Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody. I am thinking of doing a motor swap sometime in about a year from now but am already looking for things and parts. I know I will be able to get everything I need, but I have a few questions right now. If I were to do a frankenstein type 2.5 motor build where are some good places to get a wiring harness from? If I told them how I was building it would they be able to wire the right type of harness. Or would I just use a regular 2.5 harness with a few modifications? And also what are some of the em recomendend from some of you have done swaps.
Thanks,
Kenny

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I am in no rush but another things is I have been looking into buying a motor swap ready to be put in with a harness and ecu and just building it. Any ideas and advice are appreciated, and pointers in which way to go.
Thanks

·
Registered
06' Leg Spec B - No more RS :(
403 Posts
I'm guessing you are driving a 97' L? If so I am in the same boat as you and many people will tell you to get the exact plan you want to do and stick to it. They all say do it right the first time or you will be deep into figuring out were it all went wrong. The best advice I have got was to find a wrecked WRX or STI and take EVERYTHING you can from it.

Another big question is what would the cars purpose be? Ie daily driver/ autocross machine or full out track?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea 97 L. Yea that is the reason I posted is I have multiple ideas that I know I could do. I am not really worried about it becuase I have time but I am trying to think ahead so it is done right. I was thinking about going on the line you are with buying a wrecked car and swapping everything but still just open to ideas. Purpose.... to have a fun drive around car.. maybe go out to the races chill and if someone runs their mouth just walk em over the bridge or something real fast =]

·
Registered
06' Leg Spec B - No more RS :(
403 Posts
Oh and I was about to get underway with my swap immeadiatly and then I looked at the rest of my car and how stock it is considering all the bolt ons I had would have to go pre swap and said.. Wow my suspension has a 150k on it and is junk from NH winters so I decieded to take some of the money I had saved on the swap and bought P1 springs kyb agxs and some group n tophats. Going to wait for the sway bars cuz I think I will have fitment issues after I swap the crossmember for a wrx or sti one.

But yeah Buy suspension first save power for the last step. Garunteed to have something that can still drive you to work.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have suspension. The only things I need are strut bars which I am getting when I get back in town. Then I will need to get a front sway bar but I will get that whenever. And endlinks have already been ordered to arrive at my doorstep when I get home.

·
Registered
2x01 2.5RS, 97 gm4
2,208 Posts
don't change front sway. you will change cross member and will need turbo sway bar. let me tell you buy those brembos that are posted. or buy some 4pt / 2pt set up. your stock brakes will only get you into trouble. also have alot of money saved up, swap will cost you way more then you will expect. trust me. also i recomend going usdm. it seems more expensive and they are slower but you will save in the long run. also finding upgrades for usdm is extremly easy. i say do it your self or don't mess with it. all shops will take for ever and you will run into issues with them. just do a lot of research. go to nasioc.com, look there too, swaps/conversions there has some good stickys. also look around here. flip a good 10-20 pages back in this section.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yea I was not sure if I was going to get a front sway bar. I am also doing brakes shortly after my project car is gone. Then I will be saving for a motor. I will be doing all the work myself I have just been thinking about the wiring part of it. But if i get a motor with a harnes there will be no problem.
Thanks,
Kenny

·
Premium Member
06 Lexus Rx400h
1,661 Posts
i know it sucks.. you want it all now lol. but yeah.. i would have saved alot of time and $$$$$ doing it slow and right the first time.. even though i didnt swap its still been an up hill battle.. but i've finnaly hit the top and starting to come over the hill... alot time later.. good luck with everything and deff take your time and do it right.. oh yeah dont forget about your tranny!! i did that mistake too.. and oops...

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yea I am deffinetly taking my time. And I will not forget a tranny or else my car wont be going anywhere. Haha

·
Registered
2x01 2.5RS, 97 gm4
2,208 Posts
if you have a high power goal then dont mod. just save and buy sti donor car.
you will have your :
engine, tranny, brakes, suspension (sways and stuff) rear end, maybe better hubs, rims, interior. so yeah. that is what i'm doing. and i'm swaped already, all my stuff will be taken out and i will sti drivtrain it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts