Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

381 - 400 of 1748 Posts

·
95 Coupe, 95 Sedan & 95 Wagon
12,296 Posts
Have you ever seen a crocodile seats in the truck
Turn around sit it down and let 'em bite your butt
See the steering wheel is Fendi, dashboard Armani
With your baby momma player, is where you can find me?
Cruisin' through the parking lot on twenty fours

·
Registered
Turbo, LS swapped Impreza RS
5,172 Posts
I was going to use the same hdpe stuff for the fenders on the front but going to heat shape acrylic instead
Heat shape acrylic you say? What manner of sorcery is this?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Experimenter
Tubaru Pickup
3,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #392
just heat and bend really. This is a peice i tested the other day, about 3/8" thick. Took a while to heat with a heat gun, then just bent in by pressing pretty hard against the counter. It stay's perfectly clear as long as you dont overheat and boil it

·
Registered
5,172 Posts
How scratch resistant is it? Seems like a good way to form some tricky windshield curves.

·
Experimenter
Tubaru Pickup
3,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #394
not scrathc resistant at all really. Acrylic is plexiglass. People have formed it in ovens by heating it to a point were it "lays" but thats a fine line. By the time it lays on its own, its almost ready to boil. Heating it to say 200F you can manually bend it pretty low risk, laying takes like 400 or so

·
Registered
5,172 Posts
Ted you might be thinking of polycarbonate "lexan" that's more common used for windows.
Ahh I wasn't sure if acrylic was another name for lexan. Can lexan be manipulated with heat like acrylic?

·
Experimenter
Tubaru Pickup
3,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #397
I actually had my brain backwards so thanks for getting me to look it up. Acrylic (plexiglass) is very clear and has ok scratch resistance. Poly-carbonate (lexan) is cold and heat formable, almost indestructible and easier to drill and cut without issues. So im going to be buying polycarbonate for the panels.

·
Registered
5,172 Posts
I actually had my brain backwards so thanks for getting me to look it up. Acrylic (plexiglass) is very clear and has ok scratch resistance. Poly-carbonate (lexan) is cold and heat formable, almost indestructible and easier to drill and cut without issues. So im going to be buying polycarbonate for the panels.
Glad I could help haha. So I assume the draw back of polycarbonate is its lack of clarity?

·
Experimenter
Tubaru Pickup
3,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #399
Glad I could help haha. So I assume the draw back of polycarbonate is its lack of clarity?

Its still pretty clear, i guess it just scratches easier. Safety glasses are typically made of polycarbonate to give you an idea of its life resistance

·
Registered
2001 SRP RS Coupe, 05 FXT
351 Posts
Both are clear, but acrylic is definitely tougher to work with if you need to drill holes. On the water jet, I have to pre-drill the holes prior to cutting otherwise they will blow out and chip.

381 - 400 of 1748 Posts