Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2000 rs brp ej20g
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am stuck in a dilema. My car (2000 rs coupe) has a version 2 swap. With the merge wiring done by ECS. And i recently blew the motor, oil flew out from the drain pan (somehow plug broke off) and the car ran with no oil long enough for me to get out of the freeway. :curse:

so I know i need to rebuild it and might as well build it better.

and my question is this

Should i stay with the version 2 and rebuild it tougher specs and go crazy with it.

Or should I buy a version 5/6 sti ra clip.

How much of a difference is there in wiring? And will i have to find another rs wiring harness and start from scratch?

Has this been done? i search but i must suck at it :confused:

·
Registered
'99 OBS V7 STi Swap
850 Posts
if you upgrade to a v5/v6 swap to my knowledge you're going to have to redo the wiring again. probably won't have to start from scratch as you could do teh same merging to the new harness but it could be a lil messy having 2 merged harnesses in there. but might no tbe bad at all. best bet is to call up ECS or Garage tuning and ask.

·
Registered
STi swapped SF5, WTF?
2,933 Posts
You can use any turbo shortblock you want to replace the one you damaged, just go 2.5 STI with the heads/wiring/ecu you already have in your car.

·
Registered
2015 WRX+TE37ta
4,819 Posts
Well the v5/6 motors that I've seen have not been very reliable and most end up having to swap the bottom end when it spins a bearing.

·
Registered
2003 Outback Sedan H6
2,274 Posts
^ Even the 207's? Wow. This is news.

Anyway, the wiring is definitely different. Your best bet would be to swap in a different bottom end or do some crazy rebuild with yours, since your car is already wired for that swap. It'd be the cheapest route and probably the smartest, since the G is a great motor with a lot of capability.

·
Registered
'99 OBS V7 STi Swap
850 Posts
keep in mind if you swap in a new age 2.5 STi block you're going to need new engine management and a tune for it to run properly. if you go this route i would recommend upgrading injectors as well.

·
Registered
2000 rs brp ej20g
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok after much thinking over the weekend I decided MAYBE that I should just rebuild my current short block OR buy an axxis stg 2 block (I really kinda wanna keep my closed deck :( ) and port my heads. Are my heads any good or should I just find some 02 wrx ones.

As far engine management is concerned will an apexi power fc be good enough? or should i just go all out and find a hydra?

Thank you guys

·
Registered
2011 A4
1,863 Posts
no way dude. your bro comes to the Happy hour on thursday...has told me about your car...we have the same motor..sux whats happened to your car..
btw ive got some 2.0 heads...

·
Wiring Guru
01 RS, 97 Ducati
357 Posts
If you go up to even a V3 or V4 you are going to have to do a rewire. It can be done on your current harness. Like others have said, replace your block and call it a say.

Z

·
Registered
93 Imp EJ20K flat black
47 Posts
boils down to what EM you have

stock- stick with a rebuit setup

other wise slap a 255/257 block in there

noah ran the 257 block with his g heads for 3-4 years

·
Registered
2000 rs brp ej20g
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
no way dude. your bro comes to the Happy hour on thursday...has told me about your car...we have the same motor..sux whats happened to your car..
btw ive got some 2.0 heads...

yeah i have been meaning to go to that for a while... I did like the 2.0 it had in there and im sure a well running version 2 is awesome. Mine always had something wrong with it :mad:.

I will prolly buy the axxis stg 2 and port my heads in the next week or two. I will go from there and see what EM tuners in our area like best.

But i have decided to stick with the wiring i have in there now. And just fix whatever necessary.

care to pass by and see if my wiring is right? lol my fuel guage never worked too :confused:. so im sure im running something wrong

·
Registered
2000 rs brp ej20g
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
boils down to what EM you have

stock- stick with a rebuit setup

other wise slap a 255/257 block in there

noah ran the 257 block with his g heads for 3-4 years
who is noah? and where can i reach him for wisdom :sick:

·
Registered
2000 rs brp ej20g
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
hey guys, so i have been looking around and i just wanted to ask which head gaskets to i buy to match up a ej257? and I am going to slap a new oil pump and water pump while im at it. are my ej20g heads similar to wrx heads? with the water passageways in the same locations? if that was the case i can just get cometic head gaskets for that application. And try to go with the thickest ones because i have read the compression is to high with the 257

i need help guys!

thanks!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts