Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at suspension for G-stock so i can be more competitve for next year.

I'm trying to deside between 3 options.

1. KYB AGX (cheap, Work well, and lots of people use them)

2.Koni Struts from tire rack (ran them on the neon and they worked great)

3.Cobb valved Koni inserts (will they work with 2.5rs struts or do i need to buy strut bottoms to go with them)

Feel free to cut down or talk up any of the above.

thanks

Erik S.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
i run GS on the stock suspension. quite frankly, i like to drive on gravel too much so i wouldn't be willing to put any of those struts on my car, esp the konis. they'd be destroyed after a few miles. i've found that i do fine withouth swapping struts, at least on a local and divisional level. tires are the most important thing, IMO.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah i put the stock 2.5rs struts on and destroyed them on dirt roads. but after i put my car out in the middle of the field.

I desided i dont need to wrap my daily driver around a tree.

So i'm looking at turning my car into a tarmac destroyer.

I'll leave the dirt driving to Jared the guy i co-drive for.

Erik S.:nuetron:

·
Premium Member
Two Mini Coopers!
10,629 Posts
I'm running the Konis.

Besides the fact that they are a BITCH to install, they are very nice.

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
I would check out KYB if price is your main selling point. Since you aren't changing the springs, they'll hold up just fine and be stiff enough for a good improvement over stock.

If you want a long term investment, the Koni can be rebuilt or revalved for a nominal fee. This is a plus if you decide to go with stiffer springs later on. I find that the friction is much less in the Koni vs the KYB but that's a minor issue. You'll have to cut your stock strut body open and bore a hole in the bottom to mount the Koni insert.

Your level of intent is the deciding factor.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I used KYB's for a long time before jumping to Coilovers, and they did just fine... I haven't tried the koni's but they are supposed to be good, and the option to rebuild and revalve is great.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I don't know about availability on the custom valved Koni's from Cobb. I know someone (he'll speak up if he wants to) that's been waiting FOREVER for the set he's got coming. Something like he placed the order in April and still doesn't have them.

The KYB's work OK and are inexpensive. Right now, I don't think I'd notice a big difference between the KYB's and the Koni's, but a better driver probably would. The KYB's are a cheap way to improve your cars performance in transitions.

Andrew

·
Registered
254 Posts
I've had the KYBs for a couple years, and like them quite a bit. I really like them for street driving, as I can make it basically stock like for long drives, and stiffen things up when out on the backroads. I have found them to have limits for autocrossing, since they adjust both compression and rebound combined. I would like to increase rebound without making the compression too high, especially on courses with sweepers.

Konis have a fixed compression and adjustable rebound valving. The stock Konis (from the dyno graphs I've seen) have the compression about right, but the rebound doesn't go as high as the KYBs, so they aren't quite as good on courses with lots of transitions.

I'm waiting on Cobb's re-valved Konis, which will have higher rebound valving than stock Konis. This is assuming they ever get built...

Chris H.
www.subrew.com

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think i might have to go with the KYBs beocuse i might need to get a new motor or pistons in the near future, i'm getting a little bit of piston slap on the now cold colorado mornings.

but they dont sound too bad and i'm sure they will work alot better then the stupid stock ones that are almost gone.,

Next question i talked to KYB and they said on the wagons that the shock skirt would rub on the tire. But there suspose to be the same as the 2.5rs struts. and i have 2.5 rs struts on my car right now.

I dont get it is there any early suby wagons you guys know of that run the AGXs

Erik S.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts