·
Registered
'00 RS / V5 STI
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
Well, I'm mostly done.

- Engine is in
- Wiring is in

But naturally I ran into a few snags which have slowed me down. I chose to install a 2013 WRX brake booster and master cylinder, to replace the 222k mi stock mushy booster and master. Everything lines up, but the new master cylinder uses a M12-1.0 (1/4" ID) brake line fitting - ours are M10-1.0 (3/16" ID) brake line fittings. There are converters out there, but few are easy to come by with an inverted flare fitting. I've got an idea in the works.

The new A/C condenser's inlet and outlet hit the JDM radiator, and aren't much better with the ebay special 2-row I've been running. I'll likely need to buy a stock radiator, or do some research as to how aftermarket ones work with the condenser.

The JDM STI V5 A/C pump uses different hard line fittings than the RS, and has a different pinout and plug. This wouldn't be an issue, but my harness came back with an RS plug, so I might as well keep it clean. Gotta order a RS pump.

The expansion valve I ordered from Rock Auto won't work. It doesn't have the indents for the screw heads to sit inside of, nor is it thick enough (off by ~8mm).

Looks like there's also a change to the midpipe heat shield on the WRX.

Finally, getting the bellhousings together was one of the most convoluted, stupid processes that I've endured. Since I left the downpipe on, I had to remove the passenger front axle to get enough room the come down. The head shield for the turbo and first cat caught and got stuck on the transmission axle stub and bellhousing causing the input shaft to go wonky and get off centered. It took me 6 hours to get the engine and trans mated and 100%...

From here I'll be knocking out these issues ASAP in an effort to get up and driving in <2 weeks. Really the main issue will be shipping.

-TC

·
Registered
'00 RS / V5 STI
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I'm pretty sure I got an RS AC compressor on the shelf I won't be using.
Since my goal is absolute perfect A/C (I've never had working A/C in this car over my 6 years of ownership), I've gone ahead and ordered a new compressor.

Thanks though - we will see how a reman unit holds up.

-TC

·
Registered
2001 Black RS Coupe
57 Posts
Niceeee. Doing some serious work. Surprised to see a fellow spartan, but I guess I've seen a few RS in the garage. Haha

·
Registered
'00 RS / V5 STI
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #26

She starts!

Still have CELs to sort out, brakes to fix, fluids to bleed, and general tidying up.

-TC

·
Registered
'00 RS / V5 STI
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
Since my last post I've:
- Resolved 5 CELs
- Resolved an issue with the new A/C Compressor (had to grind down a portion of the injector/fuel rail cover)
- Re-installed an axle, which proved more difficult then it should have been
- Resolved a couple oil leaks (turbo)
- Replaced a couple of crushable gaskets (turbo)
- Replaced a missing heat shield mount
- Installed new turbo upper and lower heat shields
- Installed radiator fans and verified wiring
- Re-assembled interior
- Verified proper wiring for audio
- Bled brakes
- Bled clutch
- Resolved brake issue (larger master cylinder on car with smaller hard lines. Write up is here)
- Re-assembled engine bay for the most part

Once again the motor runs, but it's in limp mode due to a P1507 error. Since the IACV was pretty gnarly, I've ordered another.

So there's some final buttoning up, an oil change (I'm doing multiple flushes to remove any debris), and generally topping it off and adjusting things, but I should be <5 hours from being able to drive her.

Total to date:

- The motor has now cost me $8300. This included the full build, all new rubber, and basically making it as close to a 0 mile motor as possible (with the exception of redoing rings and honing the cylinders. Everything else has been done)

- The motor also took me between 90-100 hours to take apart and rebuild

- The motor installation into the RS has taken (to date) 94 hours. It'll likely round off at 100 (edit: it does) when all is said and done

I'll keep you all posted.

-TC

·
Registered
'00 RS / V5 STI
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
We're done!

Well, all the big stuff is handled and I have driven about 3 miles. Still some small things to wrap up, but the eternity on jack stands is over.

-TC

·
Registered
'00 RS / V5 STI
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
1000cc seems like a lot of injector for a vf28.
I want headroom and injectors not running at full capacity. Eventually I'll be going twinscroll and probably build a V7-V9 long block with AVCS. I'd rather not buy injectors twice...

-TC

·
Registered
'00 RS / V5 STI
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #33 (Edited)
Ironed out some kinks and got it ready for the CA BAR. Already had 2 oil changes, and I'm getting the A/C recharged tomorrow at a local dealership.

Should be able to get it through the BAR in the next couple weeks.

-TC

·
Registered
'00 RS / V5 STI
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
A/C has been recharged and is blowing nice and cold. Also fixed some leaky valve covers and am no longer burning oil. All signs are looking good.

Just to prove that she does move, here's a picture from today after I got to work.

I have an appointment scheduled with the state referee on Wednesday, Jan 25

-TC

·
Registered
01 white GF
2,337 Posts
I was thinking of getting 1000cc for my 207 with vf28 too. Save myself from buying different injectors later when I want more than what the stock long block and turbo can give me

·
Premium Member
2001 SRP 2.5RS/RA/SOHC Monster
2,795 Posts
Injectors are cheap and hold their value fairly well. I have a 2.5 liter with heads that outflow the best Subaru offerings and a 71HTA and I shouldn't need 1000cc units unless I end up finding e85. You're gonna be running a super low duty cycle at idle with 1000cc.

·
Registered
The subaru of many acronyms
1,918 Posts
Yeah they're definitely not needed for pump gas stock turbo. 850s or so are all youll want for pump gas. 1000s aren't bad at idle though, 1200+ is when they start to get finicky.

·
Registered
99'RS w/EJ205, 16'340i 13'Volt
973 Posts
Good luck on the BAR inspection. dont try and trick them, they know all the tricks and workarounds. I almost failed my inspection because of my boost gauge signal was tapped into the fuel regulator vacuum hose. they let it slide because it was the only issue they found.

I'm running ID1000s on a 255whp TD04 19T EJ205 and the duty cycles are in the high 50s. Its not that low of a duty cycle as people make it seem.

·
Registered
'00 RS / V5 STI
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #39 (Edited)
What do you do when you finally finish building your motor?

You drive it on a 500 mile road trip up to the snow with no tools, oil, or spare parts.

Oh yeah, and it was in the middle of a snowstorm. The next morning I woke up to this.

Then 2 days later I got this on my first try.

-TC

21 - 40 of 131 Posts