Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
00 Impreza Outback Sport
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, just a quick question here….I'm doing a swap of steering rack on my 2000 OBS and I'd like check on here if there's anything I need besides the steering rack assembly itself and GC to GD steering column link from L&E. Do I need to buy the 2004 STi pressure and return line too?

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance all!!!

·
Registered
1998 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS
1,471 Posts
They should all line up. From my understanding that's all you need the rack and the column link. Then again I do have a WRX swap with the power steering assembly. I'm sure they are all very similar and should plug up just fine.

·
Registered
1999 AW 2tone
1,609 Posts
As long as the rack itself mounts to the crossmember, you shouldn't need anything else. I re-used my stock lines with an '06 rack, but it was mounted to an '06 crossmember. Other than a column adapter I think you're good to go, I'd do the bushings though if I were you makes a wonderful difference in responsiveness.

·
Registered
00 Impreza Outback Sport
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They should all line up. From my understanding that's all you need the rack and the column link. Then again I do have a WRX swap with the power steering assembly. I'm sure they are all very similar and should plug up just fine.
Thanks liltoua!

·
Registered
00 Impreza Outback Sport
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As long as the rack itself mounts to the crossmember, you shouldn't need anything else. I re-used my stock lines with an '06 rack, but it was mounted to an '06 crossmember. Other than a column adapter I think you're good to go, I'd do the bushings though if I were you makes a wonderful difference in responsiveness.
Thanks flon3y!

About the bushings though, should I buy the one for the STi rack assembly or I get the one for the OBS? Could you also please send me the bushings part numbers?

Thanks in advance and sorry for all the questions.

·
Registered
00 Impreza Outback Sport
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Whiteline ksr202 Steering - rack & pinion mount bushing

that should answer all your bushing questions

the lines should be in the same location and same fitting size for an easy swap. While you have the old rack out, I'd go ahead and replace the inner tie rods, boots if torn or cracking and the 4 o-rings that are on the hard lines on the rack.
should I use the inner tie rod outer tie rod came with STi or use the one on my OBS?

·
Registered
00 Impreza Outback Sport
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi Guys, I need help please…I tried fitting in the '04 steering rack to my '00 OBS and it looks like its gonna bolt on the car just fine except for the hoses both High Pressure & Low Pressure line might not fit. The bend of the lines that connects to the reservoir is different and I don't think I can bend it. Do I have any options at all? I can't use my OBS hoses because they're pretty worn out and leaking crazy and plus the ends to connect to the power steering rack (to the '04 rack) is a bit shorter than the STi (STi has a longer fittings)

Any suggestions at all would help and if anyone has done it with pictures would be SUPER AWESOME!!!

Thanks All!!!

·
Registered
1999 AW 2tone
1,609 Posts
I ended up using the stock lines from the OBS mounted to the '07 rack I got, not sure if it's the same as yours but everything went together just fine.

·
Registered
00 Impreza Outback Sport
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I ended up using the stock lines from the OBS mounted to the '07 rack I got, not sure if it's the same as yours but everything went together just fine.
Thanks flon3y! I'll try to fit it in…do you happen to have pictures of your engine bay and also the bottom part of your rack where it connects? Thanks in advance!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts