Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

sway bar or strut tower bar?

3K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  sarasube 
The front strut bar may or may not do anything on our cars. Because the front struts are mounted so close to the firewall (behind which is a large bar connecting the two sides of the frame), a front strut bar doesn't really accomplish much. However, some people say they notice a difference. And when I can afford one, I'll get one for the looks if nothing else.

The rear strut bar will have a difference because the only thing really bracing the rear strut topss against each other is the rear seat (foam and wood) and the the rear deck (which is rather thin too). It has a minimal effect on understeer beacause most of the force from one wheel to the other is transfered by the sway bar, (which is what actually affects traction.) However, the strut bar will help the chasis stay more composed under hard cornering, therefor, reducing body-roll and suspension bounce.

Basically, my plan is to get a rear tower bar after i get in my springs and strut tops (already have sway bar, endlinks, ALK, struts, and tires). And I'll get a front bar when I have some extra money floating around (yeah... right).

kevin

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.