Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The shop that did my swap ended up installing Forester (I think they're 98-02) front control arms into my GC with 05 STi steering rack. This led to my stock sway bar not fitting back on the car.

I ordered a Cusco bar for the 02-07 WRX/STI but the mounting holes in the control arms are too small for the end links I've got - I have both Perrin and Cusco on hand.

Do I need a different bar and or links to make this work? Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
160 Posts
That's a weird jam you're in. A stock forester bar wouldn't work, same with any N/A bar because of the turbo crossmember. How much of a size difference are the holes for the endlinks? If it's barely too big I would look into reaming them out a little to make them wider. It's not really a structural part of the control arm as they seem to be welded on after the fact.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The thought had crossed my mind to drill them out for sure, but I wanted to ask before I commit to that path. Its close. This is the only picture I have and its hard to see the size because the nut is on the end link.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I mean, aside from swapping out the control arms for JDM or GD with spacers that seems to be the easiest fix for your application. IF you upgrade to aluminum LCAs at some point you'll be getting rid of the forester ones anyway.

·
Registered
00 BRP RS Coupe
778 Posts
Sounds like your control arms were "downgraded" in the process. Swapped in turbo crossmember with control arms out of an n/a car...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There's pros and cons with any option it seems like. I suppose you either have the wider track with the STi arms, or you need shims on the RS arms. The Forester arms give you the right track width and don't need shimming so there are some advantages.

·
Super Moderator
2000 RSTi
1,138 Posts
The JDM B4 turbo legacys (the 3rd gens) have aluminum control arms and the narrower track width.

I haven't tried it out yet, but I believe they will be the newer style that don't need spacers to fit on a GD turbo crossmember

Reactions: johnxx

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got one side in tonight after drilling it out just a little bit. Had to go in to deal with family issues but I think its gonna work. I am wondering if I'm gonna get noise because that Perrin endlink I used is jammed into the control arm and then I couldn't fit a single washer between the sway bar and the link but we'll see how it goes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts