Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.5RS BRP
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so we finished the swap. 2000 RS with 05 STI motor.

the ecu doesnt turn on the main relay also. i had to use a constant ground on the green wire coming out of the main relay and connecting the black wire to ignition. is that bad?

been trying to get it to start up for the last few days but nothing. fuel pump primes, ecu turns on and everything. but the injectors and the spark plugs arent firing.

i got an OBDII reader and pulled this code: p1574. i did a search and all i got was the name of the code, Key Communication Failure.

does anyone know what this means?
is my key no good?
would this prevent me from starting the car up?

i was under the impression that if the correct(chipped) key isnt present or near the antenna, then the car would start up then die a few seconds later.

anyhelp would be greater appreciated.

·
Registered
2015 WRX+TE37ta
4,819 Posts
Sounds like the immobilizer dude. From what i've seen, the car turns over but never starts if the immobilizer is activated.

You need the key ring, key, key cyl, immob unit and 05 ECU. I think. If you can't get all that original stuff, you will have to probably tow the whole car to a dealer that is cool with you and have them hack it. This, by the way, is not following legal code per se. Most dealers will not do this.

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.5RS BRP
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i need the key cyl also?

i have the key, the antenna/key ring, immobilizer unit and the ecu.

how would i add the key cyl in?

·
Boxer rumble FTW!
2005 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS
621 Posts
^^ yeah it sounds like your 2000 RS key/ignition stuff wont work with the 05 STi ecu. This would cause a crank/ no start condition. ECS or GT would be very helpful at this subject i'm sure. i wasnt aware that this was an issue on swapping subies, till now.

·
500whp club
00RSti
3,726 Posts
vinceGC8 said:
i need the key cyl also?

You need absolutely everything involved with the ign system.

if it is all from the same car you should be good to go, if the parts are all out of different cars you will need to drag the car to the dealer and have them flash the key to the car.

·
Registered
223 Posts
vinceGC8 said:
i need the key cyl also?

You don't need the cylinder. You have everything that you need. Sounds like the key/unit/ecu are not sync'd or the key is not inside the halo.

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.5RS BRP
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
rynine said:
I had the same issue. I just bought an 04 ECU and was done with it.

so u used an 04 STI ecu on a 05 STI harness? i dont think that works. the 04 STI and 05 STI are pretty different because of the damn immobilizer wired in.

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.5RS BRP
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
does all 3 need to be sync?

i was thinking about borrowing a friend ECU and key to see if it will start up. will that work? or does the immobilizer unit need to be sync also with the key and ECU?

any one know where i can get slow blow fuses?

·
500whp club
00RSti
3,726 Posts
vinceGC8 said:
does all 3 need to be sync?

i was thinking about borrowing a friend ECU and key to see if it will start up. will that work? or does the immobilizer unit need to be sync also with the key and ECU?

yes they all 3 need to sync, the only other way is to have the dealer flash the key to the rest of the system.

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.5RS BRP
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
but they cant flash the key to the rest of the system unless i have the special code that comes on the keychain when u buy the car right?

maybe i'll try my local junkyards and see if i can get lucky with a key, ecu and unit.

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.5RS BRP
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

i asked the guy i got my motor from and he said that some lock smiths will be able to program/sync keys to the ECU. what he said that he has done before is: a customer bought an ECU with immobilizer. they called a locksmith to sync his system.

so a locksmith that says he can supposely get it to sync up will be coming a little later on to see if he can do it. he said as long as the ECU has a code on it, it will work.

i'll let you guys know how happy or disappointed i am at 3:00 PST.

·
500whp club
00RSti
3,726 Posts
vinceGC8 said:
but they cant flash the key to the rest of the system unless i have the special code that comes on the keychain when u buy the car right?

maybe i'll try my local junkyards and see if i can get lucky with a key, ecu and unit.

No no, that little code is the key code, the dealership can cut keys based on that code, it doesnt effect the imobolizer. the dealership can re flash the imobolizer unit at any time.

·
500whp club
00RSti
3,726 Posts
vinceGC8 said:

i asked the guy i got my motor from and he said that some lock smiths will be able to program/sync keys to the ECU. what he said that he has done before is: a customer bought an ECU with immobilizer. they called a locksmith to sync his system.

so a locksmith that says he can supposely get it to sync up will be coming a little later on to see if he can do it. he said as long as the ECU has a code on it, it will work.

i'll let you guys know how happy or disappointed i am at 3:00 PST.

I hate to piss on your parade but i dont think this will work, IIRC the dealership has a diagnostic tool that is used to do all the flashing, when i was at nissan it worked the same way. you had to be a dealership to have the equipment needed to perform the key program.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts