Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

Swap Electrical Testing

642 views 14 replies 3 participants last post by  camaroz1985 
yup. things to check:

1. lights
2.cluster
-check for check engine light, should come on with the key on. If it doesn't...something isnt right
3. ebrake light

etc etc. just make sure you be VERY careful when you connect the battery. Touch the terminal and watch everything for smoke or a burning smell. Dont want to connect it then realize something is shorted and melt your entire harness.

psh, i dont have a motor....just grounded all of hte wires to the chassis...no biggy.

Yes, you cant test much, but you can test that there aren't any major problems like shorts. My car is wired (by me) (awaiting my built engine) and i put the battery in and tested the ECU, fuel pump, lights etc.

I don't.

Well if you ever do an STi and don't have the engine in it does some really wacky stuff.

STi stuff is weird, i did an 07 STi swap into a 02 WRX wagon....we didn't know that we needed to "calibrate" the pedal (throttle by wire)...imagine our suprise when we took it out for a test drive and after going close to WOT, the car idles at 2000rpm no matter where the throttle is at. Lesson learned.

how wacky came it get without an engine in the car? lights flashing or something?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.