Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

41 - 60 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
17 Chevy Cruze
2,565 Posts
ugh.... i just remembered i should of done this before i yanked my building motor....

·
Registered
2001 Impreza 2.5rs coupe
404 Posts
Thanks for the info. Just another point of view for those with light weight crank pullies. I picked up a husky rubber strap wrench from Home depot. One guy holds the strap wrench and the other turns the torque wrench. Both have to have a lil bit of muscle but it works without damaging the pulley even if you dont have a stock pulley like OP.

·
Premium Member
Drag 00 Impreza 2.5 RSTI
1,523 Posts
Has anyone on here really snapped the bolt in half by doing the starter bump method? I know it is possible, I just want to see who it has happened to. At this point, it might be my last hope.

·
Registered
2001 Impreza 2.5rs coupe
404 Posts
then starter bump it. the subaru is sooooo powerfull that the starter alone has 26000ft/lbs of torque.

·
Banned
'04 RS PBP w/ Black Tarmacs
1,805 Posts
Well now that we have a problem... i borrowed a 3/4 inch drive impact gun (1200ftlbs) from Monroe and it still won't come off..... great i am shit out of luck
I'm just trying to get a feel for the situation and this may be a stupid question but is the compressor your using big enough for a 3/4" impact wrench?

1200 ft/lbs is almost 10 times the recommended torque setting for the bolt. Even torquing to 300 or 400 ft/lbs requires a ridiculously long handle on the wrench or a torque multiplier on most cases. It can't be that tight.

·
Premium Member
Drag 00 Impreza 2.5 RSTI
1,523 Posts
Its a 26 gallon craftsman 160psi max air compressor. It is recommended for light use with a 3/4" impact gun.
Should be enough, no?

I'm just trying to get a feel for the situation and this may be a stupid question but is the compressor your using big enough for a 3/4" impact wrench?

1200 ft/lbs is almost 10 times the recommended torque setting for the bolt. Even torquing to 300 or 400 ft/lbs requires a ridiculously long handle on the wrench or a torque multiplier on most cases. It can't be that tight.

·
Registered
98 Impreza 3.4L Turbo
3,294 Posts
Well now that we have a problem... i borrowed a 3/4 inch drive impact gun (1200ftlbs) from Monroe and it still won't come off..... great i am shit out of luck
I'd bet money it's cross threaded.

·
Registered
Miatamiatamiata
2,707 Posts
finger it in all the way?

if not and the socket was at an angle, it could be cross threaded.

this is a perfect example of why you shouldn't use an impact gun when torquing parts down, over torquing is a bitch.

·
Banned
1,805 Posts
Well it sounds like the compressor is adequate...

The only other thing I can think to do is apply heat, but that is not without it's own pitfalls. Heating up the bolt could transfer heat to the crankshaft possibly harming the front seal and of course the timing belt would most certainly have to be removed as well.

The thing is even if you over-torqued it with a 1/2 impact wrench I would think the 3/4 wrench should still pull it off.

Even without re-coating the threads with motor oil before re-installing the bolt I would also there was enough residual oil to prevent the bolt from seizing. Odd.

Was there rust on the bolt or pulley last time the bolt was removed?

·
Premium Member
Drag 00 Impreza 2.5 RSTI
1,523 Posts
The bolt was brand new from Subaru. The Shortblock had 0 miles from Ron over at axis performance. This thing is a head scratcher.

Well it sounds like the compressor is adequate...

The only other thing I can think to do is apply heat, but that is not without it's own pitfalls. Heating up the bolt could transfer heat to the crankshaft possibly harming the front seal and of course the timing belt would most certainly have to be removed as well.

The thing is even if you over-torqued it with a 1/2 impact wrench I would think the 3/4 wrench should still pull it off.

Even without re-coating the threads with motor oil before re-installing the bolt I would also there was enough residual oil to prevent the bolt from seizing. Odd.

Was there rust on the bolt or pulley last time the bolt was removed?

·
Banned
1,805 Posts
The bolt was brand new from Subaru. The Shortblock had 0 miles from Ron over at axis performance. This thing is a head scrarcher.
Oh so no residual oil then? That could be the problem. It says explicitly in my FSM to oil the threads before installing the bolt. Subaru must have it's reason's for that.

... but yea a head scratcher for sure.

·
Registered
2001 Impreza 2.5rs coupe
404 Posts
If you dont mind changing the timing belt head that sucker up. just keep the heat focused only on the bolt then quench and hit it with that 3/4" impact gun again. I had a similar problem with a honda that needed a timing belt so it wasnt a problem and the motor turned the wrong way to starter bump. Gave it some heat...qunched it and hit it with and impact and it came right out. Maybe not the best thing for the motor but it does the job.

·
Banned
1,805 Posts
I'm glad you got it off... don't forget the oil on the threads too.

·
Registered
1999,impreza
49 Posts
This method doesn't work if you don't have a stock crank pulley.

The easiest way I know and am comfortable doing it is by sticking a medium screwdriver in the HOLE PROVIDED in the trans bellhousing. It's right below the dowel pins.
1. Insert screwdriver
2. 22mm socket on long breaker bar
2a. Wiggle crank to ensure screwdriver has engaged the ring gear on the flywheel
3. Pull from the passenger side gently until screwdriver has positively locked the motor still.
4. loosen crank bolt.
Picture of That ?

41 - 60 of 84 Posts