Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think you probably exceeded the recommended break-in rpm limit when you test drove it. The auto trans downshifts if you floor it on the freeway and the revs easily go above the recommended limit. I really don't think it would hurt a thing. Subaru even states it is ok to exceed 4250 (?) for emergencies during break-in. I would think all new cars have recommended easy break-in procedures but the average buyer probably ignores it and drives like a maniac from day one with no ill effects.
As for using synthetic oil, I have always switched to Mobil 1 at 1000 miles with no oil consumption problems in all the new cars I have had. I just put Mobil 1 in my new 02 OBS with no problems. This always seems to be an open controversy. All new Corvettes, Mustang Cobras, AMG M-B, and Porsche come filled with Mobil 1 from the factory so I guess these guys think it is ok for what it's worth. You can always wait a few thousand miles if you're worried.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.