Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1995 Subaru Impreza
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just sold my 06 Sti for a 1995 impreza, don't ask why, but I'm basically starting from scratch if you wanna call it that. The problem I have is going around corners. When going around a long corner and hitting a bump my rear end rolls out bad. How do I fix this problem? I used to be able to hit the same corner doing 60 and now it scares me to go above 45! Will a stiffer sway bar and rear strut fix it?

·
Registered
1995 Subaru Impreza
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Sti, hard to compare the two I know. And as far as tires go, I have the same Yokohama's I had on my 06. Slightly narrower of course, but hard to believe that can be the issue..

·
Registered
1995 Subaru Impreza
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The tires don't lose traction at all, it feels like the whole back end swings out. With that dead dog 1.8 na that's in there for now, I'll never lose traction haha

·
Registered
all the wagons
1,534 Posts
you might not even have a rear sway depending on the trim level... my 94 wagon didnt have one.

the sti spring rates are definitely higher than the L, not to mention the L probably has blown suspension.

once the replace worn out things and upgrade some the 95 should out handle the bigger and heavier sti...

·
Registered
1995 Subaru Impreza
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll have to investigate that, its very likely. I bought the car from some idiot who rigged almost everything on it. After the snow goes away I can look, until then I guess.. It feels like it doesn't have one.

·
Registered
1995 Subaru Impreza
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Also while on the subject of breaks and suspension. Anyone know of a good place to find upgrades? Not a fan of stock beaks and ghetto rear drum "breaks"

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,315 Posts

·
Registered
1995 Subaru Impreza
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
How is that cool? I bought a ghetto rigged car, Hella cheap and in good shape. However every time I crawl under the car I find something new to fix. For instance he put on the ver 4 bumper with fog lights but didn't bother to wire the fog lights? Really?

·
Banned
4,438 Posts
1. absolutely check if it has a swaybar out back. By spec, it shouldn't

2. Totally different track, totally different bushings...especially given that the ones in the 95 are nearing 20 years old at this point, whereas the ones in your 06 were far newer. Then you get into totally different struts, springs, alignment and everything else, and you simply have way too many variables involved to do a simple left/right comparison IMHO

·
Registered
'04 PSM WRX Premium
8,339 Posts
You're comparing a 2006 STI to a 1995 base Impreza. This is your main issue.

To upgrade the '95 to get close to or exceed the STi in terms of handling, you're going to need new struts and springs (or coilovers and proper balancing), larger swaybars, at least 225 summer tires on 17 inch wheels, etc.. and some other odds and ends.

Probably loosing battle at this point with 20 years on the car already. You probably have the original struts, which aren't even working properly, all season tires on 14-15inch wheels, and no rear swaybar.

·
I kill threads!
2000 Ver 6 STI - 1996 Gravel Express
3,749 Posts
When going around a long corner and hitting a bump my rear end rolls out bad. How do I fix this problem?
I had the same problem. My struts were going bad.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts