Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello, I have a lot of questions about the ej20 85kw. I'm going to rebuild the engine and I would like to ask how to increase the performance, what to adjust and some gadgets, who has them, if anyone, please let me know. the exhaust has a 63mm through. the intake will be original. exhaust pipes also original. what would anyone recommend me thank you

·
Administrator
2000 RSTi
2,030 Posts
As long as the ej20 is from the same generation of electronics as your car, you should be able to bolt it right up. I went from ej22e to ej25d on the same ecu back in the day, with no wiring.

I'll be honest with you, compared to other manufacturers not as much development has been done on the non-turbo subaru engines. Which is why I recommend getting the biggest N/A engine you can find and swapping that in (assuming you still want to stay naturally aspirated). I have an ez30d H6 motor swapped in one of my cars, that makes 162kw in stock form.

·
Registered
98RS, 98RS, 99RS
708 Posts
They probably do a visual inspection of the engine bay. I had a lot of questions to answer trying to sneak my ej205 GF through state inspection, they wondered why the exhaust came down from the top rear of the engine bay

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi, I have a great deal of inquiries concerning the ej20 85kw. I will modify the motor and I might want to request that how increment the presentation, what to change and a few contraptions, who has them, if anybody, kindly let me know. the exhaust has a 63mm through. the admission will be unique. exhaust pipes additionally unique. what might anybody suggest me much obliged

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yes, the chamber is checked. well, I'm more interested in what can be done for little money. as they say, a lot of music for little money. for example, if you put a gt fuel pump. or any modifications. here in the Czech Republic, those who have money have performance, but I know that it can be done even with little money, not such performance, but it is possible. that's why I'm contacting you.

·
Registered
98RS, 98RS, 99RS
708 Posts
It really isn't worth the money to modify a ej18, ej20, ej22 or ej25 NA engine for any sort of power. It's been done on here a few dozen times and almost every time it would have been cheaper/easier to just swap a turbo engine in or turbo the car. They really don't make many performance parts for the NA EJ engines for this reason, the money you'd spend to make a significant performance gain is better spent on a turbo engine.

·
Administrator
2000 RSTi
2,030 Posts
Yes, sorry to tell you, there is no cheap way to make good power with a non-turbo Subaru.

Just think, you will need an aftermarket ECU to tune the engine. Then you'll need to pay a tuner each time you make changes. Plus headers, exhaust piping, high compression pistons, head porting and polishing and valve work. So you'll be spending €1000s just to get 20-30kw or so.

With a turbo model, same budget, you can easily gain 100kw or more.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
like no way what about a lightweight flywheel. which candles are better or cables to the candles or exhaust, for example, and what to polish the intake ducts. and the bigger intake flap. I understand that the turbo is better, but somehow it is possible to make some performance somewhere

·
Registered
98RS, 98RS, 99RS
708 Posts
It isn't worth the time and money, you could better spend that elsewhere on the car (like suspension). You'd be lucky to get maybe 20hp at the crank porting and polishing the heads. Flywheel doesnt add power, it just allows the power youre making to more adequately supply the wheels.

If you had a v8 a valve/port job would make noticeable increases in power, but you're trying to modify an engine that was designed to be reliable and gas efficient from the factory, it was never meant for modifying for performance. If you want perfoemance, just get a WRX. Itll save you a ton of time and money.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
and what about the steering, can it be somehow adjusted to a better one with a gearbox. or some better pins. advise if you have edited some photos or something who will be willing

1 - 20 of 20 Posts