Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for one of my first steps in my LONG road of improvments with my car.

What do you think is the best one to go for? i have seen them range from $10 to $200. I am not worried about spending money, i just want the best one.

Help a noob?

·
Registered
12,196 Posts
www.ebay.com

A cold air intake is basically just a 3" metal tube... The difference in price is the little sticker on it that says "AEM" or whatever, and the paint or lackthereof. Get yourself a Ganzflow or an ebay brand, both are good.

·
Registered
Steel Grey WRX Limited
3,043 Posts
the best IMHO is the gravel sport intake. since that's no longer available the Cobb would be the way to go.

·
Registered
2000 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS and
438 Posts
Yeah, sadly both Gravel Sport and Cobb stop making intake. I think, Cobb make intake for Turbo ver., but not N/A ver.

·
Registered
2.5RS Rally Car
2,066 Posts
Ganzflow + K&N drop in ftw.

You don't gain much with an intake on a 00 RS either way... it will be barely noticeable if at all.

The main problem I have with eBay intakes is the crappy filters and crap (such as metal shavings) inside the pipes.

·
13 Years of RS
2005 Toyota Corolla :(
5,532 Posts
I had a Ganz on my car originally, then switched to a Weapon R Secret Weapon short ram. According to datalogging, the Secret Weapon SRI got more air into the engine than the Ganz CAI. And as for temp differences, there is very little difference in the temp between inside the fender and under the hood when the car is moving, I did some tests on that, I think it was a 3 degree difference between the two.

·
Registered
2.5RS Rally Car
2,066 Posts
The main reason I like the Ganz is because it keeps the stock airbox, which is good for both low-end torque and keeping your stock engine clean via the stock filtration system.

·
OG GC
MY00 BRP RS...still adding to
4,471 Posts
I've been running my Ganzflow with a Purolator Air filter in the stock box for the past 3 years...no problem whatsoever. :D

·
Registered
'00 2.5RS Coupe AW
315 Posts
For those running Ganzflow/PDM, did you remove the vent from the front bumper (next to the fog light) to let sufficient air into the wheel well?

·
OG GC
MY00 BRP RS...still adding to
4,471 Posts
For those running Ganzflow/PDM, did you remove the vent from the front bumper (next to the fog light) to let sufficient air into the wheel well?
Nope. Only thing I did to my vents were paint them black!! There's an extra 10 ponies with the color change! ;)

·
JBCUSTOMS
2001 Impreza 2.5RS STM
2,486 Posts
I really liked my cobb intake... Try to find one used and just clean the filter with the K&N cleaning kit!

·
Registered
95 GC 371hp/355tq ej25 1.5xtr
4,494 Posts
i have the IM spacers and TB spacer. and the stock air box started to get in the way of the strut bar. not to mention how much i had to stretch the vac hoses. if your going to get the IM/TB spacers just get a OBX ebay intake with a good filter. you will get the low end from the spacers.

·
Registered
2.5RS Rally Car
2,066 Posts
Question.. if you do something like rally or rallyX ... is a SRI really a better idea?
I do rallyX regularly. With most courses you won't really be going through standing water or anything, and as long as you still have your fender liners you won't be picking up that much more dirt either.

The Ganz setup as well as most CAIs don't go into the fender deep enough to easily suck up water anyway. As stated in other threads, you will have to really submerge your car (1.5 - 2 feet) to get water in there...

1 - 20 of 51 Posts