Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

121 - 140 of 1742 Posts

·
Experimenter
Tubaru Pickup
3,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #122 (Edited)
just dont forget room for the brat jump seats.
still scratchin my head on bed ideas. dont know how to frame it. I dont want to just throw weight at it. so far every peice has some sort of structural relavence

got a little bracing started. Need to order a new hole saw and my cordless drill is on the fritz

·
Registered
2001 D2 A8L
928 Posts
Won't the tires hit the tube frame on full compression or is it already at full compression right now? I didn't see springs on the struts.

·
Experimenter
Tubaru Pickup
3,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #125
Won't the tires hit the tube frame on full compression or is it already at full compression right now? I didn't see springs on the struts.
thats fully compressed. springs are removed and i had to cut the brake line brackets off rear struts to let it finish dropping. with a 1" front 2" rear lift, my lateral links will be parrellel to ground and so will my steering rods. I just need to hope the coilovers cam be dropped that low and still give me 2-3" of travel

·
Experimenter
Tubaru Pickup
3,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #126
Got pedals tacked in place last night and steering wheel in place. Because I've shifted the wheel down into race car mode, it made the ujoint a lil funny. I think it still turns fine but won't know until I mount it solid. So today is A Pillar brace day, then I can mount a cross pipe similar to the stock cross pipe to mount steering wheel to. I didn't want any pipes aimed at me in case of an accident so this should work pretty well.

·
Experimenter
Tubaru Pickup
3,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #129
Here's yinz dam pics. It steers, feels good enough. Need to get holy shit pedal mounted up so I know where to mount the tunnel tubes. Then it's seat tubes, etcc. Getting real hard to move around in there, would kill for a bigger garage or some sunny and 70's to work outside

·
Experimenter
Tubaru Pickup
3,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #132
Throttles in. Firewall, floor and tunnel gonna be pretty simple. Passenger seat gonna shit over like 2" so I can fit midpipe inside tunnel along side driveshaft. Guess I'm gonna have to order some seats

·
Experimenter
Tubaru Pickup
3,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #134
Ha. I'm kinda bored with it now. It's almost done and I still got at least 3 months til weather warms up. So it's gonna be like a thing here, a thing there until spring when I can get it outside and fully weld and paint it before doing fuel and brake lines and harness

·
Experimenter
Tubaru Pickup
3,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #136
Things I got left before fully welding:

-Tunnel framing, about 4 pipes and a driveshaft carrier mount.
-Midpipe inside tunnel
-trailing arms
-rear diff nose mount
-door crosses
-behind seats bracing
-roof bracing
-bed framing ?
-perf/body inserts
-"bumper" framing
-firewall
-floor and tunnel

All those items are like half day jobs

·
Registered
2 Posts
What machine are you using for all your melting and stitching needs?
If any gussets are being used, where are you thinking for structural support?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Experimenter
Tubaru Pickup
3,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #139
What machine are you using for all your melting and stitching needs?
If any gussets are being used, where are you thinking for structural support?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Been using my fluxcore for tacking. Might get a mig for sticking but I'm using argon in my tig and would need co2 or a mix for mig so may just tig all the body panels. It's just a pain to tig outside.

I'm going to be using most pipe to triangulate the chassis where I can. Other than door crosses, I don't know if I'll have mush plate gussets.

Just finished up the vertical tunnel framing. I have 21" for a seat on left and 19 5/8" on right with 3" exhaust running along trans inside the tunnel.

·
Registered
Turbo, LS swapped Impreza RS
5,166 Posts
Tigging outdoors is a waste of time and money

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

121 - 140 of 1742 Posts