301 - 320 of 1743 Posts

·
Experimenter
Tubaru Pickup
3,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #303 (Edited)
Uh I like the new front

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
How's your steering?. Mines a lil bindy every 90 degrees or so. The angles don't look too bad so not sure if it's 290k mile u joints or if I should look at some other options to smooth it out. It's drive able but the feel is inconsistent.

·
Registered
Turbo, LS swapped Impreza RS
5,169 Posts
I haven't had any binding issues. My steering shaft angle Is no where near 90° though.

·
Registered
5,169 Posts
Make a wire frame of the desired shape in 1/8" tig rod, wrap in fleece, brush on fiberglass resin, now you have a hood.

·
Experimenter
Tubaru Pickup
3,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #311
Make a wire frame of the desired shape in 1/8" tig rod, wrap in fleece, brush on fiberglass resin, now you have a hood.

lol, thats what i been thinking all morning, expect i was planning on 1/4" rod. but then i keep worrying about up lift at 140mph

·
Registered
5,169 Posts
1/4" rod would be next on my list, just a little harder to manipulate. Fleece is super rigid. I'd bet you'd have cracking issues before it lifted.

·
Experimenter
Tubaru Pickup
3,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #313
1/4" rod would be next on my list, just a little harder to manipulate. Fleece is super rigid. I'd bet you'd have cracking issues before it lifted.

sketched in a frame. Going to try and use NURBS to create a surface, been a while so bare with me.

·
Experimenter
Tubaru Pickup
3,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #315
guess I'm going to start on the sheet metal floor, firewall and behind the seats. Then on the next warmer clear day im going to pull the harnesses out of the Forester. Going to print a copy of my wiring diagram and start highlighting everything i need to keep. Hopefully its like 25%

·
Experimenter
Tubaru Pickup
3,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #316
new front sketched in. I need to start getting more front weight conscious. I trial weighed it last night and the front axles at around 1100 pounds. the rears at 650. I still have the battery, dual exhaust, bed floor and side, wing, and a heavy full tank of gas to stick in the back but im not liking my ratio at the moment.

·
Registered
5,169 Posts
Wow that weighed in at quite a bit more than I thought it would.

·
'MURRICA!
Hybrid Camry
5,702 Posts
FYI A gallon of gas is ~6.5lbs.

A 12 gallon tank would be 78lbs. Figure a couple more for the tank itself, that's 80.

Battery we'll say 40lbs.

So that's 120lbs, you're up to 770. You'd need >300lbs of exhaust/bed/wing to get it even, and it'd only be even with a full tank of gas. Further, unless the tank is directly above the rear axle, some of that gas weight will be on the front wheels as well.

But, lacking a 50/50 weight distribution isn't a bad thing. It's more important to keep that weight low and centered, than it is to be even. It'd be *nice* to be even, but I wouldn't prioritize it.

·
Experimenter
Tubaru Pickup
3,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #319
I'd be more than happy with 60/40. I came up with about 2000 lbs on a previous add. Its still about 1000 pounds less than the Forester so I'll take it. If i would have sent like 2 grand more on A513 type 5 i may have save 300 pounds or so.

·
Baby❤Daddy
98L Wagon
27,852 Posts
rear mount the rad? right behind the drivers head..like this? yes i realize trophy truck, but same principle.

and you could throw a full size spare in the bed to add some weight as well.

301 - 320 of 1743 Posts