Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im still kinda of new to subarus i just gotta 98 rs and im lookin to get the most power out of it without spending 8,000 on the V.8 motor so can you guys give me your opinions on the EJ20 V.6 and the older EJ20 twin turbo out of the 95's and such? ....and if you guys have suggestions on other motors please say what you're thinking thank you

·
Registered
2001 Impreza RS coupe
1,034 Posts
i feel like i read on here about people having problems with swapping the twin turbo engine into gc's

·
Registered
95,L,BLUE
843 Posts
from what i have herd a jdm twin turbo's are from legacy's. if i remember correctly the reason they don't do those are the second turbo gets in the way of the steering wheel.

·
yep. you heard me.
‘18 E63s AMG wagon & 10 Subarus
6,473 Posts
there are the decent performance EJ20's from a slew of JDM subarus, imprezas, legacys, etc. they are the base EJ20 turbo engines and the easiest for wiring would be from an impreza, they arent hard to find if you have between 1000 and 1500 and you call places like JDMHOT and JHOT Imports when they get new containers in. also check ebay. if you are going the route of a basic JDM EJ20, they will all have about the same performance, so just get a single turbo one from an impreza or legacy.

Then there are the STi version X engines. the STi engines are the best performance, especially the R/RA versions (though the main difference between a particular version STi/R/RA is the ECU which mostly the same can be obtained by a pro tune). You can almost expect to spend as many thousand as the version number, so a V5 would be like $5k with transmission. the V3/4 are probably best price-vs-performance and can be had for 2500-3500 if you find one.

and dont bother with the twin turbo engines unless you want to do a bunch of converting to single turbo which is a hassle when you could just as easily get a single turbo engine

your question of "legacy twin turbo vs version 6". to specifically answer that, the twin turbos are probably the worst choice for an EJ20 turbo engine, and the v6 is probably the best choice for the same class (v7 as well). however the "version 6" means STi version 6, only came from imprezas in japan, and they are hard to find. i dont think ive ever seen a v6 specifically. seen v7s and v8s and 3/4/5 but not 6 strangely. what you will probably want to get is a basic EJ20G single turbo

EXAMPLE
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JDM-...002QQitemZ120288690353QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

·
Registered
2000 OBS
150 Posts
You don't have to necessarily run the right hand drive, just need to do the single turbo conversion. But you can spend damn near the same price just buying the EJ20G as the tt plus the conversion. Just my two cents.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts