Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2002 Impreza RS 2.5
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I test drove a Impreza 2.5 RS and drove it hard at short periods. Foot to the floor for a period on the interstate, etc. Generally it was kept at a normal 75 or so, but it's the accelerations I worry about. It had 12 miles on it when I got in,
and 30 when I got out. I did not think I would be buying this
particular vehicle, but it looks like I will be. I might've taken it
easier on the new engine had I known.

Can a brand new engine handle that kind of test run without feeling
repercussions later?

Thanks.

·
The first ex-ex-moderator!
00 RS & GSX-R 750
1,446 Posts
It really depends on how high the rpm's were. If you kept the car under 4250 rpm then I wouldn't sweat it to much. Just check tour oil very often, if the piston rings don't seat right you will burn a lot of oil. Change the oil at 1000 miles and don't use synthetic until 4000 miles.

Of course I'm stupid so don't ask me.

·
Premium Member
2002 Impreza RS 2.5
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was an automatic, so I'm not sure how high the RPM's could've gotten. (Didn't watch tach.)

I do want to use Mobil-1 synthetic, as I've done with my old Neon, but was planning on changing oil at 800-1000 miles and hitting it then. What do you think my intervals should be in changing? 1000mi, 2000mi, 4000mi, or just 1000mi, and 4000mi all with petrolium oil then synthetic at 4K?

blakespot

·
00 RS & GSX-R 750
1,446 Posts
I would change it at 1000, but don't go with synthetic just yet. If the piston rings didn't seat because of the over-revving they may take a bit longer to seat properly. I would make the next interval after the 1000 change at 2500. Then after that would go to your regular interval and Mobil 1. I do mine at 2500 unless I have two auto-x events between then I change it after the second event. I hate to be redundant but check your oil level a lot. Especially after hard driving or auto-xing.

·
Premium Member
2002 Impreza RS 2.5
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
puckaveli said:
I would change it at 1000, but don't go with synthetic just yet. If the piston rings didn't seat because of the over-revving they may take a bit longer to seat properly. I would make the next interval after the 1000 change at 2500. Then after that would go to your regular interval and Mobil 1. I do mine at 2500 unless I have two auto-x events between then I change it after the second event. I hate to be redundant but check your oil level a lot. Especially after hard driving or auto-xing.
Ok...

And I wasn't going insane or anything. When I test drove it for about 20 mins I just was doing 40 and shot to 80 a few times then went from 10 to 60 pretty hard a few times. Again, automatic so not sure it would let me go to hard. It had 12 miles on it when I started. I don't think I put my foot all the way to the floor ever.

It sounds like you think I could have screwed the rings. Is that likely? If they did not "seat" (?) becuase of this...will they eventually? Is it a critical no-no in the early statges? I can safely gun it later in its life, right?

·
00 RS & GSX-R 750
1,446 Posts
You can mash the gas just stay below 4 grand. Next time you're on the high way see where the rpm's are at when you gradually reach 80 or so. It doesn't sound like you looked to far up her skirt. And if you haven't noticed it burning to much oil it's not so bad. The rings just need to create a nice seal around the pistons and with the cylinder walls, so the oil doesn't get into the combustion area. I have seen a few cars take up to 7000 miles to stop burning up a lot of oil because the drivers didn't break them in properly. When I test drove mine I flogged it pretty hard. I redlined in a few gears. After I bought it though it was babied until it had 3500 miles on it. I haven't had any problems so far beside a bad idler pulley that ticked. Just watch your revs and our oil for a while and she'll love you for it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think you probably exceeded the recommended break-in rpm limit when you test drove it. The auto trans downshifts if you floor it on the freeway and the revs easily go above the recommended limit. I really don't think it would hurt a thing. Subaru even states it is ok to exceed 4250 (?) for emergencies during break-in. I would think all new cars have recommended easy break-in procedures but the average buyer probably ignores it and drives like a maniac from day one with no ill effects.
As for using synthetic oil, I have always switched to Mobil 1 at 1000 miles with no oil consumption problems in all the new cars I have had. I just put Mobil 1 in my new 02 OBS with no problems. This always seems to be an open controversy. All new Corvettes, Mustang Cobras, AMG M-B, and Porsche come filled with Mobil 1 from the factory so I guess these guys think it is ok for what it's worth. You can always wait a few thousand miles if you're worried.

·
00 RS & GSX-R 750
1,446 Posts
Not trying to argue, but the cars that come with Syn from mile 0 don't have soft chromoly rings either.

·
Registered
174 Posts
the whole when you should switch to syn if you do, argument seems to have turned into one of those "urban legends" of the automotive world... At least I can't find any conclusive evidance that you do damage by switching earlier. I switched at 3000 and haven't burned a drop since. Remember, all it does is make things slippery. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts