Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
2003 rs2.5 BRP
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
in my area there are No L's around for sale, but there are tons of outbacks. would it be worth swapping a wrx into a outback or should i just way for the perfect L to drop into my lap out of the sky one day? Is there anything i should know about outbacks or anything that might make this decision easier for me?

· Premium Member
'17 Impreza Sport, '15 OB 3.6R
13,557 Posts
They're quite a bit larger of course (unless you're talking about the Outback Sport), so I'd personally stick with an EJ255 at least. The EJ20 engines would be pretty low on torque, for so large a car.

Otherwise, no there's no issue at all, other than it being a less common swap, and therefore perhaps more of a wiring mystery. But there have been a few, particularly if you check on sites like:

www.subaruoutback.org
www.legacygt.com

· Wiring Guru
01 RS, 97 Ducati
418 Posts
Do it. There are a bunch of guys out here in Jersey who have been swapping Legacys. The weight is about the same as an 02+ WRX so you won't notice the difference. Definately throw in a lightweight flywheel and catless uppipe when you do the swap as it brings the motor to life.

Z

· Registered
94LSwagonswap OL WRX and
2,369 Posts
Yeah ppl out here in nj have been doing it since about 2003. Outback/Legacy, doesnt really matter with the 2.0. Actually pretty decent as Z said with uppipe and light fly. I would also recommend a reflash of some sorts and possibly some injectors and a bigger/better turbo.

The first Outback we did was a 2.0 with vf23/pinks/uppipe/TBE/light fly/IC hoses. Thing was HOOT!

· Premium Member
95 L, 96 OUTBACK
2,970 Posts
What year Outback? I have a 96 and it only weighs in at 3020#. That is full weight too. Now the next gen stuff (00+) is 3400-3500# according to the books. I got mine weighed on a scale so I know first hand what it weighs not book weight. Not to mention the suspension is different. WRX stuff bolts up to 95-99 legacys.

I have Whiteline springs, GR2 struts and a whiteline ALK. It handles well but being a wagon you can tell it has the extra weight compared to my 95 coupe with P1 stuff on it.

· Wiring Guru
01 RS, 97 Ducati
418 Posts
Legacy wise I have swapped WRX engines into at least one of the following a 97, 98, 99 and an 01. The 01 we put a 04 STi engine and transmission into. The others were all either stock or then upgraded USDM WRX motors. Something is just not right when you see an outback wagon hauling ass down the road with a loud ass 3" turboback on it.

Zephyr

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.