Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

Suspension???

2K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  Streetman 
#1 ·
I know I will get alot more enjoyment out of a car with a kick ass suspension setup. What would you recommend as an all inclusive suspension setup with a budget in mind? what are thoughts on whiteline gear, prices? thanks for any help
Dave

#2 ·
a ~20mm rear swaybar goes along way in making the car handle better. Also, do tires. the scoob responds very well to good rubber. after that, it depends on $$$, how harsh you're willing to put up with, and driving conditions. On the cheaper side of things is STi suspension (IIRC you have to buy it used now, but still very very nice). Another cheap route is KYB AGX struts and Eibach springs. You can also then get the Ground Control threaded collars for adjusting ride hight. There is also the Prodrive setup which is very nice as well. Above that in the money range is Tien and Leda Coilovers. I've never been in a car with these. Top dollar is DMS. They have a 40mm coilover that's not too expensive for the street. If you plan on racing, espeacially on a loose surface, the 50mm is the way to go. Very trick, but you pay for it. And then the ultimate, if you happen to have ~$25k to spend per corner, is the Olins Group A suspension :D That is obviously rally only.

#3 ·
10th Warrior is correct. Again, depending on your budget and your preference on harshness you could also look into the R-1 adjustable coils... they're STIFF but handle well and are very inexpensive. As for controlling body roll, if you're inexperienced with suspension tuning don't go too crazy with swaybars. I'd recommend adjustable front and rear bars with solid endlinks and upgraded bushings. You may also want to consider the Whiteline anti-lift kit but be warned, not many auto-x classes will allow you to run the ALK.

#5 · (Edited)
http://www.p-s-t.com/kyb.html has had the best price on KYG AGX for a long time. There are many Whiteline vendors, support the ones that have good customer feedback.

The Eibach Pro-Kit, and the Whiteline Low springs works nicely with these struts. The Eibachs are more comfortable while the Whitelines are a bit stiffer - very stable on smooth highway runs. If your area has bad roads and potholes I strongly recommend the Eibach's. Oh, and the Whitelines sit about .5 inches lower than the Eibach after the springs have settled.

The anti-lift kit works great, does exactly what it says it will. If you do, get the ones with the "softer" bushings. I've got the originals and my dashboard cries every time I run over those reflective lane markers.

#6 ·
I'm looking for an all around setup that will let me raise the car up a bit for off road/rallycross. Anyone got the hot ticket for rallycross and autocross? Or is that just going to not be feasable? BTW, I don't give a damn about ride quality. I want handling damnit! God knows with a 1.8 liter, I'm not going to get power.

#11 ·
Streetman said:
I'm looking for an all around setup that will let me raise the car up a bit for off road/rallycross. Anyone got the hot ticket for rallycross and autocross? Or is that just going to not be feasable? BTW, I don't give a damn about ride quality. I want handling damnit! God knows with a 1.8 liter, I'm not going to get power.
Rally cars typically dont raise the ride height on suspension set ups... optimum for performance is right near stock ride height.

what you need is firm dampening in your suspension....

DMS would be the best on the block for that type of thing. but that's a bit of $$ and a serious commitment :)

KYB/AGX's are good for street and some rallycrosses, but i would recommend STi or P1 springs so you dont lower the car too much and destroy the firm handling you're going for...

and who says 1.8L's cant kick arse? :)
Runner up 2002 National Pro Rally P Class Championship...

hope this helps.
Jamie
www.subiegalracing.com

#12 ·
10th Warrior-

What springs do you have? Is that the setup you had when you came here? I'm pretty sold on those struts, and even found some for $350, new. Not bad. Just need to know what spri9ngs I'm going to use now.

Well, that and how I'm going to pay for all of this.:D

#16 ·
Methinks $2500 shocks on a $1700 car is a little outta whack. Throw in the $1400 version 4 seats I want, and I'm really nuts. I suppose I'll be going with the KYB AGX setup.

Now, what springs? I'm leaning towards Whiteline.

Is everyone sick of me bragging that I only spent $1700 on a fully functional 97? I'm pretty happy with my purchase.:biggest:

#18 ·
10th Warrior-
What springs do you have? Is that the setup you had when you came here?
le stock. its a french company ;) i have stock springs and struts currently, and as i did the two times i have wasted away at Streetaritaville. i'll be putting the AGX on with the stock springs in the beginning of march. i can't do springs and stay in G Stock for auto-x. whitelines should be good, so are the eibachs. and then you can get the ground control threaded collars and have poor man's adjustable coilovers. for me personally due to the amount of unsealed surface driving i do, i wouldn't want to lower the car any. i already have concerns about the AGX's durability for rally-x but we shall see. its just really difficult to improve on the gravel/dirt performance of the stock RS suspension on the cheap. speaking of which, where are you getting such a good deal on AGXs. i still need to get the rears (got the fronts used).

#20 ·
RallyImprezive said:
I bet she is running the venerable DMS 50mm, which goes for $2500
With unlimited funds...I would proly run DMS 60mm or Ohlins. Mmmm.

-Andy
yep... on the rally car.. DMS 50mm full rally spec...

NOT street friendly people!!
my RS is on stock suspension...
i'll upgrade it here sooner or later.
likely to 40mm DMS....

cheers all.
Jamie
www.subiegalracing.com

#21 ·
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6767&item=1876093566

$350 NEW, "Buy it Now" price on ebay. No bids yet, and only 7 hours left. I'd call him and offer $250, but that's just me.

Maybe I'll buy your used suspension off ya. What are you doing around Thursday, February 20??? For now, I'm focusing on starting a new business finally, and probably will keep the 1.8 Liter Bandit cheap. Remember, it was only $1700. Wow, all this fun in the snow for only $1700.

Or, there's always the possibility that this business takes off like gangbusters, and I get the DMS's. They can't be any more unfriendly on the street than the stock pogo sticks it came with. Then I'd just need to find a damn dirt road longer than half a mile in Indiana.

Albert-
Bite me.
;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.