Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didnt know where to post so I posted here. Well, I am about to buy a car from Texas and bring it to California, a 2001 2.5 RS-T, it has a turbo on it and I just need to know what questions I need to ask the owner of the car to see if the car will pass California smog?

Even if its just a guess it might help, or if someone can redirect me to a website or something that can help me answer this question.

Thanks,
Sandman

·
Registered
52 Posts
sorry dude but i think you have to either have it converted back or pay off the smog dude.

But you might need to look into this some more because you might have to get a state ref to look at the car because it's an out of state vehicle.

Just some things to consider.

·
Premium Member
Two Mini Coopers!
10,629 Posts
You absolutely will not pass California smog with a turbo car. The Texas car is no prob, the turbo is. You will need to have a CARB EO number to pass smog with it installed. I lived in CA for my whole life, don't even bother trying basically.

Sorry for the bad news. :(

·
Registered
'00 2.5 RS
233 Posts
Bummer. So what are all of the aftermarket FI cars in CA doing? Removing all non-CARB parts before the inspection? Paying off the smog guys? Going to smog guys who don't know what they are doing?

It seems so ridiculous to me... a huge Expedition can pass smog, and a FI RS can't despite the fact that (I'd guess) the RS is putting out much less garbage into the air.

·
Premium Member
Two Mini Coopers!
10,629 Posts
Removing the parts before getting smogged basically.

Yeah, that is what pisses me off too, is that a turbo (generally) will result in equal or better emissions, but still it's not legal. But you can drive a 10MPG Expidition no problem? :bonk:

·
Registered
'00 2.5 RS
233 Posts
Gah! That really pisses me off!

I've heard of people being able to find smog check places that will pass you as long as you pass the actual emissions tests... without worrying about some stupid CARB sticker...

Anyone hear of a shop like this in the Bay Area?

·
Registered
52 Posts
F' California's Laws

Dam Hippies.

But most people I know actually pay the guy to make it pass. Some dudes just have WRX/GC8's. I Envy them. You should buy Calvin's car. Turbo MY00 RS/WRX motor. 4 pot fronts and every other good/cool mods.

·
Registered
190 Posts
The places where I used to get Smog Checks don't even do a visual inspection. I'm just hoping they're still in business when I decide to put a kit on my car.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts