Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:curse: I am searching for the best way to turbocharge my 2.5RS. I've been looking around and have found kits made by Ludespeed and Forced Air Techonologies. Also I've seen a couple people make "homemade" turbos from WRX parts and parts from some other cars(Saab 900 IC). Anyways, I was wondering which setup all of yall have used, the cost, what you think about it, or just which setup you think is better.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
well, from what i have read, the Vishnu kit (Tec-II) is probably the best for big power, but its very expensive and requires quite a bit of work on your part to tune it properly. if you don't want to mess with fuel and ignition maps, this is probably not the best choice. the Ludespeed kit is really nice for the money. you can make about as much power as i would with the stock enternals with the Stage II/III. its pretty easy to install, and its a true bolt on, so its all piggyback computers instead of programable engine mangegment like the Tec-II. the cheapest way to do it is to build your own, but that requires a fair amount of know-how and technical ability, plus the time to make the stuff, and then remake it when it doesn't work.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm deciding between a Ludespeed Stage II or a Forced Air Tech Stage II. The Forced Air Tech comes with three gauges and does not require the engine to be lifted - which accounts for a lot if you plan on installing this on your own. The Ludespeed, I've heard a lot of good things about and it a bit cheaper. If I find a shop to install turbos for a decent price then I will go with the Ludespeed. If I plan on installing this on my own, convenience is a price that I will pay for.
Overall, the cost is probably going to run me abouts $4,000 including a new clutch.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
that's just the way post counts are indicated on this board, it has nothing to do with anything. if you look in the General Forum, i believe there is a thread about what all the different "engine sizes" indicate.

·
Registered
470 Posts
nicolodav - It also depends on what level of boost you want to run. What do you want it to do??? High boost??? Low boost???

I'm going to be going the low boost route with a WRX turbo, downpipe and hopefully TMIC. It should boost ~ 5/6 psi (I think) and should be fine with minimal engine management.

I just want something that'll open the eyes of WRX newbies. :D

I'm waiting to see what a friend does on his RS and if it works out the way we think it will, I'm gonna follow his lead.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Tom has a group buy going on his turb kits.
I have his kit and it's reliable.

For big power gains, I'm pretty happy with the ludespeed stage II. At 6.6 psi, it's pretty damn fast. You could always add a Linkplus to the kit like I did when you want more control of your engine. It's not as complex as the tec II but after a while when you get the hang of it it runs pretty good.

Save yourself the money and get other things like gauges so you can monitor what's going on.

Good Luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts