Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
The first ex-ex-moderator!
00 RS & GSX-R 750
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the help of Storm and Scoober the Flex's and EDFC are installed and it's very nice. The coils were an easy install, the EDFC a pita because it was my first one. If I had to do another it would a walk in the park. If you have questions just ask.

·
00 RS & GSX-R 750
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
EDFC - Electronic Dampening Force Controller. It let's you control the dampening from inside the car. You can go from full soft to full hard in about 5 seconds.

·
Registered
410 Posts
puckaveli said:
EDFC - Electronic Dampening Force Controller. It let's you control the dampening from inside the car. You can go from full soft to full hard in about 5 seconds.
:drool: Sweeeeeeeeeet... :drool:

·
Registered
2000 RS, silver, blah, blah, b
200 Posts
I had that in my old car, except that it was stock for the car. A 1992 Ford probe GT. What a heavy peice of shit. Then again I didn't take care of it or know how to tune it. Ehh.. got a better car now. But yeah that EDFC is pretty fricking cool. Where did you get it from?

Brett

·
00 RS & GSX-R 750
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got them from ILP Preformance in PA. Faraz and Jeff are good to work with. They survived my 1000 questions and had everything to me in no time.

·
Premium Member
MY98 2.5RS Coupe Brilliant Red
880 Posts
I second that the directions for the EDFC were rediculous. I sat there for a solid 10 minutes just TRYING to figure out what was going to happen. Went through it a couple of times as "dry runs", or without the lock-tite on the threads. And I quote the "directions" included...
Screw the motor to the temproary screwing position and when the screwing becomes tight further screw it about two turns with a minus screw driver though the motor shaft rotate with the motor.
I wasn't sure if I was reading a sleazy magazine or directions.

And I second the WHEEEEE on the Flex setup. They're quite nice and I can't wait to try them ou at a track event. Just would like to have a second set of tires when the set I have on now decide to quit.

AJ

·
at apex, on throttle
'99 RS, '02 Legacy, '10 'beca
1,184 Posts
I've contemplated these numerous times for my wagon..

What is the size of the EDFC unit for display/adjustment that goes in the car??? Just wondering if I'll even have room for it in a good place when all is said and done.

Thanks - Jon

·
00 RS & GSX-R 750
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
The unit is suprisingly small. It's 4" deep, 3.5" wide, and 1" tall. The motors in the above pics are about 2"x2". It would fit were the ashtray is easily. I mounted mine in the spot where the cup holder is in the console between the seats. The bulkiest part to deal with is the extra length of wiring you get. You need four wires to tap into for the unit. A constant, a aux power, a light, and a ground. Tein sends everything but the tools to install everything.

I love the EDFC. It's not a neccesity, but it is so nice to have. Going from full stiff to full soft in 5 seconds is great. For instance last night I was on a side street getting ready to get on the freeway aprroaching a "25mph" ramp and a WRX gets up on my butt before the ramp. I tell the girl I'm with "Hold on to your boobs this is going to get bouncy(big boobs)." I hit the button, full stiff, I hit the gas he's on my bumper going into the ramp, I'm four car lengths on him by the end of the ramp, a few seconds later goes by me, but my point was already proven already. He gives me a thumbs up and moves on. I hit the button, full soft, her boobs are free to move about the cockpit.

·
at apex, on throttle
1,184 Posts
I'd like to see pictures of where you mounted the control/display module... I think I've got a perfect place for it on my '97 OBS.

Have you had any noise/creak issues?

I will probablly run STi top hats in the rear and likely in the front too. If they will work with the EDFC.. as I've got a wagon... so I need it quiet inside (for others).

Thanks - Jon

·
00 RS & GSX-R 750
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I try and snap some pics of the EDFC location. I don't have a camera but I can bump one.

Since they are solid pillow ball top mounts they are a tad noisier than stock. The fronts you really can't hear. The rears aren't terribly loud either. The loudest part is the squish the shock makes when it's at full soft. And I haven't put my back seat back in yet so I bet that will reduce some noise as well.

The Flex units come with the top hats so you don't need others. I have read that the STi top mounts wouldn't work anyway. I think that the noises most people complain about are things that have come lose.

·
at apex, on throttle
1,184 Posts
My rear seat won't cover any noise I would get from the rear pillow mounts so that is why I ask.

Take a close up shot of how the EDFC adjusters mount to the coilovers... that would show me if I can squeeze STi top mounts in there or not.

I'd have to come up with some kind of sound dedening if I couldn't run STi mounts... sure my tranny mount, engine mount, & lightweight flywheel add some noise vibration as well as the exhaust, but I really don't want hear my suspension working, at least not in the cabin... I've heard bad things of Wagons with solid rear mounts.

On with the pictures already!

Jon

·
at apex, on throttle
1,184 Posts
I saw a Nissan Silvia at the Car stereo deal in KC this weekend. USACA or something like that. I took pictures of the adjustment EDFC controller and the strut tops with the EDFC modules on them.

Looked pretty sweet... really makes me want some, but I'll probablly have to settle for something else.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts