Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2002 WRB WRX
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend told me that if I took my heads off to check timing belt slip damage I would need to get the heads machined to fit back on and it wouldn't be worth it and I should just buy used heads. The thing is, if his theory holds true those new heads I buy will need to be machined as well. I am hoping that I can take it off and replace the valves and seals. So what do you guys think?

·
Registered
04 OBW
14 Posts
Removing the heads doesn't mean you need them machined in order to bolt them back on.

On the other hand, if the belt broke/timing jumped, then you're likely looking at a minimum of new valves.

Take them off and inspect everything.

·
Registered
2002 WRB WRX
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Removing the heads doesn't mean you need them machined in order to bolt them back on.

On the other hand, if the belt broke/timing jumped, then you're likely looking at a minimum of new valves.

Take them off and inspect everything.
Yeah I was expecting at least valves but I just wanted to make sure he was wrong. He had told me that the headgasket kind of melts and forms to the head and it won't fit once its off unless it is machine. That seemed a bit off so I decided to make sure. Now I need to rip this baby apart and see the damage.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts