Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Subaru Impreza RS BRP
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone removed the tail light lenses for the stock GC8s? From what i see there are a few tabs on the bottom and on the top and you should be able to pop it off?

Thanks, OWT

·
Registered
1999 RSTi coupe
402 Posts
If it's anything like the headlights, you'll have to heat up the adhesive so you can separate the lens from the housing. I think 10 minutes in the oven @ 200° should work. At least that's the trick for headlights.

·
Registered
1995 Subaru Impreza
17 Posts
I just removed mine to put in the jdm clear/red ones in, made the mistake if doing it outside while it was snowing. I was just excited I guess but that adhesive gasket was a pain in the ass to say the least. I just used a screwdriver to pry it loose since I didn't care about the stocks. Nothing broke, probably a better way to do it but screw it, job is done and new ones are in and look great!

·
Banned
4,438 Posts
I just removed mine to put in the jdm clear/red ones in, made the mistake if doing it outside while it was snowing. I was just excited I guess but that adhesive gasket was a pain in the ass to say the least. I just used a screwdriver to pry it loose since I didn't care about the stocks. Nothing broke, probably a better way to do it but screw it, job is done and new ones are in and look great!
sounds like you changed the whole light assembly, I think OP wants to just separate the lense from the housing

·
'MURRICA!
Hybrid Camry
5,700 Posts
I tried it once. It did not end well.

There are little posts that are embedded into both the lense, and the housing. Trying to separate them cause it to insta-break.

Heating them up is also a problem:

·
Registered
00 BRP RS Coupe
740 Posts
Ya, I completely broke apart a tail light trying that once...

·
Registered
2000 BRP 2.5 RS Sedan
201 Posts
If you could 3D scan the open housing, and make/heat form lexan sheet to match the old curve, you could make some great custom tail lights!

-Vu

1 - 11 of 11 Posts