Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was wondering what the best (in your opinion) turbo kit is that is totally complete. I want decent power, nothing crazy like 400hp but around mid 200's and a kit that has everything i need to bolt right on. Which kits are these? is the pdm one good? i hear its not totally complete so what kits are good? I was also wondering if i needed any sort of fuel management and guages and which kits come with these? any information would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I personally think that the best kits there are, are the ones that use factory Subaru parts. These parts are made for reliability and won't have stupid welding flaws that deteriorate over time.

Graham

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i was looking at the forced air technologies turbo kit and it seems pretty good because it comes with gauges and all. I was curious if this is a good kit and if i need anything else other then the $350 exhaust they sell. Do i need a boost controller? and what kind of power does it give? I was thinking either this one, the pdm turbo kit or the avo. what do you guys think?

·
Registered
2001 2.5rs-T
391 Posts
Graham said:
I personally think that the best kits there are, are the ones that use factory Subaru parts. These parts are made for reliability and won't have stupid welding flaws that deteriorate over time.

Graham
Amen.

My turbo once snapped off my up-pipe when I was trying to boost 12psi. Genuine Subaru Parts Rule all the way.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Might I ask how in the hell your turbo snapped off of your uppipe?

I don't think I have ever heard of such a thing...amazing.

Graham

·
Registered
36 Posts
yeah that kinda sounds weird to me. How could an uppipe snap off from the turbo? The pipe isnt moving or anything the exhaust gas just travels through it. Also the heat couldnt even make the metal warp that bad so it snaps off. Sounds like a bad bolt or something to me.

Silver 2K RS Coupe
1,864 Posts
dougprit said:
i was looking at the forced air technologies turbo kit and it seems pretty good because it comes with gauges and all. I was curious if this is a good kit and if i need anything else other then the $350 exhaust they sell. Do i need a boost controller? and what kind of power does it give? I was thinking either this one, the pdm turbo kit or the avo. what do you guys think?
I saw Rob's twin ball bearing turbo set up on his Sport at SEMA and it was pretty sick. He was doing donuts on the Palace Station parking structure, and all I can say is it's got QUICK spool and HARD punch. Real quick. I think his plumbing layout was half-baked, but the kit worked great!
Wroom, PSChhh! Yroom, PSChhh! :)

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
The AVO kit is the best if you have the cash if you want to save some bread get the PDM kit. If you have time and patience you can piece a kit together from WRX guys that upgrade to hang with the RS-T guys.

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.5RS
64 Posts
WRX turbo parts

How do I start and who do I get in touch with if I want to make turbo kit out of WRX parts?

Thanks
Jim

·
Premium Member
Two Mini Coopers!
10,629 Posts
Re: WRX turbo parts

SubieFL said:
How do I start and who do I get in touch with if I want to make turbo kit out of WRX parts?

Thanks
Jim
Jim, I originally emabrked on doing this, and the results of my research are listed on the links on the www.rs25.com homepage. Turbo Kit or something like that. You can review the parts in the Excel spreadsheet I made, and as I recall the only thing left out was the turbo oil lines (to and from) which could be easily sourced.

However, with pre-built kits you probably will get better results, and a warranty, so that is why I stopped researching mine.

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.5RS
64 Posts
Thank you. THe main reason I was considering piecing parts together is because everyone says that the best turbo kits are the subaru factory parts so I would consider WRX parts. THe only prebuilt kits I could afford are the cheaper ones and I don't know how their welds and strength is.
I also am better at buying a few things at a time because I have trouble saving to one big chuink of change.

Jim

·
Registered
2001 2.5rs-T
391 Posts
wcbjr said:
I bet the flange broke off the uppipe.
Ding Ding Ding your right. My turbo seized up on the input shaft and just built up heat and pressure and snapped off the flanges. Pretty bad experience. Car was leaking oil everywhere. Now I'm on set up number #2! The old turbo also crack on the exhaust side so it can't really be salvaged.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Look at www.SubaruPlanet.com/turbosale.htm

This is a great kit, and I sold my JCSports kit and went with one of the $3349 stage 2 kits with some of the optional upgrades:

(1) AWIC $750 extra,
(2) VF22 $250 extra, and
(3) 3" catless twin dump downpipe $250 extra,
(4) 3" Brullen catback $659

With my ITC & extra fuel injectors this was enough power to smoke my ACT clutch and the Exedy replacement at just 14 psi! (like 11psi sea-level, approx 375hp/400ftlb).

Larry

R

·
0 Posts
Sounds like AVO is best COMPLETE kit if you want mild level turbo. The AVO has full stand alone Link ecu that the others do not offer at that pricing level. Comes with mfg limited lifetime warranty againt defects. Turbo kits are not the place to save$$$.
You might call Larry Ganz(subaruplanet) for radical build up
sean
Rallitek Performance
[http://www.rallitek.com]

·
Registered
01 Impreza 2.5 RS coupe SRP
421 Posts
Daym. If I was confused before, I'm even more confused now. :curse: Which one is really good? I wanted the Forced Airtech, then came the AVO kit. Which is which?

1 - 20 of 76 Posts