Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 216 Posts

·
Registered
2001 2.5 RS
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone, and welcome to my Subaru's build thread!

Back story: I've always been a fan of Subarus, in part due to the stigma the STi received in Initial D, in part due to how badass they look, and in part how the Subaru community is very friendly and eager to help. After driving 4 other cars since my license, I ended up selling my most recent car, and finally picked up a 2001 RS from a local here in San Antonio. The mechanical aspects were my biggest concerns, because I didn't want to buy a car that will run down soon after buying it. The engine is an EJ251 swap (not sure what happened to the stock EJ251) with 80,000 miles on it. Not much was modded on it and it is a relatively unmolested vehicle. The previous owner stripped the back door panels, carpet, and the deck trim to shed some weight, along with rattle canning the hood and trunk. I have plans to make this GC a very clean build all around, mechanically and cosmetically. This will probably take a while since I'm in college, but who's in any rush?
TL;DR - I got a GC and now I'm going to build it.

When I bought it:

How it sits currently:

Mod list:
Engine:
Borla replica headers
Stromung Single Tip exhaust
Stromung Intermediate pipe
Perrin Crankshaft Pulley
Grimmspeed battery tie down
Kartboy pitch stop mount
Group N motor mounts

Exterior:
Depo black headlights
Gorilla mud flaps
Grimmspeed Antenna Delete Plate
Amber corners
Gunmetal Grey plasti dip
Rally Tech adjustable front license plate bracket
Bakemono S201 hood scoop [carbon fiber]
Bakemono Version VI front lip [fiberglass]
Replica Version VI STi wing [fiberglass]
Vent induction scoop [carbon fiber]
JDM Tail lights
Hella Horns

Drivetrain:
Group N transmission mount
Exedy “Stage 1” Organic Clutch
Subaru OEM flywheel
Turn In Concepts crossmember bushings
Kartboy front shifter stay bushing
Kartboy rear shifter stay bushing
Turn In Concepts 5mt linkage update
Kartboy short throw shifter
Brembo blank rotors
Akebono Pro ACT brake pads
Version 7 STi wheels in Gold (5x100, 17x7.5", +53, 17.5 lbs)
Bridgestone Potenza RE-11A (235/45R17 113W BLT)
Enkei RPF1 in Silver (5x100, 17x7", +45, 15 lbs, autox set)
Hankook RS3V2 (245/40R17)

Suspension:
ISC N1 coilovers
Fuji Heavy front strut tower bar [Carbon Fiber]
Cusco rear strut tower bar [aluminum?]
Whiteline 22mm adjustable rear sway bar

Interior:
LED cluster lights [cool white]
2007 STI shift knob
Version V STi front seats
Version IV WRX rear door cards
2015 WRX all-weather floor mats
DAMD D shaped steering wheel with red stitching
2006 WRX airbag

Extras:
Arai RX-Q helmet in Oriental Matte Blue [Carbon Kevlar, DOT and SA2015 approved]

Purchased and Waiting to be Installed:
None

Maintenance:
Replaced center dash cubby/vents on 11/30/2013
Replaced both rear bearings on 6.02.2014
Replaced factory brakes with Brembo/Akebono brake setup on 6.02.2014
Replaced factory suspension with ISC N1 coilovers on 1.24.2015
Replaced clutch, flywheel, and drivetrain extras on 1.30.2016

Attachments

·
OG GC
OG 01 STM 2.5 RS
1,506 Posts
Welcome, nice to have another GC in Texas. There's some good looking and well built cars here, so don't be afraid to ask questions.

·
Registered
2001 2.5 RS
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Installed Spark H3 yellow fog light bulbs and Spark H4 blue headlight bulbs last night and they look good. Obtained from Subyfan98. I have a Rack and Pinion I'm waiting to arrive from Spatizzle. Probably won't be installing till later this month, as I'll be in Colorado on vacation for most of the month

·
Registered
2001 2.5 RS
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Just got new tires today.
I went with the Yokohama YK580 as per recommendation from my buddy at Discount Tire. 205/55R16 91H BW for now until I get different wheels. They drove good on the way home, but time will tell their true value

·
Registered
2001 2.5 RS
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I ran into a bit of an airhead issue. My passenger window was slow so I finally decided to take off the door panel and inspect. Didn't have the interwebs handy to refer to any posts here, and I didn't know what to look for, so I put it back on. My passenger window won't roll up, only down now.....

Turns out after much deliberating with this window, I realized it was a bent pin in the connector. I straightened the pin and it was back up and running. While I was at it, I ended up fixing the slow window (adjusted the window pads), got both my back windows operational again (previous owner just removed the switches, not knowing it would render the windows unable to roll down), and fixed a irregular up and down on the driver's side window.

All in all, I feel like I accomplished something. Plus, I washed it today. Long overdue! Next up is putting the new Rack & Pinion in and plasti dipping the hood and maybe the roof to cover up previous owners' dumb spray paint decisions.

·
Registered
2001 2.5 RS
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So I just ordered a 45 degree silicone hose coupler to replicate Odycee's top mounted torque box that utilizes the air fed through the hood scoop. Trying to get that and my rack & pinion in before the Big Event 5 at Gillman Subaru in Houston in October. We'll see how that works out

·
Registered
Wannabe JDM GF4
1,719 Posts
Looking good man!!!

Did adjusting the window pads help with the speed? i hate how my passenger side rolls up so much slower then my drivers :/

·
Registered
2001 2.5 RS
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Okay so I finally got the coupler in for it, and converted the stock Torque Box to a top mount intake so I can utilize the hood scoop. Odycee gave me the idea and some examples, so I went for it. Loving it so far, and I can feel the difference in higher RPM torque.

1 - 20 of 216 Posts