Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2006 Forester X/none turbo.
Sorry if this a repeat question.(i tried reading other threads)
My scan tool reads correctly, new temp coolant sending unit installed. (2 wire type)
Cooling fan will not kick on when motor gets HOT. but will when i click A/C button on.
QUESTION: how can i test the dash gauge to see if its operational at all?

Thanks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Was the plug the same? I thought the coolant temp sensors were three wires
I thought they were all the same also, however they are not. Depends on time of production for 2006 models. Some are 2 wire some are 3 wire. And yes its plugged in and works. i tested with my volt meter and a torch to increase temp..

·
Administrator
2000 RSTi
1,701 Posts
The sensor is on the same crossover pipe, the plug is in the same harness that has the 2 or 3 wire plug

·
Administrator
2000 RSTi
1,701 Posts
No, the one wire in your pic is for the oil pressure switch. The single wire gauge temp sensor is screwed into the same crossover pipe as the 2 wire in your pic.

Subaru changed it's location ever couple years, it could be driver side, passenger side, front or back. I've seen em all.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No, the one wire in your pic is for the oil pressure switch. The single wire gauge temp sensor is screwed into the same crossover pipe as the 2 wire in your pic.

Subaru changed it's location ever couple years, it could be driver side, passenger side, front or back. I've seen em all.
AHHHH.. ok so a game of "Hide and seek".. thanks ill look for it..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Well i'm SOL.. i can't see anything on the cross over pipe other that the 2 wire. I'm going to call my dealership and see if they will give me a diagram and location for the 2 wire. Being all i can find online is diagrams from the 3 wire systems.. (ill update if i get lucky and find it)

·
Administrator
2000 RSTi
1,701 Posts
There is the possibility your car doesnt have 2 sensors. All my Subarus to date have had 2, from 91 to 03 model years. Maybe they removed it.

·
Administrator
2000 RSTi
1,701 Posts
I looked up your car on parts.subaru.com, looks like they reduced it down to 1 temperature sensor. The diagram shows a 3-wire, triangular plug. And looking at your pic, the wiring or plug appears to be modified? Here's the pertinent page:

I read on a different forum that one of the 3 wires is for the gauge cluster.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I looked up your car on parts.subaru.com, looks like they reduced it down to 1 temperature sensor. The diagram shows a 3-wire, triangular plug. And looking at your pic, the wiring or plug appears to be modified? Here's the pertinent page:

I read on a different forum that one of the 3 wires is for the gauge cluster.
the modifications was me making a repair to 1of the 2 wires had a bad spot. Prior to the fix, i was not getting and heat reading to the ECM. after i fixed the wire. i was showing a temp on the ECM. Also prior to the fix the car was hard to start and hesitated for the first 500 ft, then cleared up and idle right. I only noticed it when i bumped the wire while it was at rough idle and it immediately cleared up and smoothed out. (that problem kick my but for days....)
as far as i know it always had a 2 wire. not a 3. i looked at a 06 impreza at the junk yard and it also was a 2 wire. However a 06 legacy 2 cars over same motor was a 3 wire. go figure

1 - 13 of 13 Posts