS / V5 STI
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Well, a couple things have changed.

Due to the stock injectors giving me problems (leaking/hard-as-a-rock o-rings, and I believe one or two are clogged leading to a some cylinders being rich and others lean) I've gone ahead and installed:

- ID 725cc injectors
- VF28 out of the V5 clip
- Koyo radiator with WRX fans
- Retrofitted GR TMIC

From there I took it to Mann Engineering who had Bill come out from Delicious Tuning (skywalker on here) to tune it.

On an ECUTEK dyno I'm making 232hp and 210tq. According to Bill and Gary from Mann, that's about 20hp less than a comparable (2004/2005 non-AVCS) STI. That means I'm making 92% of the power of an STI with only 80% of the displacement, not bad.

I am seeing the turbo take a while to come on full boost and it sounds like that's caused by the stock USDM up pipe and down pipe. I'll be swapping those out for the JDM counterparts hopefully within 6 months, I just need a break for a little bit to focus on other projects.

-TC

Side note: The ebay special front strut bar doesn't really clear the GR TMIC - it rattles when at the right RPM. I've removed it and will be buying a GC8 carbon front strut bar as it looks like it'll clear much better.

·
Registered
99'RS w/EJ205, 16'340i 13'Volt
973 Posts
yes, i had a hell of time trying to make power with the stock downpipe a while back. lots of lag just like you off my TD04-19T

·
Registered
'00 RS / V5 STI
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
yes, i had a hell of time trying to make power with the stock downpipe a while back. lots of lag just like you off my TD04-19T
Haha, glad I'm not alone.

I'm hoping the JDM up pipe and down pipe will fly under-the-radar for most no name smog shops. As I've done more research and have decided where I want it to be, I'm really hoping to make as much power as possible without having to revert anything every 2 years. Think a high powered stock engine that doesn't need any attention for the visual inspection.

Good thing the JDM up pipe and down pipe never sold! Somewhere down the road I'll probably build a 2.5l short block and throw some JDM 2.0 heads on it with JE pistons that match just to get a quicker spool and more flow. Sounds like a no-brainer.

First though, suspension.

-TC

·
Registered
Miatamiatamiata
2,707 Posts
Haha, glad I'm not alone.

I'm hoping the JDM up pipe and down pipe will fly under-the-radar for most no name smog shops. As I've done more research and have decided where I want it to be, I'm really hoping to make as much power as possible without having to revert anything every 2 years. Think a high powered stock engine that doesn't need any attention for the visual inspection.

Good thing the JDM up pipe and down pipe never sold! Somewhere down the road I'll probably build a 2.5l short block and throw some JDM 2.0 heads on it with JE pistons that match just to get a quicker spool and more flow. Sounds like a no-brainer.

First though, suspension.

-TC
As long as the Rex computer doesn't make a fuss you should be golden.
Is it that cramped with the turbo gubbins that it's not worth disassembly biyearly?

·
Premium Member
96 Impreza Coupe
1,587 Posts
The average smog tech wont even see a aftermarket uppipe. They will check the down pipe and cat though. its really not difficult to swap a down pipe every two years. Besides use it as an opportunity to inspect the turbo for shaft play/leaks.

This assumes you have a place to work on the car.

Oh and congrats on the BAR Sticker! This makes the car worth way more if you ever intend to sell it.

·
Registered
'00 RS / V5 STI
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #52 (Edited)
As long as the Rex computer doesn't make a fuss you should be golden.
Is it that cramped with the turbo gubbins that it's not worth disassembly biyearly?
Honestly, I'm getting old. The thought of replacing all that stuff every 2 years, just to smog, then reverting, sounds really lame. Might as well do the work now to make it where I never have to think about it again.

The average smog tech wont even see a aftermarket uppipe. They will check the down pipe and cat though. its really not difficult to swap a down pipe every two years. Besides use it as an opportunity to inspect the turbo for shaft play/leaks.

This assumes you have a place to work on the car.

Oh and congrats on the BAR Sticker! This makes the car worth way more if you ever intend to sell it.
Probably not, but I'd rather do it right. JDM down pipe and exhaust might squeak me by, so it's worth a shot.

Thanks! The thought of selling it makes me sick though. Far too much has gone into making this car to ever consider selling it. Almost 7 years in and it's only just now getting to the (really) fun part!

-TC

·
Registered
'00 RS / V5 STI
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #54 (Edited)
Been a lull of work as I moved cities and had to deconstruct and reconfigure my garage. Good news is I should be able to finish even more projects - the garage is in a better configuration and I'm now living with a long-time friend who races E46s and hand built his E21.

I bought some old school OMORI gauges which were shipped to me terrible - the boost needle fell off, an oil pressure gauge was half falling apart, all but two of the bulbs had died... basically unusable in the condition they were sent in.

So I decided to tear them apart, recalibrate the boost gauge (using CO2 I use for brewing beer), and replace all of the burnt out bulbs with LEDs.

Originally I was going to stuff them in the factory hood for the compass pack, but it would require cutting it to fit the gauge bezels. Not really a problem, but after some research I decided I *also* want the factory compass pack.

Conveniently replaced the long standing broken middle vents while I was at it.

Next up will be re-doing the exhaust for better flow:
  • Up Pipe (non-catted)
  • JDM Downpipe (one cat)
  • JDM Midpipe and muffler
Since I'll be in there, I need to address:
  • All 4 coil packs (maintenance, they work fine)
  • Passenger side valve cover gasket seeping leak
  • Rear differential (not sitting flush and is grinding under decel)
After that will be suspension, interior, and paint (finally). But, that's all a ways off.

-TC

·
Registered
'00 RS / V5 STI
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Sweet!

I got that up-pipe from WhiteScooby - thanks bud!

... And then I went full boost with low fuel and killed my fuel pump. Aeromotive pump inbound.:lol:

-TC

41 - 60 of 131 Posts